[Merged] Canceling Summit Energy

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2020 7:39 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
1291 posts
10 upvotes

[Merged] Canceling Summit Energy

I must admit, I got fooled by the guy yesterday. He dropped by our new house when we were working on it, and the way he was talking and the stuff he was showing, made me believe that I was signing a contract for Enbridge as part of setting up our utilities, so I thought it was standard proceedure.

I went online to check yesterday and ended up finding post after post about how much of a scam they are, and IMO he misrepresented himself, so now I am going to cancel asap.

I heard you have 10 days to cancel? How did that go for some? I am going to cancel tomorro and make sure I document everything, but is there anything I should say to them in case they give me a hard time?

Worst comes to worse I can send them a lawyers letter and threaten.
112 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
You do have 10 days to cancel. The company also has to call you and get you to confirm the contract verbally over the phone. Most of the time this verbal authorization is done 14 days after you signed. If you refuse to give the verbal authorization, they should cancel you immediately.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother getting a lawyer involved just yet. Call up the company and explain that you were duped and want to cancel since it is still within the 10 days. They will tell you what to do...

Make sure that you get names and employee numbers of the people you talk to and record the calls if possible.

If the company doesn't explain how to cancel the contract, send them a registered letter with a signature required. The letter should explain that you want to cancel and should also say why you want to cancel (you feel you were misled by the sales agent). Send a copy of the letter to the Energy Ombudsman (or something like that - google it) and make sure that Summit Energy knows that you're sending a copy to the Ombudsman.

I know that this method has worked for some people...so it should work for you too...

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
1291 posts
10 upvotes
thanks for the tip. I ended up sending a registered letter for cancellation and requested a signback within 3 business days, as well I sent a fax with carbon copy of proof that it was sent so I have 2 bases covered. Both of these methods were outlined in the 10 day cancellation proceedure in the little pamphlet.
Jan 12, 2007
198 posts
6 upvotes
Yeah those A$$holes! they came to my house when we first moved in and tried to sale me the same BS and even worst they mentioned if I didnt sign then my gas supply will be disconnected....

I let me dog after the guy (young kid) it was funny watching how fast he ran :twisted:
Oct 27, 2008
657 posts
6 upvotes
RFD admin or staff, Can we pleeeeease put a sticky note on RFD so all members do not sign contract with energy reseller. Tooooo many people got sucked into it.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
2108 posts
431 upvotes
I became a victim too! Call them again to make sure the cancellation has been processed.
Jan 5, 2009
1 posts
I signed for them too and I said yes on the phone but I called to cancel one day after. And their guy said I do not have to worry about it because they can't get my gas account number from Enbridge. But after 4 months of this incident, I found their name on my Enbridge bill. I called several times and then they come back saying I have to pay 1000$ as cancellation fees. What should I do ?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3834 posts
1654 upvotes
Toronto
kamel wrote: I signed for them too and I said yes on the phone but I called to cancel one day after. And their guy said I do not have to worry about it because they can't get my gas account number from Enbridge. But after 4 months of this incident, I found their name on my Enbridge bill. I called several times and then they come back saying I have to pay 1000$ as cancellation fees. What should I do ?
I'm sorry to say this kamel, but you're screwed.

In order for the contract to be valid, they have to have your signature on the form and a voice recording of you on the phone affirming the contract. Since you did both things, you are locked in. They probably got your account number from your bill when they met with you at the door. The whole story of not having your account number was probably a lie to prevent you from doing anything further. You should have sent them a registered letter.

There is very little that you can do now...but go ahead and check with the Ontario Energy Board to see if you have any other options. Here's a link:
http://www.oeb.gov.on.ca/OEB/For+Consum ... tion+Rules
Aug 2, 2008
179 posts
1 upvote
claringtonca
What you also can do is have your account FLAGGED by enbridge that you only use enbridge i haven't had a problem since i did this enbridge will call you to confirm if you want another gas supplier.
because all they need is your enbridge acct # the other supplier
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
1291 posts
10 upvotes
Well I sent them a registered letter as well as a fax and kept copies of both. I also requested a letter reply within 3 days and they sent one back acknowledging my cancellation so it worked out ok.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13051 posts
3737 upvotes
same thing happened to me with Direct Energy

