Expired Hot Deals

[Cannet] Cable Internet 300Mbps - $39.98 (Potentially lower at $29.98 / $34.98 YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 6:42 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1458 posts
329 upvotes
Burlington, ON
davidj8580 wrote: Now, my speed goes from anywhere between 1mbps to 90mbps, nowhere near the 300mbps it is supposed to be.
FWIW I had to wait about 36hrs for the modem to work, and then another day or two before I was getting the correct download speed (initially I was getting 70 down, and it should have been 120 down). I don't know if they have to provision the modem or what happens behind the scene, but it did take a few days before everything was up and running as it should be.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3890 posts
3107 upvotes
davidj8580 wrote: My install date was today. A tech came, checked the connection, and told me that everything was good. I had to switch my router to act as an access point in order to get an internet connection. When running speed test through wifi I only get 50> mbps download.

Do I have it setup right? I followed the instructions on the sheet that came with the modem that outlined how to take off the modem's own wifi.

I'm not getting any Internet connection through ethernet cables going from the router to other devices.

Finally got it to work by hard resetting the router and setting up the network again and not putting it in access point mode. Now, my speed goes from anywhere between 1mbps to 90mbps, nowhere near the 300mbps it is supposed to be.
Wifi is useless to test connection speed of your service. You need a wired cable connection to the modem and also need to ensure your computer can handle those speeds

I recall lots of people trying to run speed tests on their netbooks/htpc not getting speeds they were subscribed to but turned out it was their machine
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1848 posts
715 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
davidj8580 wrote: My install date was today. A tech came, checked the connection, and told me that everything was good. I had to switch my router to act as an access point in order to get an internet connection. When running speed test through wifi I only get 50> mbps download.
It is quite possible they initially configure a slower speed to and wait for the modem to download any firmware updates before stepping up the speed. If you are going with the lowest bidder, it is probably unreasonable to expect they will pay somebody to install the firmware before sending you the modem.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3890 posts
3107 upvotes
facebook259 wrote: I saw TekSavvy has decreased rates. I then checked start.ca. I saw in cogeco land they are offering 250/20 for $70/month. I just got off the chat and they’ll switch me over on the 1st to the faster speed.

There is no reason to go to the lowest bidder. Of course if you want to go to the lowest bidder, that is your choice.
Teksavvy is terrible and has useless customer/tech support.
Dec 27, 2012
156 posts
88 upvotes
Bowmanville
StatsGuy wrote: Wifi is useless to test connection speed of your service. You need a wired cable connection to the modem and also need to ensure your computer can handle those speeds

I recall lots of people trying to run speed tests on their netbooks/htpc not getting speeds they were subscribed to but turned out it was their machine
Sorry, I meant to type wired instead on wifi. I ran all of my speed tests through an ethernet connection.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
2294 posts
251 upvotes
I have notice speed test on their url speedtest.cannettel.com give me thier advertised speed 300/20 but when I use speedtest.net and I tried all the servers I get range from 130 to 200 only. Also fast.com I get about 180.

I think their own speedtest site is not accurate?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2835 posts
722 upvotes
zzricezz wrote: I have notice speed test on their url speedtest.cannettel.com give me thier advertised speed 300/20 but when I use speedtest.net and I tried all the servers I get range from 130 to 200 only. Also fast.com I get about 180.

I think their own speedtest site is not accurate?
LoL. I agree, their website would probably favour their advertised speeds, and when questioned, was told speedtest.net was inaccurate. Go figure.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2006
1640 posts
227 upvotes

Do I have it setup right? I followed the instructions on the sheet that came with the modem that outlined how to take off the modem's own wifi.

I'm not getting any Internet connection through ethernet cables going from the router to other devices.

