Expired Hot Deals

[Cannet] Cable Internet 300Mbps - $39.98 (Potentially lower at $29.98 / $34.98 YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 6:42 pm
Aug 24, 2008
21 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
The tech came today to install the service. Basically just disconnect from CarryTel Modem and tested for signal and then connect to Cannet Modem. Whole process lasted 5mins. Was asked to wait up to an hour for the service to connect. After the internet was up, I did speed test every hour or so. Speed seems to be pretty close to 300/20. Tried IPTV and torrents and didn't see any evidence of throttling. It's only the first night but I'm pretty happy for now.
Images
  • Speedtest results.jpg
Jul 2, 2018
2 posts
Got connected about 5 days ago. Speed was somewhat inconsistent first few days but things were good normal recently. However, today internet speed is just horrible. I'm getting 400 kbps max! By the way, all online speed tests show a good connection ~ 250/20 or so. As most know these tests mean nothing since their traffic prioritized by the ISPs.

Here is my WAN port traffic monitor. The big spike - is me running https://www.speedtest.net/
slow.png
Except for the speed test nothing else works: netflix, ftp, youtube etc.

Called technical support but was disconnected after 45 minutes waiting.

Pretty upset! Carrytel offered me the same deal when I was canceling but I declined since things were working fine.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1459 posts
329 upvotes
Burlington, ON
apizatron wrote:

Try FAST.COM since it tests your connection speed with Netflix servers. Also when playing YouTube videos, right click on the screen and select "stats for nerds". This will show you your connection speed to their servers.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Sep 24, 2019
20 posts
9 upvotes
So ive been a long time lurker.
I got the Cannet 300/20 deal. Was pretty happy with how responsive they were to get me. Modem came in quick, and my internet started up yesterday. They said I didn't need a tech since I had cable with teksavvy and it was through rogers, just to plug in modem. Well i did, and now i am only getting 23mbps tops. Their cannet speed test says 339 mbps. Called in and tech service said i need to buy a splitter as there is noise on my line and I should get -7dbmv one. So I did. Not helping me one bit. It sucks cause now I am out the cost of the splitter and still am having horrible internet. On Teksavvy i had 150mbps no problems.
Ive been on hold with Tech Support for over 40 mins.
This is not what I expected and am really regretting my choice here. Hopefully I can get my plan back with teksavvy if this isn't resolved.

EDIT: I just noticed that when I do a speedtest.net I get CIK telecom as my ISP. Been waiting over an hour still for tech to get on. had to call twice after getting kicked off
Aug 24, 2008
21 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
apizatron wrote: Got connected about 5 days ago. Speed was somewhat inconsistent first few days but things were good normal recently. However, today internet speed is just horrible. I'm getting 400 kbps max! By the way, all online speed tests show a good connection ~ 250/20 or so. As most know these tests mean nothing since their traffic prioritized by the ISPs.

Here is my WAN port traffic monitor. The big spike - is me running https://www.speedtest.net/
slow.png

Called technical support but was disconnected after 45 minutes waiting.

Pretty upset! Carrytel offered me the same deal when I was canceling but I declined since things were working fine.
Cannet has been awesome for me. But it's only been 2 days.
When I called CarryTel to cancel they also offered me a deal. 29.99 per month for 300/20.
On Cannet, I always seem to be getting 290+ speedtest.net and 33-36 MBps when downloading.
Carrytel seems a bit slower on speedtest.net with results around 250-280. Only did a bit of downloading on CarryTel but I got 30MBps+.
I'm leaning towards CarryTel right now since it's $5 cheaper per month even though I'm not getting full speed. I'm going to continue testing a few more days before I decide.
Sep 13, 2014
74 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I ended up cancelling Cannet their tech support was a hassle and even trying to cancel they gave me a hard time. Endless holds etc. to cancel.
I called back and told them if I am on hold again it will be CC chargeback and CRTC complaint. They finally cancelled it.
This company is not worth the hassle.