1) I called to cancel by phone and got the cancel reference numbers
2) I mailed them a letter requesting my cancellation and tracked the letter for signing to ensure they received it
3) I hand delivered the same letter to their office and they wrote me a signed letter confirming they got my cancellation
4) Email them a cancellation request and track it to see if it was opened and read
5) Never answer the phone for the next 30 days unless you recognize the number
Jun 1, 2009
1 posts
I was scammed.
First i was told that i was locking in at the same rate as my current utilities supplier for three years and they asked if i was interested in using them for my gas supply.
i agreed to electrical, but not to gas.
What an idiot i am.
I started to notice that my bills were higher than normal.
my elec. bill does not show a rate or consumption used any more,so i called.
The guy on the other end said i was locked in at a rate almost double my previous supplier for five years
If i want to cancel it will cost almost $500 and he asked if i wanted to cancel my gas too. What? I remember vividly, saying to the guy on my door step no gas till i see how the elec. bill worked.
They called me several times to get me to agree to the gas and i finally told them to stop calling.
I dont have a copy of mt contract, but the guy on the phone today said he would send me a copy that shows signatures on both elec. and gas.
How can something like this happen.
How do i resolve
Am i being screwed by a terror corporation?
Jul 6, 2009
1 posts
Here's the situation: My father-in-law, who was elderly, signed a gas commodity contract with Summit Energy in Nov. of 2008, for 5 years, at 42.8 cents a cubic metre. He was terminally ill at the time, but nonetheless signed a deal. We were always wondering why my mother-in-law's gas bills were so high, and found out today that she had been locked in at the above-mentioned rate !

We can't find the original contract, she says she never co-signed, and we are trying to get a hard-copy of said contract from Summit Energy. But, as the bills keep coming in in my late father-in-law's name, can my mother-in-law have them declared null and void, thereby avoiding having to pay any exit charges?

Thank you for any help rendered.....Tony
Jul 6, 2009
3 posts
The Ontario Energy Board regulates energy retailers. Legally, an agreement signed at the door will NOT become active unless you confirm your decision later by phone. If you don't do it within 61 days, the agreement expires. So if you decide you don't want it, you don't even have to worry about it.

The only thing you've done by signing an energy agreement at the door is given yourself an alternative to the government's rates. So why not actually compare the two and make an educated decision?

Choice, democracy and free will is what makes Canada a great place, you don't want to be a slave to the government do you?
Jul 9, 2009
1 posts
I signed up but just didnt check their price compared to the current price. The principals are ok, its just their price is 35% higher than the current rate and therefore not worth it.

I read this thread and got concerned that I wouldnt be able to cancel, but I called, got a confirmation # then faxed them and they got back to me the next day confirming the cancellation in writing. Mind you, they made me wait for 10 mins on the phone (I guess hoping I would hang up).

Basically if your within your 10 days, call and fax them to cancel with a valid reason and they should be ok with it....... and dont sign anything on your doorstep again.
Aug 30, 2009
1 posts
Please let me know if you are under 5 years contract with a property and name, if you sell the property within 5 years of your contract, does your contract expires automatically?
Oct 15, 2009
2 posts
So, in my case, Summit says I am in a contract, but they DO NOT have my account number with the hydro company. Does this mean they cannot charge me? can I just keep they away from my account number or will that catch up with me eventually?
Dec 6, 2009
2 posts
I see these situations you are talking about Summit Energy but I do not believe you are the first person to mistake Summit Energy with, Direct Energy -Lost there license for lie's about there contracts who they are and where they come from-
and Universal energy -who went bankrupt-

Energy summit to clear up your thoughts right now.
When a sale agent approach the door he says this exact.

Hey there how are you I am with summit energy _Holds the badge so that the person at the door can see it is summit energy- We are just going around to make sure the rates on your gas and hydro are frozen.

If the customer says are you from Enbridge we say no we are from summit energy we supply gas and hydro to Enbridge when rates are frozen.

If the customer says will I save money we are not allowed to say YES we can only say the rates on the market go up and down and that you might save money.

