Expired Hot Deals

[Cannet] Cable Internet 300Mbps - $39.98 (Potentially lower at $29.98 / $34.98 YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 10:33 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4423 posts
1322 upvotes
Kingston
engineered wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 9:04 pm
I was just offered 120 M for $34.98 plus tax for 2 years after $44.98 in Cogegoland from Cannet chat.
How is cannet vs carrytel in cogeco region?
I've had no issues with carrytel, Would cannet be the same?

I was also considering modemoutlet - 120mbps for $35 for 2yrs including free modem but $60 setup fee
Nov 22, 2010
213 posts
34 upvotes
Talked to them about this and Supervisor confirmed that It will be $34.98 after a discount of $65 as shown below- I upgraded from 100MBP for $34.98 to 300mbp for same amount and $25 one time fee for upgrade.

ON_R_Cable_300_Unlimited_99.98
Service Start Date: 2019-09-08
Service Status: Active
Monthly Fee: $99.98
Monthly Fee Discount:
Discount Type Amount Start Date End Date
Amount 65.00 2019-09-08 2021-09-07
Amount 50.00 2021-09-08
sumtimw0ng wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 8:24 pm
same. i sent them an email, they called back to clarify things. i kept a log of the call so i have something if i ever have to dispute things
Apr 1, 2013
34 posts
11 upvotes
txenglan wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 7:29 pm
Here's my experience with preparing for the switch ala requesting CanNet to cancel my existing service:

On phone with CSR ~

Me: Will you cancel my existing service
CSR: Who is your existing ISP
Me: Carrytel
CSR: In that case, no
Me: Just to confirm, your answer depended on who the existing ISP is..?
CSR: Yep and btw, we will be installing another line in parallel to the existing one so you can leave the first one active in case you need to revert
Me: Uhhh.....a second coax line???? I've never heard of that
CSR: Yep!
Me: .....Have a good evening *thinking the guy is nuts as I know there's just no way a Rogers tech is going to install a second line*

I then called Modemoutlet to clarify. The Modemoutlet guy explained that it's not a second physical line but a second account running on the same cable. He said that this is only possible when dealing with Rogers in the Ottawa area (note: minus Gatineau). As such, he says that for everyone in the Ottawa area, you can keep your existing service active and switch modems to compare if you want or you can even use a splitter to have bother active at the same time. I've never done it this way before but it makes sense that it's possible. Since they declined to cancel my Carrytel service, I'm just going to keep it running until after I've received the new modem and confirmed everything is working correctly - then I'll manually cancel my service with Carrytel.
Thanks for your input. I'm with Carrytel atm on their fibe network in chinatown area of Ottawa (very happy with the consistent speeds).. I used to be with Rogers a few years back and would have very unstable speeds, not sure if it's due to high congestion in my area or throttling but it was a terrible experience.

That being said, was there anyone in Ottawa, in the same area (chinatown/downtown) have experience with Cannet/Carrytel's cable line and how was your experience. I want to make the switch over from Carrytel 50fibe to Cannet's 300mbps cable line but am very skeptical. I'd also give Cannet a try if they have a trial period..not sure how that works with their installation fees though.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can give me advise
Apr 11, 2010
35 posts
9 upvotes
Ontario
For those transferring from Carrytel, do you set up the installation date the same date as your Carrytel cancellation date?

I just chatted online with modem outlet and they suggested I do that. They said it is called a swap. Also, he said I need to make sure that Carrytel provides them with "transfer confirmation". I guess they are going to do the transfer on my behalf.
Last edited by emailku417 on Sep 11th, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 6, 2015
50 posts
8 upvotes
Anyone have their one-time fee waived?

What modem do you receive when using modemoutlet?
Mar 5, 2018
40 posts
28 upvotes
Rlcky wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:08 am
should be good with modemoutlet, you will get the deal from cannet.
I took the deal with CANNET. I'm from Montreal. The guy told me that if I'm with CARRYTEL I've just to send him the invoice and I'll half 50% off for the installation, so they charged me 34$ tx in
He told me that I'll receive the modem with Canada Post and the technician will come the 20th, hope that my IPTV will work
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2844 posts
12305 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
hammouz wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:04 pm
I took the deal with CANNET. I'm from Montreal. The guy told me that if I'm with CARRYTEL I've just to send him the invoice and I'll half 50% off for the installation, so they charged me 34$ tx in
He told me that I'll receive the modem with Canada Post and the technician will come the 20th, hope that my IPTV will work
I can tell you my only complain about iptv is during peak hours which is between 7-8pm to 10pm, in the morning when my wife watch LCN\TVA no issue at all.

