Investing

Cannabis (Marijuana) Stocks

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 12:44 am
Member
Sep 8, 2008
305 posts
38 upvotes
York
White Comet wrote: sold half of everything yesterday, holding cash waiting to buy...not dropping enough imo
Which ones are you eyeing?

WEED/APH are both up right now. Even HVST.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1866 upvotes
Ontario
Top three losers on my TD watchlists today are MPX, TGIF, ATT

Guess what three stocks this guy owns!!!!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 12, 2010
739 posts
160 upvotes
Vancouver
thoughts on long term outlook on ACB/DOJA?
Newbie
Jan 13, 2013
44 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
My marijuana stocks are now worth 1.3 million I wanted to cash out but I think it can grow more as we approach legalization. I maxed out my TFSA, and RRSP but the majority gain is in my direct investment account and I have 2 full time job total income is 180k per year. What the best approach for selling my stocks so I get taxed heavily? And how much will I be taxed if I sell everything?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1168 posts
587 upvotes
Ramblings wrote: Any InMed Pharmaceuticals holders here? Think I'll grab as a long term play.
I was very tempted to sell when I was 420%+ in gains. Great company doing great things. A definite winner if you're long.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
3555 posts
334 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote: You want a 15% drop or more?
Looking around 10-15%. 1-5% isn't really anything.
DaShaggy wrote: Which ones are you eyeing?

WEED/APH are both up right now. Even HVST.
Was hoping HVST drops a bit more as I'm looking to add. Looking at MARI, ABCN (also up), EMH, LIB,

Unknowns for me due to US: IAN, LHS, FFT, TGIF(have position but down every since)
Member
User avatar
Dec 22, 2008
356 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
hybrid09 wrote: I was very tempted to sell when I was 420%+ in gains. Great company doing great things. A definite winner if you're long.
I'm still learning to get used to holding things after they pass 70-80% gains. Respect
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 9, 2008
5681 posts
2233 upvotes
Thornhill
orian11 wrote: My marijuana stocks are now worth 1.3 million I wanted to cash out but I think it can grow more as we approach legalization. I maxed out my TFSA, and RRSP but the majority gain is in my direct investment account and I have 2 full time job total income is 180k per year. What the best approach for selling my stocks so I get taxed heavily? And how much will I be taxed if I sell everything?
Congrats! Your goal is to possibly defer, reduce and even avoid capital gains taxes as much as possible. Your TFSA is straight forward, cash out whenever and as long as the CRA doesn't decide to classify you as a 'trader' you'll incur no capital gains. Dependent on your circumstance and where you are in terms of your lift in terms of when you expect to retire, you should 100% consult a tax lawyer or accountant. You can either get into legacy planning or just try to defer as little capital gains as possible.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1486 posts
836 upvotes
Edmonton
agreed go see a professional...remember it's expensive to be "cheap" lol
Jeenyus1 wrote: Congrats! Your goal is to possibly defer, reduce and even avoid capital gains taxes as much as possible. Your TFSA is straight forward, cash out whenever and as long as the CRA doesn't decide to classify you as a 'trader' you'll incur no capital gains. Dependent on your circumstance and where you are in terms of your lift in terms of when you expect to retire, you should 100% consult a tax lawyer or accountant. You can either get into legacy planning or just try to defer as little capital gains as possible.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6149 posts
1097 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote:
I disagree wholeheartedly. This sector is in the biotechnology industry, one can assume these are all in the early stages still in trials until regulations pass. As such, it's fairly simple to evaluate based on expected pipeline of product(s), access to capital and funding and total addressable market.

Specialized research firms/hedge funds value this sector in the same way as clinical-stage biotech stocks, there aren't any unknowns out there other than varying assumptions dependent on each handicapper. Despite that, the frenzy can last for as long as it can.
This industry is full of assumptions, on revenue, on partnerships, on future LOI, on politics; it would be foolish to attribute any kind of benchmark or fundamental analysis. The only benchmark the masses and even experts are using are the BIG 3/5 of LPs, which even then, are based on assumptions. If it was facts and fundamental analysis, then the balance sheets would speak for themselves and we all know they do not.
nalababe wrote: Financials do matter...the ability to forecast accurately provides insight into how well a company understands their business. You never want a surprise that is too high or two low. If there will be significant deviation, that is why you provide updated information/forecast to the market in advance.

As for these financials, they didn't miss their mark. The expectations for 2018 ranged from a low end of 36M to a high end of 56M with a mean in the mid 40's. So if we look at 8.6M in Q2 and add the 6.1M in Q1, they are 14.7M for H1. With similar quarter on quarter growth, they are in line for hitting that 36-45M range.
Anybody can forecast, but how do we know these numbers are justifiable?

To both you guys, all i am saying is that, it is pure speculation until we have actual results after legalization. Nobody in the right mind can say, look, WEED has a market cap of 8B and we can justify it based on reasons X, Y, Z. We cannot even use reasons such as weed will be legalization because nothing is 100%.. but i digress, market factors in future news.
Last edited by 1xTiMeR on Jan 10th, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9712 posts
1916 upvotes
Toronto
More news from Nuuvera.
They signed Greg Taylor as president of NUU Canada. He was the co-founder of Steam whistle.
NUU signs marketing deal with Arlene Dickinson’s marketing company - Venture.
NUU is gonna be a beast!
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
735 upvotes
Actually it is not hard to forecast one, two or even three quarters...even for these companies.

1. Look at current contracts and historical purchase patterns
2. Look at confirmed increment due to new contracts
3. Look at confirmed reductions due to lost contracts
4. Determine increase or decrease in market so that you understand available (this will be the hardest...but only when you look 12 or 18 months from now. That said, you forecast at minimum quarterly...we do monthly but report quarterly).
5. Determine the increase or decrease in your market share based on the above...important to know your competition.

Now that is your base forecast. You then look at best and worst cases.

While it can be labour intensive, it isn't all that difficult to be relatively accurate.

Remember if there is a significant change then they will make the market aware and call up or call down their latest forecast and that could be a quarter, half or full year.
Jr. Member
Jul 28, 2007
107 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I've got a few hundred shares of PUF and MYM since about the 0.60 price range. Obviously some great gains there. Wondering if if should cash some in and step into a bigger player like ACB.

Anyone think long term there are still some gains to be made with either or have they peaked?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2251 posts
1139 upvotes
GTA
xtreme88 wrote: I've got a few hundred shares of PUF and MYM since about the 0.60 price range. Obviously some great gains there. Wondering if if should cash some in and step into a bigger player like ACB.

Anyone think long term there are still some gains to be made with either or have they peaked?
I would, MYM is a pump machine and day traders stock, it'd put your gains into some safer stocks.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4627 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
A bit of a correction is expected, great buying opportunities today.
Still long on CBW, TRST, LEAF
Full-time Realtor

Top