Shopping Discussion

Cancelled Bell: How to receive money back from Bell

[OP]
Nov 26, 2004
433 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto

Cancelled Bell: How to receive money back from Bell

I cancelled my Bell service on the mid of billing cycle, and the last bill showing I got certain amount of credit (showing negative balance). I thought it will refund back to my pre-authorized credit card, which I used for the monthly payment. However, it was not.

Does anyone has similar situation with Bell? Please share
29 replies
Sep 27, 2003
10242 posts
2766 upvotes
Newmarket
Have you contacted Bell to ask them how & when they will issue you your credit back?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3556 posts
674 upvotes
I ported from Rogers to Public Mobile and I had the same impression as you. Rogers sent me a cheque later. It may have taken a month or two.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3835 upvotes
Considering it's B(h)ell, I'd call to triple check they will refund you the money
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5811 posts
1220 upvotes
Montreal
In my case, they wouldn't send me my credit of $9.76 because it was less than $10. This was about 14 years ago. Then about 8 years later, I cancelled my Bell phone which had a credit balance of about $15. I called and had them add my $9.76 to their refund and they actually did it.

I still spell Bell the same way as Messerschmitt.
Last edited by Phils on Jan 11th, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phils
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13483 posts
7611 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: Have you contacted Bell to ask them how & when they will issue you your credit back?
too easy and logical...this is RFD after all
Sep 30, 2015
307 posts
389 upvotes
East York, ON
They sent me a cheque after I called.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8848 posts
1904 upvotes
London
I cancelled Bell land line last year, Bell was post paid for my case so the credit I got actually went to next month bill.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21441 posts
15562 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
fylee wrote: Does anyone has similar situation with Bell? Please share
When I became a Bhell-free home a few years ago it took months to get a refund cheque. I complained to Bhell's Office of the VP about how long it was taking. Their response was that I should expect to wait at least 90 days because that's how long it took their administrative processes to approve cutting of a cheque. I don't recall how long it actually took but eventually I did receive a refund cheque.

It's probably not much consolation but in most cases it probably costs Bhell more to process a refund than the amount of the refund itself. Just one more reason to ditch Bhell once and for all.

Incidentally I used to own shares of BCE through their DRIP program. When I sold those shares they somehow left 0.004 shares in my account. That's enough to generate a quarterly dividend of 1¢. So every quarter the Bhell Bozos™ mail me a statement that shows a credit for the dividend. Of course it costs them about $1 to mail that statement, never mind the cost of keeping my DRIP account alive.
Last edited by bylo on Jan 11th, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1888 posts
442 upvotes
I had a $3 credit when I cancelled everything Bell last year and I simply left it there. I washed my hands of Bell and to me, it's not worth having to deal with them again to get this $3 back. They can consider it my parting gift :)

...and OP, you are a very brave person for pre-authorizing credit card payments to Bell. My monthly bills were always wrong (always in their favor, or course) and I had to call them to get it fixed...each and every month!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
197 upvotes
Markham, ON
Telecommunication companies are sneaky. They made their statement impossible for people to understand and when people renew their contract everyone has to do it over the phone. Everything is so under the table.

Just make sure your tie with bell is completely clean but don't think billing, negotiation or anything will be any smoother with any other company.

They are communication companies for crying out loud yet you cannot communicate with them whatsoever.
Sep 1, 2015
150 posts
67 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I cancelled Bell internet last year and below are what happened:
Month 0: Called to cancel, Bell said refund will be delivered via same payment used to pay bill.(Credit card)
Month 1: Called Bell because nothing happened. Bell said it need to wait till next full billing cycled and new bill would be generated with refund credit.
Month 2: A new Bell bill came in saying refund will be mailed out via cheque.
Month 3: Called Bell because no nothing happened. Got refund on end of Month 3.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
197 upvotes
Markham, ON
hvwozq wrote: I don't think you know what you are talking about.
Well first you wait forever on the phone to speak to the first customer rep, then they cannot do anything, then you wait some more to be passed on to the next person and repeat the same information. And then maybe you think it's resolved and it's not. And you call again in the future.

You goto their store and the staff there are usually all sales and cannot so much. So yeah.
Jul 20, 2012
684 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
I got a $35 dollar credit on my final bill yesterday. It says in small print that I have to call to arrange a cheque. They don't make it easy. I agree about the Bell stores. The staff can't do any thing but upsell or sell new plans. At least at Roger's stores the staff can handle billing issues.
Feb 21, 2018
107 posts
132 upvotes
This is what it says on my bill:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: For final balances >=$10 and <$500, a refund cheque is sent automatically. Please call 310-Bell to request a cheque for credit balances not automatically refunded.
Proud Sodomite 😋
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1720 posts
211 upvotes
Mississauga
Bhell Hell owed me $68.00 Sent me just over half as full payment. You know that it takes forever on the phone to get anybody that makes sense. Never got it. Jokers, liars and thieves.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5704 posts
5118 upvotes
redpattison wrote: Bhell Hell owed me $68.00 Sent me just over half as full payment. You know that it takes forever on the phone to get anybody that makes sense. Never got it. Jokers, liars and thieves.
Probably went towards your final bill... They keep charging for the rest of the month unless you give 30 days notice, or if it's a cellphone.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1720 posts
211 upvotes
Mississauga
superfresh89 wrote: Probably went towards your final bill... They keep charging for the rest of the month unless you give 30 days notice, or if it's a cellphone.
Thanks for that. Good points.
However, it was 6 months later that Bhell Hell acknowledged that they owe me money. After many, many months and hours of phone calls. they play the card be being as useless, hoping that I will go away. It was with my home landline and they where given the appropriate notice. I am sure they do that with many, many customers. According to Market place they drive their Customers crazy that they do give up.
As I have said many times, I would sooner poke my eyes out with a hot poker then ever use Bhell Hell.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21441 posts
15562 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
redpattison wrote: Bhell Hell
"Bhell" is sufficient. The "B" is silent just like the "h" in "dishonest" ;)
veni, vidi, Visa