but my box isn't wired and i think with the upgrade from 30 to 120 all issues should be resolved.
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Feb 4, 2017
159 posts
169 upvotes
Rlcky wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 3:36 pm
I can tell you my only complain about iptv is during peak hours which is between 7-8pm to 10pm, in the morning when my wife watch LCN\TVA no issue at all.

but my box isn't wired and i think with the upgrade from 30 to 120 all issues should be resolved.
Are you using 5ghz wifi?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1333 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
hammouz wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:04 pm
I'm also switching from CarryTel but they never told me that any technician will be on site. They said I'll just need to plug the new modem in on the switching date. CanNet rep told me that all I'll need to do is to call CarryTel and request cancellation for Sept 22nd(which is what I did), and plug in the new modem after that... that was it.... Not sure if there's something I've missed(?)
Aug 20, 2018
136 posts
146 upvotes
My only complaint with this ISP is that I suspect they throttle VPN torrent traffic.

When I'm torrenting my perfectly legitimate Linux ISOs normally, I think I get pretty good speed. When I turn on the VPN it drops to 1.5 MB/s tops, generally less. Doesn't seem to be the specific VPN's fault since I've tried two and they both had the same behavior. I can do a speed test with the VPN and I get excellent speed as long as it's not a torrent.

Maybe this is just par for the course, I don't know. I'm not a Linux expert.
Last edited by dcipub on Sep 11th, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
7506 posts
2240 upvotes
Toronto
dcipub wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:39 pm
My only complaint with this ISP is that I suspect they throttle VPN torrent traffic.

When I'm torrenting my perfectly legitimate Linux ISOs normally, I think I get pretty good speed. When I turn on the VPN it drops to 1.5 MB/s tops, generally less. Doesn't seem to be the specific VPN's fault since I've tried two and they both had the same behavior. I can do a speed test with the VPN and I get excellent speed as long as it's not a torrent.

Maybe this is just part for the course, I don't know. I'm not a Linux expert.
I think that's just how the internet is through VPNs. I've tried Nord and PIA, both under-perform compared to without a VPN, it's just the price of using one IMO.
Aug 20, 2018
136 posts
146 upvotes
My previous ISP didn't do that, I think. There was the expected drop in throughput that all VPN traffic has, but not a seemingly enforced ~1.5 MB/s cap.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
7506 posts
2240 upvotes
Toronto
dcipub wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:47 pm
My previous ISP didn't do that, I think. There was the expected drop in throughput that all VPN traffic has, but not a seemingly enforced ~1.5 MB/s cap.
Maybe you're experiencing something different. As far as I can tell Cannet doesn't seem to throttle anything; my speeds are usually near the max even on wifi.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12278 posts
2819 upvotes
RFD
Hmmm I might end up going with this promo...

Rogers don't want to do any business with my pending renewal in Nov. They can't even match what I'm paying now 150u, $37.36/month.

Also got off with Fido chat and they can't do that promo that is posted in the other RFD thread, says its supposedly over.

Seems like this promo is the only one that's left....

Why does CanNet say that the $60 one time processing fee gets returned to the customer within 12 months $5 at a time, but modemoutlet says the fee is not returned? Why the difference between the two if they offer the same plan?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2006
1515 posts
138 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 8:32 pm
Hmmm I might end up going with this promo...

Rogers don't want to do any business with my pending renewal in Nov. They can't even match what I'm paying now 150u, $37.36/month.

Also got off with Fido chat and they can't do that promo that is posted in the other RFD thread, says its supposedly over.

Seems like this promo is the only one that's left....

Why does CanNet say that the $60 one time processing fee gets returned to the customer within 12 months $5 at a time, but modemoutlet says the fee is not returned? Why the difference between the two if they offer the same plan?
Cannet is $39.98, $60 processing fee refunded $5 at a time. I.e. $39.98 for 2 years guaranteed

Modem outlet is $34.98 $60 processing fee, no refund of processing fee. Equivalent to 39.98 for 1 year, after its 34.98 for 1 year (34.98 pricing guaranteed for 2 years)

That's how I understood it when csr explained to me my options when I asked about getting processing fee waived. I went with modem outlet plan