Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] YMMV? Credit Karma offering 50 CT dollars to activate triangle MasterCard

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2020 1:29 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 8, 2013
561 posts
544 upvotes
London

[Canadian Tire] YMMV? Credit Karma offering 50 CT dollars to activate triangle MasterCard

seems this is for new applicants only. Wife got email from credit Karma saying to sign up for triangle MasterCard ( free card no fees), get approved and then spend 50 on first purchase, get 50 back in cad tire cash.

Everyone knows ctfs is the best credit cards around due to the easy payment system and being able to set up one time payments which counts as pad from website, plus that juicy cad tire cash...

Go go go

YMMV?

it seems clicking this link below should be good for a triangle card for anyone. please confirm if you do it.

https://www.creditkarma.com/notificatio ... de11f6cfa8
Last edited by ryansluman on Jun 17th, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
CK link for WE Mastercard with $75 bonus.

https://www.creditkarma.com/notificatio ... de11f6cfa8

Expiry: Unkown.
316 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10866 posts
3613 upvotes
I think someone at canadian tire knows my name and rejects me because i have been rejected twice now. Yet i have been approved to every other credit card known in the books in canada. Just weird
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1653 posts
8510 upvotes
  • $50 is not worth a hard credit hit/new account for just the money
  • The "easy payment PAD" CT has does work well, but with the introduction of PaySimply, PayTM, Plastiq, etc - it's become less relevant/valuable as other cards have bigger net bonuses with those services
  • I've never heard CT cash called "juicy" haha, overall CT isn't super price competitive these days
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2013
1218 posts
638 upvotes
CALGARY
Good if you want roadside assistance.
Jul 8, 2013
63 posts
59 upvotes
AMHERST
I’ve applied for a Triangle card twice now, and the exact same result both times:

A hit on my credit report, a “your application has been received” email, and then *silence*.
Not a followup email. Not a piece of mail. Nothing.

(I only applied the second time because I forgot about the credit check and thought I messed up the first application)
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1523 posts
1069 upvotes
Really, the only CT card worth getting is the World Elite for 2 reasons IMO:

1. Roadside assistance Gold plan included
2. 7c/L CTM on premium gas (91+) at Gas+ (3c/L 87, 5c/L 89)

1. likely applies to a lot of people, but 2. may not.
The Bill Pay system is nice but I personally don't have a huge use for it and like others mentioned, you should look into PayTM/Pay Simply/etc. if that's something you want to pursue.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
11323 posts
2959 upvotes
Scarberia
Messerschmitt wrote: I think someone at canadian tire knows my name and rejects me because i have been rejected twice now. Yet i have been approved to every other credit card known in the books in canada. Just weird
did they email u the rejection? i still haven't gotten any emails on approval or rejection yet...its been over a week now since i applied, thx
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2005
3146 posts
656 upvotes
Leverage wrote:
  • $50 is not worth a hard credit hit/new account for just the money
  • The "easy payment PAD" CT has does work well, but with the introduction of PaySimply, PayTM, Plastiq, etc - it's become less relevant/valuable as other cards have bigger net bonuses with those services
  • I've never heard CT cash called "juicy" haha, overall CT isn't super price competitive these days
sports1 wrote: Really, the only CT card worth getting is the World Elite for 2 reasons IMO:

1. Roadside assistance Gold plan included
2. 7c/L CTM on premium gas (91+) at Gas+ (3c/L 87, 5c/L 89)

1. likely applies to a lot of people, but 2. may not.
The Bill Pay system is nice but I personally don't have a huge use for it and like others mentioned, you should look into PayTM/Pay Simply/etc. if that's something you want to pursue.
Please stop recommending PayTM, there are no advantages to using PayTM because their so-called "rewards" system is bogus as there is nothing you can redeem your points for.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
2744 posts
753 upvotes
North York
Messerschmitt wrote: I think someone at canadian tire knows my name and rejects me because i have been rejected twice now. Yet i have been approved to every other credit card known in the books in canada. Just weird
CT uses Transunion , while most credit cards use Equifax to get your credit info. Get your free credit info from Transunion (BTW Amex also uses them) and also ask CT direct question why they reject your application - they must provide the reason.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6908 posts
6636 upvotes
The Prairies
sports1 wrote: The Bill Pay system is nice but I personally don't have a huge use for it and like others mentioned, you should look into PayTM/Pay Simply/etc. if that's something you want to pursue.
PayTM and PaySimply both charge 2%+ fees, depending on the card network, and/or payment type.
You’d need a credit card that nets you the fee, plus 1% to beat bill payments with the CTWE, or a card that earns 2.5%+ over the regular Triangle card.
I can’t think of any cards that earn this in the “everything else” category, aside from limited signup bonuses.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
6908 posts
6636 upvotes
The Prairies
ag2000 wrote: CT uses Transunion , while most credit cards use Equifax to get your credit info. Get your free credit info from Transunion (BTW Amex also uses them) and also ask CT direct question why they reject your application - they must provide the reason.
Although TransUnion is their bureau of choice, CT does not always use TransUnion,.
Enough data points have confirmed this already.
I also wouldn’t say most lenders uses Equifax either.
I can think of, and show proof, that more lenders pull TransUnion than Equifax, hands down.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1523 posts
1069 upvotes
Noob1ee wrote: Please stop recommending PayTM, there are no advantages to using PayTM because their so-called "rewards" system is bogus as there is nothing you can redeem your points for.
I don't personally use PayTM and never liked their model. But I understand others may find their own use cases for it, so it's up to people to decide for themselves.

And I agree with Leverage.. the point isn't to generate rewards with PayTM, it's to use those to offset fees.
coolintheshade wrote: PayTM and PaySimply both charge 2%+ fees, depending on the card network, and/or payment type.
You’d need a credit card that nets you the fee, plus 1% to beat bill payments with the CTWE, or a card that earns 2.5%+ over the regular Triangle card.
I can’t think of any cards that earn this in the “everything else” category, aside from limited signup bonuses.
Yes those are pretty good points I failed to mention earlier. Typically you won't beat CT Bill Pay unless you have a 4% accelerator card.

CT BP also has a (IMO) fairly limited selection of payees. But I think for most people using it on a day to day basis (utiities, CRA, etc.) it would be ok.
Sep 16, 2012
618 posts
438 upvotes
GTA/London
Leverage wrote: If you're using these services for the in-house rewards you're doing it wrong - use these because your credit card points/cash back offset the fee and you come out ahead (eg - Amex Plat ~4% return on PaySimply bills with 2.25% fee)

PaySimply and Plastiq don't even have in-house rewards.
Important to remember that the Amex Plat 4% no cap is a once in a lifetime time of opportunity (for 3 months as well)- usually we use Plastiq or PaySimply to hit MSRs or for other SUB's that have a cap.

If you're not trying to hit an MSR or a have a crazy promo like the Amex Plat- the CTFS bill pay is definitely still one of a kind.
💳: Amex Pers Plat, Scotia Amex Gold, Rogers WE, CTFS WE, Brim WE
Apr 25, 2014
99 posts
71 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks OP. I checked my email and didn't get anything, and the recommendations on the CK website don't seem to have anything.

Are you able to see any promo code in the "contact information" part of the application at the bottom that maybe you could share? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
2744 posts
753 upvotes
North York
coolintheshade wrote: Although TransUnion is their bureau of choice, CT does not always use TransUnion,.
Enough data points have confirmed this already.
I check my own reports on the regular basis. - all CT data pulls show on Transunion report only, not a single data pull from Equifax. Can you share where your DPs are coming from?
coolintheshade wrote: I also wouldn’t say most lenders uses Equifax either.
I can think of, and show proof, that more lenders pull TransUnion than Equifax, hands down.
I am very interested in this DP, I had tons of different credit cards and 70-75% of my credit info pulls are from Equifax.
According to this blog https://canadiankilometers.boardingarea ... ada-check/ and adding TD Canada Trust (Canada) which uses Equifax only (personal experience) unlike their US counterparts - Equifax appears to be used by majority of lenders.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

frostiex