Finally got it to work by hard resetting the router and setting up the network again and not putting it in access point mode. Now, my speed goes from anywhere between 1mbps to 90mbps, nowhere near the 300mbps it is supposed to be.
I'm having the same issues for speed. Was told even if I were to cancel I wouldn't get activation fee back despite only being a customer for less than a week. I am getting a new modem today so hopefully it was just hardware issue. Another RFD member said they had to wait 36 hours before everything was stable, I haven't done this since speed is unstable making the internet unusable so I switch back to my CarryTel modem. I'll have to get a splitter and test this theory.

DId you get yours fixed?
Jul 2, 2018
2 posts
The same issue here. Got connected last night. Web speed tests were not bad, around 260/20. However, FTP downlaods speed was around 4 mBps. Netflix was streaming at very low resolution. This morning things were a bit better, FTP was around 25 mBps which is within 70% of promices speed. After short awile I noticed that the speed dropped to something like 600 kBps and internet was unusable. Rebooted the modem and everything came back to life. 20 minutes later same problem, speed is below 1 mBps. Rebooted Hitron again - back to normal.

I beleave I got defective Hitron router. I addition there seems to be a huge performance hit during the evening hours. I'll do more testing tonight.

Btw, I'm running Hitron in "bridged" mode.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4714 posts
1546 upvotes
Kingston
My install for Cannet got rejected. Apparently Carrytel did not forward the transfer request to cogeco. The guy from Cannet said to tell them if they don't forward it, that I will escalate to C._._.
I couldn't understand what he was saying sounded like c d something. He said it like 3 times but my god every time I call the person is so hard to understand.

Any ideas what he was saying?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2006
1640 posts
227 upvotes
my issue was definitely modem, was only received 25 downstream channels. now i'm at 32, signal isn't the greatest but seems to be over 100mbps wired fluctuating up to 300 sometimes. Cannet tech (not rogers) is coming to take a look, hopefully they can diagnose and make it stable. Will be testing it for another week to make sure its all good before cancelling carrytel
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2835 posts
722 upvotes
What's the overall consensus? Anyone in the GTA have some feedback? I'm still trying to decide whether to keep Cannet...

I do have a quick question in regards to speed as I'm not too tech savvy.

My D/L speeds with CarryTel on the 100/10 Mbps plan were averaging 75 down and 10 up over Wifi , and ~ 95 down and 10 up wired.

With Cannet, on the 300/20, the D/L speeds are about the same, 75ish down and 20 up over Wifi, and ~270 down/20 up wired. Can someone tell me why over Wifi, D/L speeds are the same, and only when I'm wired, it makes a difference? Is it my settings on my router?

I've called Cannet support, and they can't diagnose the issue, as they're in India...
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1171 posts
55 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: My install for Cannet got rejected. Apparently Carrytel did not forward the transfer request to cogeco. The guy from Cannet said to tell them if they don't forward it, that I will escalate to C._._.
I couldn't understand what he was saying sounded like c d something. He said it like 3 times but my god every time I call the person is so hard to understand.

Any ideas what he was saying?
I was in the same situation. I was told by Cannet to file a complaint with the CRTC because Carrytel was jerking around customers by not issuing a Rogers disconnection number. I think Cannet is trying to avoid having a technician come out to my house. Eventually Cannet agreed to treat my account as a new install.

BTW, a received a CGN3 modem. Is this a modem/router unit? Is the consensus to bridge this thing and use my own router???

Cheers
Sep 9, 2018
237 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
fogo wrote: BTW, a received a CGN3 modem. Is this a modem/router unit? Is the consensus to bridge this thing and use my own router???

Cheers
Best to set to bridge mode as it only supports 802.11n. The modem ports are Gigabit Ethernet.
Mar 5, 2018
305 posts
261 upvotes
Montreal
The technician show up this morning, he verified the signal and he told me that the signal is very good! After this I plugged the modem and the cable and I wait one hour to get the internet, it works very good for now. I took the 120/20 in Quebec I got 125/21 with the speed test and the iptv works! Hope that it stays like that Ok Hand Sign