Computers & Electronics

Cancel current ISP before installing new ISP?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2020 3:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1289 posts
531 upvotes

Cancel current ISP before installing new ISP?

I will be cancelling my Teksavvy 6 Mbps dsl to switch to Bell's 50 Mbps. Called yesterday evening to accept Bell's offer since I'll get the bundle savings with my current TV and phone services. The cost of the bundled services comes out to be the same as when I had them separately. Do I have to cancel the Teksavvy service before the Bell tech comes tomorrow to install an extra line for the higher speed (pair bonding)? The Bell rep said to do it and that it's better to have it clear before the install. I think it shouldn't matters if I cancelled it after the Bell one is installed and running properly. So am I suppose to call Teksavvy today or not to cancel their service?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11824 posts
3480 upvotes
Ontario
yes I would cancel it because if you cancel it after they may actually end up disconnecting your bell line by accident.

also what was the reason to switch to bell? Teksavvy should be able to provide you with 50mbit DSL connection also if Bell can.

RCML27 wrote: I will be cancelling my Teksavvy 6 Mbps dsl to switch to Bell's 50 Mbps. Called yesterday evening to accept Bell's offer since I'll get the bundle savings with my current TV and phone services. The cost of the bundled services comes out to be the same as when I had them separately. Do I have to cancel the Teksavvy service before the Bell tech comes tomorrow to install an extra line for the higher speed (pair bonding)? The Bell rep said to do it and that it's better to have it clear before the install. I think it shouldn't matters if I cancelled it after the Bell one is installed and running properly. So am I suppose to call Teksavvy today or not to cancel their service?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1289 posts
531 upvotes
sickcars wrote: yes I would cancel it because if you cancel it after they may actually end up disconnecting your bell line by accident.

also what was the reason to switch to bell? Teksavvy should be able to provide you with 50mbit DSL connection also if Bell can.
I called Teksavvy a couple of days ago and they said they can only offer up to 25 Mbps at my address. They said they do offer 50 Mbps to businesses.
Bell said they will add an extra line to support the 50 Mbps. I asked Teksavvy about that and he just repeated that they can only offer 25 Mbps.
Teksavvy's 6 Mbps is costing me $35.95 and it's scheduled to go up to $40.95 in October. Bell is offering the 50 Mbps for $49.99 with the ongoing credits. With the Bell internet bundled with my satellite TV and home phone, the phone price drops from $41.45 down to $19.95 with the ongoing credits. So overall, my bill for the 3 services stays about the same around $137-$144.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11824 posts
3480 upvotes
Ontario
Ahh ok I see, Realistically Teksavvy should be able to offer you 2 lines on 50mbit but getting bell to do it and so on im sure will be a pain alos the discounts you get they could not match it. At least not now, maybe in the future.
RCML27 wrote: I called Teksavvy a couple of days ago and they said they can only offer up to 25 Mbps at my address. They said they do offer 50 Mbps to businesses.
Bell said they will add an extra line to support the 50 Mbps. I asked Teksavvy about that and he just repeated that they can only offer 25 Mbps.
Teksavvy's 6 Mbps is costing me $35.95 and it's scheduled to go up to $40.95 in October. Bell is offering the 50 Mbps for $49.99 with the ongoing credits. With the Bell internet bundled with my satellite TV and home phone, the phone price drops from $41.45 down to $19.95 with the ongoing credits. So overall, my bill for the 3 services stays about the same around $137-$144.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1289 posts
531 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Ahh ok I see, Realistically Teksavvy should be able to offer you 2 lines on 50mbit but getting bell to do it and so on im sure will be a pain alos the discounts you get they could not match it. At least not now, maybe in the future.
Just got off the phone with Teksavvy and the rep said it's not necessary to cancel their service before the Bell install. He said I can wait until Bell's is running properly. I asked if I did it that way, could it end up that my Bell would get disconnected along with the Teksavvy service. He said no, it shouldn't happen because they're just cancelling their service. Guess I'll leave it then till the new one is working properly so that I'll have a backup just in case.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6679 posts
1327 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
RCML27 wrote: Just got off the phone with Teksavvy and the rep said it's not necessary to cancel their service before the Bell install. He said I can wait until Bell's is running properly. I asked if I did it that way, could it end up that my Bell would get disconnected along with the Teksavvy service. He said no, it shouldn't happen because they're just cancelling their service. Guess I'll leave it then till the new one is working properly so that I'll have a backup just in case.
I would be interested if you can post if that actually works, having both Teksavvy DSL6 and Bell FTTN 50/10 running at the same time since they would use the same copper pairs, DSL6 one pair and FTTN 50/10 two pairs (one that also provides DSL6) with different modems connected to the same pairs.
Jul 21, 2011
923 posts
898 upvotes
Knowhere
bell internet is stable and fast, deal wise, never really had deals, any deals you have, bell will screw up the offer and increase the price
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1289 posts
531 upvotes
lightmeup wrote: bell internet is stable and fast, deal wise, never really had deals, any deals you have, bell will screw up the offer and increase the price
The tech didn't even come yet and I already noticed an error. I was checking my email this evening and saw an email from Bell from the day before. It was from the day I called in to accept the quoted offer. I also asked this rep if there was anything else available to lower the cost. She checked and came back with $10 off per month for a year for the internet. I accepted it. Now I look at the email she sent for the order. Under internet, I can see she applied the $10 off credit for a year. Now the problem is, the $59.95 activation credit that the original rep gave me is gone and there's a charge for $59.95. It's bringing back bad memories for when I had the 3 services bundle from them ages ago with all the billing errors and the hassle to get it fixed. Since I dumped the internet with them to go with Teksavvy, I haven't really had any problems with the bills for the TV and phone. There were a few unwarranted charges on the phone, but it did not compare to the number of overcharges when I had all 3 services.

