Cell Phones

Canceling Rogers data plan help! is the 3 months period true?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2010 1:43 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2007
101 posts

Canceling Rogers data plan help! is the 3 months period true?

hey guys
i just have one question and hopefully you guys can help me out.
The Rogers sales rep got me my iphone 4 hup told me i must stay with them for 3 months before I can cancel my data plan for the maximum of $100. Is he correct about the 3 months because I really have no need for a data plan since where I work and home always have wifi.

Thanks in advance.
21 replies
Apr 23, 2010
2 posts
westside
No, i believe you can cancel anytime. Don't worry about the rep, just call a csr.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9067 posts
2367 upvotes
You can cancel at any time but you will get dinged with the $100 early termination fee for data.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
He just said it so that he doesn't lose his commision. He/She is a slimey ****.

You can cancel any time. I have canceled my data plan the very next day (it was upgrade on mom's line, and she doesn't need data...I just used her line to HUP cause I am a cell phone junkie lol)
[OP]
Apr 10, 2007
101 posts
o wow thanks guys
thats what i was thinking cuz it didnt make sense to me if theres a maximum of 100
thanks again!!
Feb 7, 2010
309 posts
25 upvotes
North York
oh wow, I had no idea you could do this. Wouldn't you need to sign a 3 yr term on the voice/data in order to get a smartphone hardware upgrade?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
dchen1989 wrote: oh wow, I had no idea you could do this. Wouldn't you need to sign a 3 yr term on the voice/data in order to get a smartphone hardware upgrade?

Yes you would. What rock have you been living under lol?

$400 max to cancel voice contract
$100 max to cancel data contract

No minimum required period to cancel, you can cancel the next day.
Feb 7, 2010
309 posts
25 upvotes
North York
Oh sorry, I meant about the $100 fee. I thought members mentioned that there wouldn't be a $100 data cancellation fee. My bad lol
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2010
2372 posts
395 upvotes
Thunder Bay
dchen1989 wrote: Oh sorry, I meant about the $100 fee. I thought members mentioned that there wouldn't be a $100 data cancellation fee. My bad lol

Yes, how else would they make money if they let just anybody HUP to a smartphone, then cancel the data (the reason they make money off subsidized smartphones) without penalty?
Feb 7, 2010
309 posts
25 upvotes
North York
amace wrote: Yes, how else would they make money if they let just anybody HUP to a smartphone, then cancel the data (the reason they make money off subsidized smartphones) without penalty?

Yeah, which is exactly why I was surprised. I misread !
[OP]
Apr 10, 2007
101 posts
ok so i called in today
the retention rep said i must cancel the plan after one month so the start date was sept30, she told me to call in oct 31 because if i cancel before that, I would have to pay full price for the phone but it says nothing on the contract???? this is correct right or did i just get scammed by rogers again so the rep "kept" a customer and once the cycle for next month starts I have to pay for another month worth of data.

Anyone have experience?

Thanks guys!
Sep 29, 2007
184 posts
7 upvotes
Brampton
gta123456 wrote: ok so i called in today
the retention rep said i must cancel the plan after one month so the start date was sept30, she told me to call in oct 31 because if i cancel before that, I would have to pay full price for the phone but it says nothing on the contract???? this is correct right or did i just get scammed by rogers again so the rep "kept" a customer and once the cycle for next month starts I have to pay for another month worth of data.

Anyone have experience?

Thanks guys!

I know that the rule is you have 30 days to cancel a contract (and there are rules for phone usage in terms of having less than 30 min or so voice usage). However, that being said, there this probably relates to those who want to return the phone and get out of their contracts. What he's saying regarding the '3 month' rule is non-existent because by that time you're set in your contract and you would have to pay penalty fees to get out.

For your situation, what I know is that you can downgrade data plans to something less expensive data plans (retention has 150 MB ones I think for $10 -- see link below). Other than that, you would probably be stuck with the phone since the main providers traditionally subsidize the smartphones phone provided you get data plans. For regular/dumbphones, a voice plan is enough for them to give you a cheap/free phone.

How long have you been with Rogers? If it's been a while, you can get a data credit put on your plan for the entire contract (this would have been better negotiated before your contract extension). You can get $5 (or even $10) but it takes a few calls to the reps. Just go to the first page of this thread and you'll find great ways to get the deal you want with Rogers: rogers-wireless-retention-plans-933329/

But in the end, think of it this way: if you got the 16 GB iPhone at $159, you've got the remaining $500 to 'pay' for indrectly. Lets say you get a HUP every 2 years, you're essentially paying $20 a month for the iphone (500/24 months). The data plan is $10 on top of that. Without the data plan, the iphone is kind of a glorified ipod touch. You might as well get that and use it with your existing cell phone and avoid the headache that comes with data plan contracts if you don't need 3G as a result of wifi abundance. You can even make wifi calls and there is also a Skype app that works over wifi I think.
May 27, 2007
16027 posts
4431 upvotes
Toronto
gta123456 wrote: ok so i called in today

Anyone have experience?

Thanks guys!

false.
i helped a friend cancel right after she received her phone. all she got charged was $100 HUP + the pro-rated data charges for a few days.

you do not have to stay for a full cycle.
but you do have to stay until your phone has been processed & shipped out from the warehouse. (if you did a HUP through retentions. even then, you can argue you didnt use data and get the pro-rated charges credited)
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
photojunkie wrote: Hey! I didnt want to make another thread about data cancellation so I just wanted to clarify something,

I just received my iphone and do not want the data plan : The rep I talked to told me that if i want to cancel my data plan I'd have to pay for the cancellation fees AND send my iphone back... is that true? Or is he lying... Should I be calling back to see if another rep says something else?

Call and say your roommate drove over the iphone and now its broken and you dont need data plan anymore
Dec 31, 1969
Total newb to the iphone/smartphone contracts. So you can sign up for a new iphone activation, pay 160$ or w/e it is, with 3 year contract with voice/data and cancel the data for 100$? Can someone explain that to me without laughing at me lol.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
kohu wrote: Total newb to the iphone/smartphone contracts. So you can sign up for a new iphone activation, pay 160$ or w/e it is, with 3 year contract with voice/data and cancel the data for 100$? Can someone explain that to me without laughing at me lol.

$100 is just data
voice is $400
so $500, plus 13% which is $565. It would cost you $565 + $179.68 it costs to get iPhone4 16GB = $744 total cost to get iphone4 16GB and break your contract the next day. plus you have to pay for 30 days for voice (voice is not like data...you have to give 30 days notice)
Dec 31, 1969
Thanks for the quick reply. No, I want to keep the voice plan. So it would cost me the phone + 100? Is this like this across all providers? Bell, Telus, Fido?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
kohu wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. No, I want to keep the voice plan. So it would cost me the phone + 100? Is this like this across all providers? Bell, Telus, Fido?
Yes, all providers share same guidelines.

But do keep in mind, you will be on term for voice for 3 years like mentioend previously.

Out of curosity, why'd you want iPhone4 without data? It's very very easy to accidentaly rack up data unles you block data altogether which can be tricky.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9067 posts
2367 upvotes
Lulz wrote: Out of curosity, why'd you want iPhone4 without data? It's very very easy to accidentaly rack up data unles you block data altogether which can be tricky.
Huh? You can just turn off cellular data in iOS, plus if you don't have a data plan the carriers put in a data block on your line automatically anyway.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Apr 10, 2007
101 posts
so i just tell the person my phone got ran over and i dont need data? lol
would this work?
anyone else got experience on canceling data early?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)