Expired Hot Deals

[Cannet] Cable Internet 300Mbps - $39.98 (Potentially lower at $29.98 / $34.98 YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 10:33 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2067 posts
588 upvotes
Ottawa
txenglan wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 7:29 pm
Here's my experience with preparing for the switch ala requesting CanNet to cancel my existing service:

On phone with CSR ~

Me: Will you cancel my existing service
CSR: Who is your existing ISP
Me: Carrytel
CSR: In that case, no
Me: Just to confirm, your answer depended on who the existing ISP is..?
CSR: Yep and btw, we will be installing another line in parallel to the existing one so you can leave the first one active in case you need to revert
Me: Uhhh.....a second coax line???? I've never heard of that
CSR: Yep!
Me: .....Have a good evening *thinking the guy is nuts as I know there's just no way a Rogers tech is going to install a second line*

I then called Modemoutlet to clarify. The Modemoutlet guy explained that it's not a second physical line but a second account running on the same cable. He said that this is only possible when dealing with Rogers in the Ottawa area (note: minus Gatineau). As such, he says that for everyone in the Ottawa area, you can keep your existing service active and switch modems to compare if you want or you can even use a splitter to have bother active at the same time. I've never done it this way before but it makes sense that it's possible. Since they declined to cancel my Carrytel service, I'm just going to keep it running until after I've received the new modem and confirmed everything is working correctly - then I'll manually cancel my service with Carrytel.
you couldn't get the FTTB 1000 in Ottawa? That price sounds too good.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2917 posts
853 upvotes
eugene188 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 8:00 pm

you couldn't get the FTTB 1000 in Ottawa? That price sounds too good.
Not according to Bell's utility for checking but I wasn't really expecting to be able to anyway. I'm in a late 1980s development in South West. I think the max for DSL where I am is only 100 Mbps.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1470 posts
449 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Isildur101 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 7:04 pm
I switched from the 150/15 plan to the 300/20 with Cannet and got a real shock when I checked my online account today. It shows the regular price of the plan at 99.98 per month, and me receiving a $10 discount on that, meaning I would pay 89.98 per month plus tax. I just had a chat with support; the guy says online it will show only the regular price, but I will still be charged the 39.98 that was agreed to over the phone when I made the switch. They said they will send me an email to confirm my discounted pricing. This sounds more than a little fishy to me.
same. i sent them an email, they called back to clarify things. i kept a log of the call so i have something if i ever have to dispute things
Mar 5, 2018
40 posts
28 upvotes
Someone tried this company in quebec? they use Videotron cable, the thing is my iptv doesnt work with Fizz but it worked before with Videotron, now i choose carrytel it works too, I'm worried if i pay 59$ for the installation and after i see that iptv doesnt work!
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1333 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
I was trying to sign up for the 300/20 earlier today through the CanNet site online chat and couldn't get to the rep after multiple attempts and a long wait. Finally got to the rep but stopped responding after asking for my address. Also tried calling the CanNet phone # and spoke with someone from India, they weren't able to give the $34.98/m offer, only $39.99. So I gave up on that and went to the modemoutlet site's online chat. The rep there replied to all of my questions without any delays or wait times. He asked me to fill out the request form and email them my CarryTel invoice afterwards to bring down the install fee to $30.

$35/m for 2 years, and $45 afterwards, so I asked for modem only since I already have a router, but he said it'll be a Hitron CGN3 modem + router unit anyway, just set it to bridge mode.

So far, going through modemoutlet.com has been a more positive experience for me, vs directly with CanNet.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2844 posts
12305 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
hammouz wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 9:59 pm
Someone tried this company in quebec? they use Videotron cable, the thing is my iptv doesnt work with Fizz but it worked before with Videotron, now i choose carrytel it works too, I'm worried if i pay 59$ for the installation and after i see that iptv doesnt work!
I'm with them since a year, I'm upgrading to 120 from 30.

I have moved from Videotron, the tech who did the installation took him 2mns he changed the modem only and use existing cable.

The problem i'm having with my iptv it buffer not all the time, I will wire my box tomorrow.

Overall i'm happy with cannet
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Mar 5, 2018
40 posts
28 upvotes
Shadow888 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 11:07 pm
I was trying to sign up for the 300/20 earlier today through the CanNet site online chat and couldn't get to the rep after multiple attempts and a long wait. Finally got to the rep but stopped responding after asking for my address. Also tried calling the CanNet phone # and spoke with someone from India, they weren't able to give the $34.98/m offer, only $39.99. So I gave up on that and went to the modemoutlet site's online chat. The rep there replied to all of my questions without any delays or wait times. He asked me to fill out the request form and email them my CarryTel invoice afterwards to bring down the install fee to $30.