Now I have to call them in the morning to get it resolved. Hopefully in my favor and before the tech arrives.
Jul 21, 2011
923 posts
898 upvotes
Knowhere
RCML27 wrote: The tech didn't even come yet and I already noticed an error. I was checking my email this evening and saw an email from Bell from the day before. It was from the day I called in to accept the quoted offer. I also asked this rep if there was anything else available to lower the cost. She checked and came back with $10 off per month for a year for the internet. I accepted it. Now I look at the email she sent for the order. Under internet, I can see she applied the $10 off credit for a year. Now the problem is, the $59.95 activation credit that the original rep gave me is gone and there's a charge for $59.95. It's bringing back bad memories for when I had the 3 services bundle from them ages ago with all the billing errors and the hassle to get it fixed. Since I dumped the internet with them to go with Teksavvy, I haven't really had any problems with the bills for the TV and phone. There were a few unwarranted charges on the phone, but it did not compare to the number of overcharges when I had all 3 services.

Now I have to call them in the morning to get it resolved. Hopefully in my favor and before the tech arrives.

if you are ok with the the increased price, bell is good, never really had issue with the network. (internet went down once a year or so, it does comes back on its own)

but the money part can be really disgusting sometimes, everytime, I have to call for a few dollar off that should have been there in the first place, and the guy over the phone is like yeah yeah yeah it is fixed. next month, you see the extra charge... then call again, at one point, you will (at least i lose my mind and want to yell) be like, whatever.......

again, beside bell charing a few dollars more here and there, it is good!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1289 posts
531 upvotes
krs wrote: I would be interested if you can post if that actually works, having both Teksavvy DSL6 and Bell FTTN 50/10 running at the same time since they would use the same copper pairs, DSL6 one pair and FTTN 50/10 two pairs (one that also provides DSL6) with different modems connected to the same pairs.
Tried it with both on and the Teksavvy didn't connect. The modem just kept flashing red for dsl.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6142 posts
2668 upvotes
Debtario
Definitely cancel the first service before the install of the second.