My average speeds were below 30mbps on Cannet.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4719 posts
1547 upvotes
Kingston
Phams0 wrote: Cannet has been awesome for me. But it's only been 2 days.
When I called CarryTel to cancel they also offered me a deal. 29.99 per month for 300/20.
On Cannet, I always seem to be getting 290+ speedtest.net and 33-36 MBps when downloading.
Carrytel seems a bit slower on speedtest.net with results around 250-280. Only did a bit of downloading on CarryTel but I got 30MBps+.
I'm leaning towards CarryTel right now since it's $5 cheaper per month even though I'm not getting full speed. I'm going to continue testing a few more days before I decide.
When I canceled Carrytel I told them I was getting a better deal with Cannet. I asked if they are offerring any deals, they said they don't price match and no sales on right now!
Cogeco area.
Sep 13, 2014
74 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Tha DraGun wrote: When I canceled Carrytel I told them I was getting a better deal with Cannet. I asked if they are offerring any deals, they said they don't price match and no sales on right now!
Cogeco area.
Carrytel's retention deal is for Rogers area customers 330/20 for $29.95
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3966 posts
3181 upvotes
cgeorge1969 wrote: Carrytel's retention deal is for Rogers area customers 330/20 for $29.95
Same, called carrytel to cancel and they offered me the $29.99 deal . But as I was already on cannet and not having issues , decided to stay. Though carrytel is $5 cheaper? Have until 29th to decide (my cancel date )
Nov 25, 2018
72 posts
28 upvotes
Looks like I'm stuck in limbo.... Cannet keeps rejecting my order because they don't have a cancellation number, but carrytel won't give me a cancellation number until the day of the actual cancellation. So I'll be without service for a while. Pretty frustrating process.

I tried to get carrytel to match the cannet deal but they also refused to do that. Said they were able to give it to a handful of customers but aren't offering it any longer. Not sure what to do at this point. I can't really afford to be without internet for a few days.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4719 posts
1547 upvotes
Kingston
along2 wrote: Looks like I'm stuck in limbo.... Cannet keeps rejecting my order because they don't have a cancellation number, but carrytel won't give me a cancellation number until the day of the actual cancellation. So I'll be without service for a while. Pretty frustrating process.

I tried to get carrytel to match the cannet deal but they also refused to do that. Said they were able to give it to a handful of customers but aren't offering it any longer. Not sure what to do at this point. I can't really afford to be without internet for a few days.
I had the same issue. I had to change my install date twice because Cogeco kept rejecting my install. I sorted everything out and It's now getting installed on the 30th.

What I had to was demand Carrytel submit the cancellation request the day I called. They said they couldn't do it early, but after arguing with them I got them to submit it while I was on the phone. They also gave me the Cogeco cancel order number. As soon as I emailed that order number to Cannet they were able to process my order and setup the install date with Cogeco.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2006
1175 posts
55 upvotes
When people re testing their speeds with Cannet, I'm assuming they are doing it from the router wired in and not wireless, correct???
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9057 posts
2909 upvotes
for those that called Carrytel to cancel to get the better deal....what happens if they accept your cancel request? lol I'm currently on the 150Mbps plan but paying $49.99
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3534 posts
1651 upvotes
fogo wrote: When people re testing their speeds with Cannet, I'm assuming they are doing it from the router wired in and not wireless, correct???
Adding wireless into the equation creates inaccuracy. On the other hand, if your wireless layout/equipment is good, you do a bandwidth measurement and you're effectively at the max upload and download you're supposed to be getting, there's not much point in doing a wired test.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3534 posts
1651 upvotes
Can anyone else with an Xbox please post your download/upload stats in this thread? I discussed my complaint with a number of CanNet support reps tonight and was given the expected "We don't throttle" speech. Incidentally, the reps are very hard to understand and the call quality doesn't help either. So far, the reps I have spoken to are useless and treat you like you're stupid and have no idea how to troubleshoot. Not a good experience so far. Although I was aiming to limit my complaint specifically to Xbox traffic being throttled, my bandwidth has gone back to being all over the place tonight. The rep asked me to do a speedtest using their own tool and it was hovering around 30 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. Over the last hour it has been everywhere from 20-350 Mbps down (according to their tool) and 8-15 Mbps up. I'm already regretting leaving Carrytel for this mess.