Travel

Canadians can drive to U.S. for COVID-19 vax and avoid quarantine, Ottawa confirms

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2021 4:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1803 posts
828 upvotes

Canadians can drive to U.S. for COVID-19 vax and avoid quarantine, Ottawa confirms

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5432906

Does anyone have any information on this such as costs and particulars including how "sticky" CBSA will be in enforcing (no stopping)? I imagine many Canadians have parcels that are waiting to be picked up in border towns.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6476 posts
2712 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally, I would do a lot of research and get confirmation about this because based on the comments I've read about this story, it doesn't sound like the border in either side is allowing this (US POE won't let you in for this and CBSA will not let you skip quarantine because you did this).
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3589 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
As indicated by michelb, I would do my research for the reasons stated- plus, you need to have a letter from your doctor reading that it is medically essential that you have the second shot, plus one from the pharmacy/doctor etc. in the U.S. providing the vaccine - and no you can't do any shopping. Basically, you are putting the onus on your doctor. As seniors we are not a drain on the health care system - just the opposite. I would not want to ask my doctor for such a letter and my husband would not want to ask his. Both of our doctors would have to lie and that is not a position we would want to place them in.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6476 posts
2712 upvotes
Ottawa
Blanche123 wrote: As indicated by michelb, I would do my research for the reasons stated- plus, you need to have a letter from your doctor reading that it is medically essential that you have the second shot, plus one from the pharmacy/doctor etc. in the U.S. providing the vaccine - and no you can't do any shopping. Basically, you are putting the onus on your doctor. As seniors we are not a drain on the health care system - just the opposite. I would not want to ask my doctor for such a letter and my husband would not want to ask his. Both of our doctors would have to lie and that is not a position we would want to place them in.
Good point - I completely forgot about the "medical requirement"!
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
12094 posts
15158 upvotes
Vancouver
I can't stop thinking about the movie Bornholmer Strasse. Thousands of East Berliners arrive at the border to West Berlin in November 1989 after hearing a government official report on TV that the border would be opened. Border guards have have been given no such order to open it. It's classic German humour—understated and slightly dark.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9586 posts
1552 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Given that it requires a doctor's note, you can only go to your appointment and back, and there's no guarantee you'll actually skip quarantine; I'm not sure if this provision is actually as much of a loophole as people would want it to be.
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
I heard the US border services may have nixed it. Saw something in the crawl they may only allow if you have other essential business.

Looks like Biden is playing politics with the border now.
[removed for signature violation]
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: Given that it requires a doctor's note, you can only go to your appointment and back, and there's no guarantee you'll actually skip quarantine; I'm not sure if this provision is actually as much of a loophole as people would want it to be.
My dr is fine to write a note for my family and all 4 of us drive down for our second shot sooner. But US customs may not allow. Have to check. Also frees up added shots here. Haha. I'm fine with having to stay home if they make me. Not like I don't now anyway.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
3027 posts
19862 upvotes
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10643 posts
5652 upvotes
Markham
Such a mess and incompetency
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
smartie wrote: Such a mess and incompetency
No one follows the quarantine rules anyway. Why all the fuss about blowing them off?