Hopefully you can actually get that 50Mbps service. Bell and some TPIAs claim I can get that service, but each time a tech came out he'd do a double take and deliver the bad news that 7Mbps is the absolute max I'd see here. Also, welcome to classic Bell billing errors - watch your bills like a hawk, negotiated credits and promos tend to be "forgotten".
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6679 posts
1327 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
RCML27 wrote: Tried it with both on and the Teksavvy didn't connect. The modem just kept flashing red for dsl.
Thanks.
That is what I would have expected with this technology, one cannot have both FTTN and DSL over the same copper pair at the same time.
I'm surprised that Teksavvy provided incorrect information - not that it really mattered. FTTN should be rock solid.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6679 posts
1327 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
M1K3Z0R wrote: Definitely cancel the first service before the install of the second.
I personally wouldn't have cancelled the first service either - not that I expected both services to work at the same time, but every one in the family has become so dependent on the net that wewouldn't want to go without access for a day or two if the install of the new service gets delayed for any reason.
Hopefully you can actually get that 50Mbps service. Bell and some TPIAs claim I can get that service, but each time a tech came out he'd do a double take and deliver the bad news that 7Mbps is the absolute max I'd see here.
Are you sure you have FTTN (Fiber-to-the-node) and not DSL?
A maximum speed of 7 Mb/s sounds more like DSL
I sure wouldn't pay for 50 Mb/s FTTN if all I got was 7 Mb/s maximum.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1668 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I switched from Virgin DSL to Bell Fibe recently after trying to get into higher package. A service call was scheduled for 2 weeks into the future and the tech never showed up (I know it's all the same techs between both companies, however I don't feel the need to chase Virgin when I'm offering to pay them more money - they can followup with the technicians they choose to use). Bell was there 2 days later and I cancelled Virgin once everything was up and running. Working from home we didn't want to chance being without service.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2272 posts
120 upvotes
krs wrote: I would be interested if you can post if that actually works, having both Teksavvy DSL6 and Bell FTTN 50/10 running at the same time since they would use the same copper pairs, DSL6 one pair and FTTN 50/10 two pairs (one that also provides DSL6) with different modems connected to the same pairs.
So confusing.

I read a lot of complaints about DSL. I don't know if this would include FTTN but most of the complaints out there are DSL-based.

I guess Bell really doesn't give a **** about those customers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6679 posts
1327 upvotes
Peterborough, Ontari…
teleguitar wrote: So confusing.

I read a lot of complaints about DSL. I don't know if this would include FTTN but most of the complaints out there are DSL-based.

I guess Bell really doesn't give a **** about those customers.
I think the problem is that people don't understand the technology involved, not that they should need to, but they think they do but in fact they don't.
There are many sites on the ent that explain the technology.
Part of the confusion is that there are many flavours of DSL.
The original service, ADSL, provides downstream speeds up to 8 Mb/s,however the speed available depends on the length of the copper loop from the CO and the condition of the outside plant (Bell outside wiring).
The copper pairs were initially installed years ago for basic telephone service and have deteriorated over the year - with new technology Bell has little incentive to run new copper wiring and just does the minimum maintenance on those lines.
There are a few other versions of DSL - ADSL2, R-ADSL, ADSL-Lite, IDSL, HDSL, SDSL etc.
But the one we are interested in for the fastest service is VDSL and VDSL2 -those provide speeds of up to 50 Mb/s and 100 Mb/s respectively but over relatively short loops (distances).
So with FTTN, the Bell fiber connection goes to the node with a very high speed throughput and then the last few thousand feet from the node to the premises is via the existing copper pair using VDSL2 and speeds of 50 or 100 Mb/s.

So when people complain about DSL, they are probably complaining about ADSL service.
FTTN (with VDSL) should give you the speed you pay for.