Shopping Discussion

Cancelling MBNA Best Western Rewards Mastercard. Would I lose any unused BW reward points on my linked BW rewards card?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 5:08 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2015
466 posts
153 upvotes
Calgary, AB

Cancelling MBNA Best Western Rewards Mastercard. Would I lose any unused BW reward points on my linked BW rewards card?

My wife phoned to cancel her mbna best western rewards MC and the agent on the phone insisted she needs to redeem any remaining best western points on her linked best western rewards card or she would lose them once she cancelled her BW Mastercard.

I'm pretty sure the info the mbna rep gave is not true but thought it's best to clarify before cancelling since we have a decent amount of best western reward points on the linked rewards card
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3782 posts
1999 upvotes
Gotham
This should be in the credit card forum.

The credit card and the Best Western rewards card are two separate accounts. She will not lose her points after canceling.

I canceled mine least year and I still have my points.
Jan 26, 2014
229 posts
243 upvotes
Not true. We have canceled this card a few times. Once the points show on the best western portal, you are good to cancel.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12594 posts
9821 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
batcave wrote: This should be in the credit card forum.

The credit card and the Best Western rewards card are two separate accounts. She will not lose her points after canceling.

I canceled mine least year and I still have my points.
rtsam77 wrote: Not true. We have canceled this card a few times. Once the points show on the best western portal, you are good to cancel.
Agree with both these RFDers

Don’t have a BW MNBA CC

But quite aware of how the program works

Once the Points are in your BW Account you should be safe & sound

Possible that the CC Rep was referring to Status Qualification that comes with a CC ?
Whereby one earns additional points on top of regular Reward Points just cuz of Status / having this CC

And either the CC Rep didn’t explain it well, or your wife misunderstood.

From the MBNA BW CC website ...
◊◊ Eligibility for this offer will be determined based on the total amount of new eligible purchase transactions charged, and not subsequently rescinded or the subject of a charge back request, to a cardholder's Best Western Rewards ® Platinum Plus credit card account during a calendar year and recorded on the cardholder's statement closing dates for January through December in respect of such year ("eligible transaction"). Gold Elite Status will be awarded after the account has been used for at least one eligible transaction. Gold Elite Status upgrades will be effective 4 to 6 weeks after the first eligible transaction. A cardholder will be awarded Diamond Elite Status for the following calendar year if the cardholder has eligible transactions totaling at least ten thousand dollars in Canadian funds (CDN $10,000) in the current calendar year. To retain this status, cardholder must continue to have eligible transactions totaling at least ten thousand dollars in Canadian funds (CDN $10,000) during the prior calendar year. Diamond Elite Status upgrades will be effective within 4 to 6 weeks of eligibility. Cardholders cannot combine multiple accounts in order to reach the threshold amount. This promotion is offered exclusively by and at the sole discretion of Best Western and may be amended or cancelled at any time without notice. The Toronto-Dominion Bank is not responsible or liable for the Best Western Rewards program. For a complete explanation of the benefits associated with each Best Western Rewards Elite Status tier, please visit www.bestwesternrewards.com .
https://www.mbna.ca/en/credit-cards/tra ... astercard/
(Look for the LEGAL link just above WAYS TO APPLY)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3032 posts
1628 upvotes
Edmonton
RigorMortis wrote: My wife phoned to cancel her mbna best western rewards MC and the agent on the phone insisted she needs to redeem any remaining best western points on her linked best western rewards card or she would lose them once she cancelled her BW Mastercard.

I'm pretty sure the info the mbna rep gave is not true but thought it's best to clarify before cancelling since we have a decent amount of best western reward points on the linked rewards card
Why is she cancelling?