Investing

Cannabis (Marijuana) Stocks

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2021 5:38 pm
Sep 18, 2016
302 posts
252 upvotes
hebsie wrote: The problem with the ETF here is when the junk stocks in it start tanking, it'll take the stronger names down with it.

You know they have almost 50 different holdings, names like ATT, NAC, FIRE, ISOL .... ACB!

IMO, now is not a good time for HMMJ

I got my HMMJ early when it was cheap, but you got a very valid point Hebsie.
Index Investors, the Vegans of the Investing Industry
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2126 posts
597 upvotes
Kitchener
alanbrenton wrote: What are semi's?
I believe it refers to the semi conductor industry and how some of those once hot names ( Nvidia, Applied Materials and Broadcom ) cooled and they fell out of favour. Google is your friend.
Dec 31, 2015
727 posts
170 upvotes
I sold WEED too early last year (sold at $16ish after doubling my money so I took profits) so this time I thought I would hold APH a bit longer once it finally started to really get going in August and September. What a mistake that has been.
Jan 29, 2017
298 posts
142 upvotes
ah yes the classic 'i'm going wait till the hype dies down before i sell this purely hype driven stock'
Dec 31, 2015
727 posts
170 upvotes
All signs were pointing to a deal or something big happening. The insane volume, the sudden sale of LHS, etc. It's easy to say should have sold at 22, but it really seemed like it would continue.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1866 upvotes
Ontario

--------------

Copy from Reddit:

TL;DW

Discussion how MJ sector is following the broader market, not being manipulated by institutions as some suspect. There is a correlation that favours the bulls, and the broader marker has a significant short term impact on these MJ stocks. If the MJ sector breaks bullish, but the broader market does not, we can't put much trust the MJ bull break. Looking to see if SPY can start the oversold bounce so MJ sector can get a bull break. 4-hour pattern ranking: APH strongest, CGC, TLRY, CRON, ACB.

CGC: Supports: $37.32 & $37.35 (double bottom), $36.62. Resistance: $ 40.37, $41.06, $42.43

CGC equilibrium continues to play out, and a bull/bear break is highly likely Monday. Looking to form a lower high on the daily chart. Breaking $42.43 gives CGC tons of space for bulls to work with, as next resistance is $48.13 (~15% away). We need a SPY bounce

APH: Supports: $14.18, $13.76. Resistance: $16.77, 17.33.

Decent bullish aspects, especially on the 4 hour chart. Not confident higher low was established Friday. Really need to hold $15.21, but breaking that Monday wouldn't necessarily indicate a bear break because we aren't confident the higher low was established.

ACB: Supports: $9.18, $9.00 psychological, $8.64 to fill the gap. Resistance: $9.88, $9.72, $10.07, $11.29.

No bear flag as it's fading. If ACB breaks bearish, but CGC doesn't, then we can't trust the ACB break as much. Still seeing more volume on the CDN ACB ticker (25 million vs 13 million on NYSE). ACB is the weakest of the big 5.

CRON: Support: $7.62, $7.51. Resistance: $8.48, $8.88.

Trading in a really tight range, and break is imminent on Monday.

TLRY: Support: $ 103.25, $101.10, $100 psych, $97. Resistance: $115.25, $127.80.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5955 posts
1614 upvotes
hebsie wrote:

--------------

(posted this before you posted cliffs, seems to be the same opinion)Is it even relevant at this point? It's all going to depend on the rest of the market imo. But what I like is I think when the market bounces back, weedstocks will bounce even more as they've taken the bigger loss, but I think that just means people are going to be jumping right back in.

APH seems to be doing a little better than the rest, which sucks for me because I wanted to get in around $14.

I was thinking about HMMJ again when it was close to $18 too. Don't forget it pays a dividend which is nice. I originally got in HMMJ back in Jan/Feb at $22, but out now, so $18 didn't sound too bad and much safer.

I watch the weed sub, I've said it a month or two ago and I'll say it again, it's exactly the same as how the bitcoin market was and I'm glad I got out. People were talking about IPOs of companies they never even heard of and trying to get in. People jumping in RIV and they didn't even know what the company did. Every day people are posting about the new up and comer and you don't hear about the ones they were talking about the week before. Couple months ago all the talk was about the big companies, now there's a dozen or two people are pumping, and growing daily. The writing was on the wall, combined with the market sh***ing, was a recipe for disaster. I put some money in Amazon as a safer bet and am down 20% as well, I may have well just kept it in weed stocks as potential return could have been much better!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1866 upvotes
Ontario
baz5 wrote: (posted this before you posted cliffs, seems to be the same opinion)Is it even relevant at this point? It's all going to depend on the rest of the market imo. But what I like is I think when the market bounces back, weedstocks will bounce even more as they've taken the bigger loss, but I think that just means people are going to be jumping right back in.

APH seems to be doing a little better than the rest, which sucks for me because I wanted to get in around $14.

