Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canadian Tire

DEWALT 192 Piece SOCKET SET $139

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2015 4:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1965 posts
334 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] DEWALT 192 Piece SOCKET SET $139

Seems like a good deal to me! I wanted the stanley ones that come on sale onces and a while but the black finishes is a turn off. chrome is much easier to clean.

anyone else think its worth the buy?

Normally there 299

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dewal ... U6cb9NVhHw
60 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
5973 posts
5839 upvotes
BC
Canadian Tire Warranty:

This product carries a special warranty. Please see your local Canadian Tire store for details.

I'd definitely look into this before buying. Dewalt isn't really known as a hand-tool company, but I think they were recently bought by black & decker which is mostly entry level quality. Buying Mastercraft brand is my choice for a set like this mainly because if anything breaks, you walk into your nearest CT store and walk out with a replacement. Stanley is supposed to be decent quality, but not sure how their warranty issues are handled.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1965 posts
334 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: Canadian Tire Warranty:

This product carries a special warranty. Please see your local Canadian Tire store for details.

I'd definitely look into this before buying. Dewalt isn't really known as a hand-tool company, but I think they were recently bought by black & decker which is mostly entry level quality. Buying Mastercraft brand is my choice for a set like this mainly because if anything breaks, you walk into your nearest CT store and walk out with a replacement. Stanley is supposed to be decent quality, but not sure how their warranty issues are handled.
says lifetime warranty on the pakcaging
Nov 20, 2008
814 posts
383 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: Canadian Tire Warranty:

Funnily enough, "American Machine & Foundry Co., Inc. sold it to Black & Decker in 1960". It's not recent. And DeWalt is miles better than Mastercrap. The only problem is warranty, and CT has that beat. Still, the quality is there. It's also better than Stanley equivalents (aside from maybe Bostitch tools, which are only sold at Wal-Mart).
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4236 posts
3069 upvotes
Montreal
Dewalt was bought by B&D in the 60's, so pretty much every Dewalt exists today is B&D to begin with.

Not sure what they are doing recently, but they are making things outside of brand's traditional range with the dewalt hand tools, and stanley fatmax power tools etc. I guess they are saturating the market even if the sub brand diversification bites into each other's sales.
Banned
Jan 14, 2015
1586 posts
84 upvotes
Saw it for 79 at Canadian tire downtown. Didn't think it was a good brand. Will go back to pick it up now.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1355 posts
1178 upvotes
Brampton
I picked up the 174 pcs Mastercraft maximum universal socket set. It was $95, and I was able to score $40 free in gc over the weekend at the reopening promotion of the bovaird store... So I pretty much paid $67 after taxes.
Nov 15, 2007
133 posts
170 upvotes
North-east
Just been to Canadian Tire to check this Dewalt set. Definitely good quality, but incredibly heavy.
I would have bought one, but the weight is a show-stopper as I intend to move it regularly.

Got one of the similar Stanley sets instead. Most other large socket sets were also at deeply reduced prices.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1708 posts
408 upvotes
i went to look at this today too... ended up getting the 128 mastercraft set for $44. Just needed a basic socket set and couldnt justify spending 100+. As the previous poster mentioned, most are on sale up to 70% off.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1355 posts
1178 upvotes
Brampton
I realized the set I bought did not have a socket adapter for use with a drill. Do the $44 kit and Dewalt, Stanley kits have them...1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" adaptors
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1965 posts
334 upvotes
bigzinc10 wrote: I realized the set I bought did not have a socket adapter for use with a drill. Do the $44 kit and Dewalt, Stanley kits have them...1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" adaptors
u can buy a drill adapter easy
May 11, 2015
2 posts
Burlington, ON
Its a pretty good deal on a nice set. I have the 1/2 inch set and have been waiting for the 3/8 and 1/4 to go on sale. I'd scoop it up. In fact might even though I already have the 1/2 " set already.
Aug 9, 2010
508 posts
445 upvotes
I'd stay away from this, personally. Cyberspider calls Mastercraft "Mastercrap", but Mastercraft socket sets are actually excellent quality. The only bad thing I can say about them is the cases are horrible.