If the customer says what if the market rate goes down we say we are certified by the OEB (Ontario Energy Board) to give whats called a blend and extend choice where if rates go down in the market and stay down we lower you price to match the market with a 15% mark up so 5 cents per kwh market rate would be 5.7 cents per kwh as an example.

At any point where you guys are saying these individuals are saying there form Enbridge, lower your rates, work for Enbridge, save you money take down there badge number which normal starts with BL1 and call up the OEB(Ontario Energy board) and report this so that the government will remove that individuals license.
I am not owned or licensed by Summit energy I am licensed by the OEB(Ontario Energy Board) meaning I am a licensed by the government not a company. I myself had to take a boring class and exam on this stuff.

Acts performed on a Individual weather it be on your property or not in Canada if you
Verbal Abuse, sick dog, hit, threaten, or show any signs of intent to cause harm it becomes a legal matter and would be delt with the police. I was in this neighbor hood in Scarborough and knocked on one guys door and the guy said Direct Energy I got a gift for you ******* let his dog lose Roity and it attacked me on the spot the next day I was visited by an officer in the hospital and explained to me that he had no right to do that and that the dog is now put down and the dogs owner was in jail for attempt of murder since the dog almost killed me.

Speaking as a victim I was just doing my job and was brutishly assaulted and I was not even representing Direct energy so I also ask you if you do not care for it just say I am not interested and close the door because we are not suppose to stop talking until you close that door. so the faster the door close the more time you save yourself and myself and others doing that.

I just want to clarify that Summit Energy (2 years now) is not crooked and had the customers put first we offer many option and no fees so you can't be robbed. There is no fee for subscribing, transferring, only fee would be cancel but in the office I am with we have never charged anyone yet for canceling. you have the 10 day cooling off period if you change your mind and 10 days is enough to do some research most people mistake Direct energy fr summit energy and harbor bad feelings cause direct energy screwed them a lot of people signing before the recession and direct energy does not offer a blend and extend feature sot hat if rates go down they will on your contract go down as well.

All In all I have seen some people do rude things to the people and I am hear to inform you those are Criminal acts and I have encountered many of them all I do is say have a nice day and leave or if it is serious enough I inform the police. The one guy thought it was funny watching the young kid run from his dog what if your dog had caught him and bit him you would have bin in a lot of trouble it is not funny doing your normal stuff and then having a dog attack you speaking form my end I was fatally injured your laughing at it and so are others but you know what those people at your door are just like you we have family's we have mouth's to feed I have a kid and a wife think about it I could not work for a whole year I put a lot of stress on my wife my kid rarely saw me how would you feel if that happened to you just say not interested and close the door.

Have a nice day.
Dec 6, 2009
2 posts
sshepherd wrote: So, in my case, Summit says I am in a contract, but they DO NOT have my account number with the hydro company. Does this mean they cannot charge me? can I just keep they away from my account number or will that catch up with me eventually?
If they do not have your account number then no contract was formed. When you show your bill to someone your account number is at the top You where probably signed up on Gas but not hydro but if they do not have your account number then there is no contract.
Oct 23, 2009
4 posts
I recently moved in a new home. 2 weeks after, a guy came to my door, saying he is from Veridian (local energy company) and that he changed the meter and I have to sign an acknowledgement form to confirm he was to my house. because I called the real Veridian 1 week before, I really thought they sent somebody to read the meter.
This guy was from SUMMIT ENERGY. I found out later, when I tried to call them to ask about the high rates, thinking that I am calling Veridian. (never had an energy contract before with any company)
Bottom line I signed, but I did not provide any account # because I did not have any bills at that time. So, the contract has only my name, phone # and my signature on it, no accounts #.
I called them to cancel everything, they want me to pay $1500 cancellation fees. they claim I confirmed the contract by phone but that day, at 11am I was at work, not at home- so probably another lie to tie me down. I found out from the local energy suppliers (real ones) that they don't have any record of me being represented by SUMMIT energy.

Now my question is: Can Summit Energy do anything if they don't have the accounts #?? Can they bill me without these #?
(I already informed both gas and hydro local suppliers not to give my account # to any third party)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)