I was thinking about HMMJ again when it was close to $18 too. Don't forget it pays a dividend which is nice. I originally got in HMMJ back in Jan/Feb at $22, but out now, so $18 didn't sound too bad and much safer.

I watch the weed sub, I've said it a month or two ago and I'll say it again, it's exactly the same as how the bitcoin market was and I'm glad I got out. People were talking about IPOs of companies they never even heard of and trying to get in. People jumping in RIV and they didn't even know what the company did. Every day people are posting about the new up and comer and you don't hear about the ones they were talking about the week before. Couple months ago all the talk was about the big companies, now there's a dozen or two people are pumping, and growing daily. The writing was on the wall, combined with the market sh***ing, was a recipe for disaster. I put some money in Amazon as a safer bet and am down 20% as well, I may have well just kept it in weed stocks as potential return could have been much better!
Right, just don't be the first person to jump back in the pool. Let a few people get in, test the water temp for you first

Other than bragging about a great entry at 14.xx, there's really no sensible reason in going long-term APH here. A great entry at 14.xx means nothing if things get ugly and we head back $12. People thought $19 was awesome when it had just been $22, look at them today

We know the resistance and support levels, wait for the market to decide where it wants to take the share price.
May 1, 2013
635 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
orianna wrote: best thing i did was getting rid of acb. Cut your losses and put the money in a better stock.
What's wrong with ACB?
Oct 19, 2013
63 posts
45 upvotes
Ferocious12 wrote: What's wrong with ACB?
ACB's market cap is twice that of APH even though they are basically peers closely fighting for the second spot behind Canopy.

I'm actually shocked that ACB managed to hit $16 with all the shares that it has issued this year. Congrats to those that managed to ride the wave up to the $15-$16 mark...I think it will take some monumental news/event to get ACB back to those price levels again and I'm not convinced it will happen since the Diageos and Cokes of the world would be insane to invest in ACB at its currently inflated value.
Jan 5, 2015
95 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ferocious12 wrote: What's wrong with ACB?
I hate ACB. The only reason I even broke even and made a little profit since January (I was part of the first bandwagon, very clueless then) was because half my weed stocks was in Canopy. I lost count after 3 dilutions or whatever with ACB. Admittedly, it was very smart of them with their inflated value staying up dilution after dilution, but very bad for the bagholders. I only came out of it with gains comparable to a GIC, but at least I learned a lesson about doing your due diligence and gambling and stop losses.
Oct 26, 2018
2 posts
Toronto
New here and great to find a community to discuss this sector with. I've traded a few names in the past year, and recently took a position in BEER.V which is focusing on cannabis and non-alcoholic beverages. Wondering if anyone else here is invested or familiar with the stock?

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
Ferocious12 wrote: What's everyone's thoughts on Hexo?
bang on cheap, they're on track... cant wait for the expansion to be complete soon. Mgmt is smart and they are of course a Quebec favourite. They're somewhat ahead with the molson partnership as well. Many analysts still think they are very undervalued as well as their top shareholder who has been very vocal before the run up last two months. Picked up some warrants at a discount will avg down if it drops. This baby will rise!!!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
6288 posts
1194 upvotes
pujols wrote: ACB's market cap is twice that of APH even though they are basically peers closely fighting for the second spot behind Canopy.

I'm actually shocked that ACB managed to hit $16 with all the shares that it has issued this year. Congrats to those that managed to ride the wave up to the $15-$16 mark...I think it will take some monumental news/event to get ACB back to those price levels again and I'm not convinced it will happen since the Diageos and Cokes of the world would be insane to invest in ACB at its currently inflated value.
As MJ drops, the more likelihood some big company will come in and scoop up big shares.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2126 posts
597 upvotes
Kitchener
roatan2 wrote: New here and great to find a community to discuss this sector with. I've traded a few names in the past year, and recently took a position in BEER.V which is focusing on cannabis and non-alcoholic beverages. Wondering if anyone else here is invested or familiar with the stock?

Holding a few thousand shares at .34. I'll hold for a while longer. Seems a good fit. GL
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1866 upvotes
Ontario
CannTrust Expands Global Reach and Access To Asia-Pacific Region as Cannatrek's Cornerstone Investor
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 39168.html

Cannatrek is one of the first Australian vertically integrated enterprises to be awarded a cannabis research, cultivation, manufacturing, sales and import license by federal and state governments and is pioneering a world class 1.7 million sq. ft. greenhouse facility, which will position Cannatrek to be one of the lowest cost producers in Australia. This greenhouse project, when completed, will provide significant supply for the Asia-Pacific region and will allow CannTrust to purchase quality, low-cost cannabis from Cannatrek

Currently, Cannatrek is completing its first commercial facility, which is scheduled to be in production by early 2019.

As part of the partnership, CannTrust is making an investment of AUD $6.4 million (approximately CAD $6 million) for a 19.8% stake in Cannatrek, with an option to maintain this shareholding through any future share issuances up to and including Cannatrek completing an initial public offering.