• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2020 11:31 pm
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
992 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto

Cancellation of aeroplan rewards flights

So, I booked a ticket via Aeroplan with my miles and Air Canada has cancelled one of my flights and rebooked me on another day that I would not have booked if I had a choice.
I can’t get through to Aeroplan as their voicemail tells me to call back as they are overwhelmed.

Question: Do I have the option to cancel my entire journey now, now that they have changed part of my itinerary? There’s a “cancel “ button when I log into my aeroplan account and select my upcoming trip but I don’t wanna cancel this trip if I’m being charged a cancellation fee.

Has anybody had experience with cancelling a rewards flight after the airline changed your itinerary? Thanks.
4 replies
Mar 3, 2009
775 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Generally if there is a significant flight change then you can cancel without penalty - but it is never going to work with that button on the website - you will need to call.

You can also be asked to be placed on a different flight.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18262 posts
2714 upvotes
Langley
Yes,

They will cancel free if you call in.

It is hard to get through. But I tried calling on Sunday at 730am Pacific time and I got through 2:20 later. I had tried a few times in the evening and they weren't accepting calls.

It would help if you look at the flight schedule to see what other options work best for you. Make it easy for the agent to say yes to you. To accommodate you, they can open reward space on AC, but they cannot do that for other carriers. They have the option of purchasing space on other carriers, and they will do this in some situations, but for a normal type of cancellation where they'll just send you on the next flight.

But if you ask, they'll put you on an earlier flight if the later one doesn't work, or perhaps a different routing.

Unfortunately, it's been pretty hard to get though to them. First, they change their login method prompting a flurry of calls, then there was the 737MAX cancellations and schedule changes, an there was the reservation system change at AC that made things a lot harder for them, and now there's the coronavirus which has cancelled flights to China.

AC also cancelled their YYZ to HKG routes in March because demand to everywhere in Asia has fallen off a cliff.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
992 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
dr_torch wrote: Generally if there is a significant flight change then you can cancel without penalty - but it is never going to work with that button on the website - you will need to call.

You can also be asked to be placed on a different flight.
i6s1 wrote: Yes,

They will cancel free if you call in.

It is hard to get through. But I tried calling on Sunday at 730am Pacific time and I got through 2:20 later. I had tried a few times in the evening and they weren't accepting calls.

It would help if you look at the flight schedule to see what other options work best for you. Make it easy for the agent to say yes to you. To accommodate you, they can open reward space on AC, but they cannot do that for other carriers. They have the option of purchasing space on other carriers, and they will do this in some situations, but for a normal type of cancellation where they'll just send you on the next flight.

But if you ask, they'll put you on an earlier flight if the later one doesn't work, or perhaps a different routing.

Unfortunately, it's been pretty hard to get though to them. First, they change their login method prompting a flurry of calls, then there was the 737MAX cancellations and schedule changes, an there was the reservation system change at AC that made things a lot harder for them, and now there's the coronavirus which has cancelled flights to China.

AC also cancelled their YYZ to HKG routes in March because demand to everywhere in Asia has fallen off a cliff.
Thank you everyone for your detailed responses. Relieved to hear that there’s a good possibility that I cancel my trip without any fees.
So, now my challenge is to get through to them. Maybe I need to call in the middle of the night to have a chance to get through.
Not sure if Aeroplan call centers open 24/7 though but I’ll try.
Thanks! :)
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1533 posts
627 upvotes
I don't know about Aeroplan, but last year Air Canada changed my Mexico flights from being very reasonable times, to basically checking out of the resort and not being able to fly out until 11 PM. I did not agree to this and was given a full refund and rebooked with WestJet instead.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)