I have a 233 piece Mastercraft socket set that I've put through hell. I've beaten on the end of my ratchet with a hammer countless times and I've yet to sheer a tooth. The one thing I've exchanged is the bit adapter for the screwdriver because the spring steel which holds the bit broke. Even then I just walk into CT and they give me a new one.

You buy this set and even with a "Lifetime warranty" you'll be shipping your tools away each time you want a replacement. How long are you prepared to go without your tool(s)?

You really think they're better quality than Mastercraft? I worked at Canadian Tire for ~3 years and the thing we replaced/repaired most were the ratchets. I don't remember replacing a single socket. The ratchets we did replace had gone through hell. I don't know if the quality has gone down in recent years but I can tell you I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Mastercraft sockets, wrenches, ratchets etc. But like anything, review before you purchase. The one thing you won't catch me buying are Mastercraft power tools.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1965 posts
334 upvotes
sportkite wrote: Just been to Canadian Tire to check this Dewalt set. Definitely good quality, but incredibly heavy.
I would have bought one, but the weight is a show-stopper as I intend to move it regularly.

Got one of the similar Stanley sets instead. Most other large socket sets were also at deeply reduced prices.
Oscar11 wrote: i went to look at this today too... ended up getting the 128 mastercraft set for $44. Just needed a basic socket set and couldnt justify spending 100+. As the previous poster mentioned, most are on sale up to 70% off.
went there myself, picked up the dewalt. very good quality. was turned off by stanley cause of the black finish. chrome is easier to clean. saw the mastercraft too but, wwas never impressed by the quality from the past stuff i bought from that brand
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
1355 posts
1178 upvotes
Brampton
Where do you guys recommend getting adapters? Cheapest I've seen is about $7 for a set of 3 including 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" at princess auto.
Dec 24, 2007
495 posts
141 upvotes
Nemrod wrote: I'd stay away from this, personally. Cyberspider calls Mastercraft "Mastercrap", but Mastercraft socket sets are actually excellent quality. The only bad thing I can say about them is the cases are horrible.

I have a 233 piece Mastercraft socket set that I've put through hell. I've beaten on the end of my ratchet with a hammer countless times and I've yet to sheer a tooth. The one thing I've exchanged is the bit adapter for the screwdriver because the spring steel which holds the bit broke. Even then I just walk into CT and they give me a new one.

You buy this set and even with a "Lifetime warranty" you'll be shipping your tools away each time you want a replacement. How long are you prepared to go without your tool(s)?

You really think they're better quality than Mastercraft? I worked at Canadian Tire for ~3 years and the thing we replaced/repaired most were the ratchets. I don't remember replacing a single socket. The ratchets we did replace had gone through hell. I don't know if the quality has gone down in recent years but I can tell you I wouldn't hesitate to buy more Mastercraft sockets, wrenches, ratchets etc. But like anything, review before you purchase. The one thing you won't catch me buying are Mastercraft power tools.
I have a mastercraft socket set for over 15 years. Do my own auto repair. The only thing broken is the cheap case latch.
Jul 26, 2007
581 posts
52 upvotes
cyberspyder wrote: Funnily enough, "American Machine & Foundry Co., Inc. sold it to Black & Decker in 1960". It's not recent. And DeWalt is miles better than Mastercrap. The only problem is warranty, and CT has that beat. Still, the quality is there. It's also better than Stanley equivalents (aside from maybe Bostitch tools, which are only sold at Wal-Mart).
It's my understanding that DeWalt and Stanley are both owned by Black and Decker now which probably explains why the DeWalt name is being slapped onto hand tools.

Mastercraft Maximum is a decent line of hand tools - I own a couple of sets from that line myself and I've been satisfied with them in my own auto repair duties. I think for most people who do basic to moderate repair on their cars, Mastercraft is absolutely adequate.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)