Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tires] Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Driveway Sealer Plus, 17-L - $30 (25% off)

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2017 12:19 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2004
940 posts
303 upvotes

Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Driveway Sealer Plus, 17-L - $30 (25% off)

Deal Link:
Price:
$29.99
Savings:
25%
Retailer:
Canadian Tires
Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Driveway Sealer Plus, 17-L - $30 (25% off)
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust- ... 2515p.html

Seems like a good driveway sealer...

Epoxy Shield Driveway Sealer Plus provides three times the coverage of conventional asphalt sealers
Dries jet black and to the touch in 10 minutes
Roller or squeegee application
One coat application
Easy clean up, with low odour
Covers up to 650 sq ft
Size: 17 L (4.5 gal)
9 replies
[OP]
Dec 12, 2004
940 posts
303 upvotes
sassysue wrote:
May 5th, 2017 7:33 am
Any comments on quality?
I don't have an asphalt driveway but when I did and researched sealers few here on RFD recommended it so had it on my CT sales alert notification...
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3481 posts
612 upvotes
I used it before , it seem ok, but the problem with sealing is, make sure you don't do it too often, it needs adheres probably, and when it is hot, u will see tire marks,etc. all my neighbors I notice the same thing, and they all using different brands.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1383 posts
33886 upvotes
Montreal
Worked well on my driveway last year (first time I sealed my own driveway). Used a squeegee to avoid roller marks but ended up with visible squeegee lines when you looked at the driveway from a certain angle.

I needed to do 2 coats as this first coat left a few areas with speckles that needed a second coat (think of painting a wall even with "one coat" paint, you still need that second coat for uniformity.

I had a few oil/gas stains which I cleaned using their cleaner and the primed using their primer. This spring, the driveway still looks good EXCEPT for where I applied the primer - the sealer didn't adhere there!. Rustoleum was good and refunded me my money and told me to specifically NOT apply the primer next time (so what's the point?!).

I'll be using it again to seal it this year ONLY because of the area where it didn't adhere to - the rest of the driveway still looks great.

I would highly recommend getting a paint mixing attachment for your drill and mix it well prior to using. Additionally, the coverage stated on the label is a bit of a stretch, buy double what you think you'll need and return what you don't use to make sure you're not stuck mid driveway without any sealer left!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

NOW:
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3805 posts
3884 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brownie85 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 9:52 am
NOW:
Wow, just one year and it's looking like that, yet you still consider it "worked well"..... I'm speechless.

Mine starts to look like that after 4-5 years minimum.

This stuff is junk.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1383 posts
33886 upvotes
Montreal
That is where the primer was applied - everywhere else is ok.

Which product do you use?
Dec 24, 2007
611 posts
166 upvotes
Kingston
I've always had good luck picking off the professional guys when they're in the neighborhood type thing. They'll toss out a quote, you can easily haggle them down 30-50 percent. A couple hours later, they clean power clean, prep, mask off interlock etc, spray apply hot petroleum sealer that's good for 3 or so years.

So an average cost of about $20 per year and it actually looks good, lasts years and you don't have to do any work. Make no mistake, driveway sealing is messy work. Wear shows you're willing to throw out after you're done if you do it yourself!
Jun 30, 2009
586 posts
84 upvotes
Vancouver
I've done it myself and it looks good immediately after. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to last more than a year or two. I don't know if I didn't apply it right but it's gotten all patchy after 2 years.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3805 posts
3884 upvotes
Toronto, ON
brownie85 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 11:17 am
That is where the primer was applied - everywhere else is ok.

Which product do you use?
I've had the best luck with Resistoseal red top from Rona. It goes on real smooth and like I said, I don't have problems with it for 4-5 years. Make sure you get the more expensive red top which is still under $30. There is a cheaper green top one for <$20, but you get what you pay for.