$35/m for 2 years, and $45 afterwards, so I asked for modem only since I already have a router, but he said it'll be a Hitron CGN3 modem + router unit anyway, just set it to bridge mode.

So far, going through modemoutlet.com has been a more positive experience for me, vs directly with CanNet.
I spoke with them both, its the same deal with 60$ installation fees even if we have already the videotron cable, I told them if they give a credit for the installation, cannet say no, modemoutlet say that if you are with carrytel you have to send them the invoice and maybe you'll have the 30$ off for the installation. If you're not with carrytel you'll not have the credit
Mar 5, 2018
40 posts
28 upvotes
Rlcky wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 11:16 pm
I'm with them since a year, I'm upgrading to 120 from 30.

I have moved from Videotron, the tech who did the installation took him 2mns he changed the modem only and use existing cable.

The problem i'm having with my iptv it buffer not all the time, I will wire my box tomorrow.

Overall i'm happy with cannet
Yeah I'm wired my box and I dont have any buffering issue, i'm actually with carrytel with their promotion 50mb/10 but I have 40mb/3... not too happy with the speed but my IPTV works fine, it didnt work with FIZZ, that's why I'm affraid to use my IPTV if I choose modemoutlek or cannet cause they use Videotron cable and I dont know if the port 80 and 8000 are open with these two companies
Jun 14, 2010
335 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Just signed up via chat on the CanNet website, was quick and easy. Happy to be leaving rogers after they increased my price from $35/month to $60/month.

They confirmed the following details:
Price is $34.98/month for 2 years, then goes up to $44.98/month
The above price includes a wired modem, Hitron CDA3-35
For an extra $5/month ($39.98/month for 2 years, then goes up to $49.98/month), you can get the Hitron CGN3.

So it looks like if you order through modemoutlet they will give you the upgraded CGN3 for the same price as CanNet offers the CDA3-35.

I personally have my own router so I preferred to get the CDA3-35 as I despise those modem/router combo units.

Thanks OP for posting this great deal!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2844 posts
12305 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
hammouz wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 9:05 am
Yeah I'm wired my box and I dont have any buffering issue, i'm actually with carrytel with their promotion 50mb/10 but I have 40mb/3... not too happy with the speed but my IPTV works fine, it didnt work with FIZZ, that's why I'm affraid to use my IPTV if I choose modemoutlek or cannet cause they use Videotron cable and I dont know if the port 80 and 8000 are open with these two companies
should be good with modemoutlet, you will get the deal from cannet.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Apr 13, 2005
607 posts
408 upvotes
Markham, ON
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 4:48 pm
Any slowdowns during peak times?
I had cannet for my in-laws in Scarborough (100Mbps) for almost 2 years.
There were some times with network congestion, but they weren't heavy users so not a big deal.

I however switched over to Rogers 2 weeks ago as their internet was down for several days (due to Rogers fault).

Some dumb Rogers technician disconnected the Rogers cable coming into my inlaws house, causing their Cannet internet to go down. Obvoiusly I couldn't contact Rogers directly as I wasn't their customer, I was Cannet's customer. I tried calling Cannet 2 days in a row, would wait on hold for 45 mins then I get disconnected by their shitty phone system.

I couldn't wait any longer, I simply contacted Rogers to get internet directly through them (on a Saturday night) and the Rogers tech was there Sunday morning and internet was up & running.

Sure the original problem was caused by an incompetent Rogers technician, but ultimately the fact that you can't get a hold of Cannet for 2 days to even report the issue and have it escalated to Rogers was a deal breaker.

I'm willing to pay the extra few bucks a month to have reliable support when I do use it.
Apr 13, 2005
607 posts
408 upvotes
Markham, ON
So the moral of the story, if there are any issues (Cannet fault or Rogers fault) be prepared to be without internet for a few days before you can get it addressed.
Jan 22, 2017
954 posts
206 upvotes
i do not see a cable internet option when i go to their website??
just fiber.

I also see this....

We are Sorry!

The Service is not avalible at Alberta
divx wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 6:52 pm
what you mean? they have coverage for alberta.
STEP INTO THE DARK SIDE...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3129 posts
456 upvotes
techjedi wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:51 am
i do not see a cable internet option when i go to their website??
just fiber.

I also see this....

We are Sorry!

The Service is not avalible at Alberta
Best to call in and give them your postal code. From there they can look it up and let you know what options are available. I was under the impression that Saskatchewan may have issues with being able to get a deal through them.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3035 posts
568 upvotes
I can recommend this company. Very stable and high speed constantly during the day.

I'll probably switch back once my Rogers promo is over.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)