Home & Garden

Canadians getting ripped off

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2014 6:30 am
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Nov 29, 2011
203 posts
33 upvotes

Canadians getting ripped off

If you have tile floors, you need to read this. I was in the USA last week and looked at a tile floor cleaner," Favor" by J&J, for only 3 bucks. I thought "How bad could it be?" I pay over $9.00 for J&J tile cleaner here ( for the SAME formula called Pledge).Well, this darn stuff is amazing, better than Bella Ceramica Swifter and Bona. The shine is incredible and cuts work in half. So I asked J&J , whats the deal, why the price gouge? Here is their Facebook reply"

" We certainly apologize for the frustration here. Our products are more expensive in Canada as they are technically "imported" from the USA. If you have any further questions on that matter, feel free to give our Canadian Pledge experts a ring at 1-877-506-7352. In the meantime, you can always visit our friends at [email protected], as they regularly offer coupons for Pledge products. Their website is: po.st/bobIGF. We hope this helps!

Yeah. I told them I would "import" my own on my next cross border trip.
6 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
16329 posts
13838 upvotes
GTA, ON
Probably got tariffs on it. The Canadian government taxes every bloody thing that comes across the border.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25182 posts
10210 upvotes
Socially Distanced
This is a known phenomenon, manufacturers charging more to Canadian customers vs US ones, they claim every reason in the book and whatever they can invent (and is easily debunked) but they know Canadians will pay it so they charge it, while US customers will just look elsewhere if they are overcharged
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6631 posts
1298 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Probably got tariffs on it. The Canadian government taxes every bloody thing that comes across the border.
You can look at the container for the country where it was manufactured and if it was in North America then because of NAFTA they paid NOTHING to get it across the border other than transportation costs and a small fee charged by their customs broker to clear it.
Sr. Member
Nov 18, 2008
780 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto
Just look at auto parts, huge margin and dirt cheap in the US compared to here.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
25182 posts
10210 upvotes
Socially Distanced
woof wrote: You can look at the container for the country where it was manufactured and if it was in North America then because of NAFTA they paid NOTHING to get it across the border other than transportation costs and a small fee charged by their customs broker to clear it.
You pay more in freight and PDI for a car made in oakville, cambridge or woodstock then americans pay for the same car shipped form here to there
[OP]
Member
Nov 29, 2011
203 posts
33 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: This is a known phenomenon, manufacturers charging more to Canadian customers vs US ones, they claim every reason in the book and whatever they can invent (and is easily debunked) but they know Canadians will pay it so they charge it, while US customers will just look elsewhere if they are overcharged
Yes you are right. I should not have been surprised. I see this price gouging with cosmetics, ski equipment and other things, just never saw it at 3x the USA price, so it really surprised me.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)