Investing

Cannabis (Marijuana) Stocks

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 10:47 pm
Sep 6, 2014
154 posts
139 upvotes
Thank you! Yes, I am already maxed out for 2017 and years before. Cheers!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lawonga wrote: Just went all cash today. The runup is insane and almost irrational. Anyone else the same?
I never understand this logic. Why go cash? Set a stop/limit about 1-2% below the current value and let it rise. You have locked the gains, but you can still benefit from a further rise in value. You can keep increasing that floor as the value rises (if it does). Unless of course you need the money.
Apr 26, 2010
923 posts
187 upvotes
Richmond Hill
White Comet wrote: I'm thinking of switching as well...is Scotia iTrade or CIBC Investor's Edge better?
Full disclosure, I work for Scotia and they required me to move all investments in house.
If you are planning to transfer over, please note that it generally cost $150+tax per account and Scotia was only willing to cover 1 of my accounts. Secondly the two times i had to call Scotia ITrade customer service took me over 1-1.5 hrs each. Just a little FYI.
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey guys,

Interested in looking into some marijuana stocks, any thoughts on ones to begin with/good places to get info? Also, is anyone here trading through Questrade, or are other brokers preferable?

Cheers
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
canoek wrote: I never understand this logic. Why go cash? Set a stop/limit about 1-2% below the current value and let it rise. You have locked the gains, but you can still benefit from a further rise in value. You can keep increasing that floor as the value rises (if it does). Unless of course you need the money.
Stop limits at 1-2% don't work in this sector, especially on days like Friday where things gain/dump 20-30% all day long
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
hebsie wrote: Stop limits at 1-2% don't work in this sector, especially on days like Friday where things gain/dump 20-30% all day long
Very true. I got burned few weeks ago because of it for ACB.
Dec 31, 2015
858 posts
234 upvotes
Hmm looking at buying companies with exposure in cali. TGIF has had an insane run lately. What other companies are out there other than LDS with operations in cali?
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2010
1048 posts
853 upvotes
Milton
MikeZ13 wrote: Hey guys,

Interested in looking into some marijuana stocks, any thoughts on ones to begin with/good places to get info? Also, is anyone here trading through Questrade, or are other brokers preferable?

Cheers
I use Questrade, $4.95-$9.95 per trade, but they charge ECN fees. Ways to get around those though (100-multiple lot, limit orders below bid or above ask). I heard the big banks like CIBC don't charge ECN fees. May consider switching at some point, although I've been pretty happy with Questrade (apart from the occasional ECN fees I get dinged with when I have to buy at market price)
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
PapaQBear wrote: I use Questrade, $4.95-$9.95 per trade, but they charge ECN fees. Ways to get around those though (100-multiple lot, limit orders below bid or above ask). I heard the big banks like CIBC don't charge ECN fees. May consider switching at some point, although I've been pretty happy with Questrade (apart from the occasional ECN fees I get dinged with when I have to buy at market price)
Great, thanks for sharing. Do people have any thoughts on the top 3-5 stocks to look at/get in on at this point? Or suggested areas for reading?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2003
1668 posts
194 upvotes
Hamilton
MikeZ13 wrote: Great, thanks for sharing. Do people have any thoughts on the top 3-5 stocks to look at/get in on at this point? Or suggested areas for reading?
My picks would be: fire, Namaste, and hvst. Based on hope more than anything, lol
50% back at Home Depot & Ebay and 100% at AliExpress - NO WAY!
social-good-rebate-up-100-aliexpress-dh ... #p35066583
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
slotscanada wrote: My picks would be: fire, Namaste, and hvst. Based on hope more than anything, lol
These are all Canadian listed?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
MikeZ13 wrote: Great, thanks for sharing. Do people have any thoughts on the top 3-5 stocks to look at/get in on at this point? Or suggested areas for reading?
Depends on your risk level. Low risk would be big three. Everything else is pretty much high risk.

Namaste just had a big correction, so it could possibly be a good entry point now.

I am hoping ACB deal with cmed not go through so cmed can acquire HIP (which I am currently holding)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2003
1668 posts
194 upvotes
Hamilton
HVST holds United Greeneries and Satipharm. Their stock has a 4.8 price/book ratio meaning the market price is not overly inflated and investors will get a healthy amount of equity with each share they own. They have 0 debt and very few liabilities. HVST is also expanding as they recently secured a land deal for just under $1M to grow cannabis outdoors in British Columbia. United Greeneries is also set to expand by 35,000kg per year by 2018.

Looking to add more HVST on dips!
50% back at Home Depot & Ebay and 100% at AliExpress - NO WAY!
social-good-rebate-up-100-aliexpress-dh ... #p35066583
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
RedLego wrote: Full disclosure, I work for Scotia and they required me to move all investments in house.
If you are planning to transfer over, please note that it generally cost $150+tax per account and Scotia was only willing to cover 1 of my accounts. Secondly the two times i had to call Scotia ITrade customer service took me over 1-1.5 hrs each. Just a little FYI.
When I transferred acounts over to iTrade, they covered the transfer fees of every account.

As for telephone services, in my experience the iTrade CSRs are much more experienced and know what are being discussed, while TD DI CSRs are often clueless and with problems point fingers at each other. I don't know about recent call wait times during the holidays, but iTrade was never too long.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2010
1013 posts
345 upvotes
Charlottetown
These are my recommendations to you after being in this sector for over a year and doing pretty well. Do your own DD of course, I'm just giving you some to start with:

MARI
HVST
VFF
EMH
ABCN
THCX
Jun 9, 2015
105 posts
32 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
azncapcom wrote: Depends on your risk level. Low risk would be big three. Everything else is pretty much high risk.

Namaste just had a big correction, so it could possibly be a good entry point now.

I am hoping ACB deal with cmed not go through so cmed can acquire HIP (which I am currently holding)
Interesting scenario...if ACB / CMED goes through, HIP shares will probably drop.
if ACB / CMED does not go through, CMED shares will drop and therefore HIP is not worth as much........(33 shares CMED for every 1,000 shares of HIP)
Dec 22, 2008
370 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
userID wrote: Interesting scenario...if ACB / CMED goes through, HIP shares will probably drop.
I got out of hip at $0.54 back earlier in the month - I didn't feel comfortable dealing with all the uncertainty
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2015
1201 posts
516 upvotes
So I can safely buy all of the Canadian weed stocks using USD on OTC in my TFSA without being penalized?

I think it was already answered but I just want to confirm before doing it next week!!
Jul 27, 2012
27 posts
9 upvotes
YVR
herculesmaxpower wrote: Hmm looking at buying companies with exposure in cali. TGIF has had an insane run lately. What other companies are out there other than LDS with operations in cali?
LDS seems to be the best play for California from what I could find. With legalization today and a larger population than all of Canada combined, it looks like it's probably worth a gamble.
May 3, 2015
401 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jfall wrote: These are my recommendations to you after being in this sector for over a year and doing pretty well. Do your own DD of course, I'm just giving you some to start with:

MARI
HVST
VFF
EMH
ABCN
THCX
Thanks for the info! Are these all Canadian listed? I generally by etfs which are listed with .TO. When I check these (HVST for instance), I see multiple options with endings of: .db, .vn and .wt. Any insights on this?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)