Expired Hot Deals

[Cannet] Cable Internet 300Mbps - $39.98 (Potentially lower at $29.98 / $34.98 YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 6:42 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4574 posts
1469 upvotes
Kingston
txenglan wrote: Can anyone else with an Xbox please post your download/upload stats in this thread? I discussed my complaint with a number of CanNet support reps tonight and was given the expected "We don't throttle" speech. Incidentally, the reps are very hard to understand and the call quality doesn't help either. So far, the reps I have spoken to are useless and treat you like you're stupid and have no idea how to troubleshoot. Not a good experience so far. Although I was aiming to limit my complaint specifically to Xbox traffic being throttled, my bandwidth has gone back to being all over the place tonight. The rep asked me to do a speedtest using their own tool and it was hovering around 30 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. Over the last hour it has been everywhere from 20-350 Mbps down (according to their tool) and 8-15 Mbps up. I'm already regretting leaving Carrytel for this mess.
What network are you on? There are quite a few complaints on here about the speed. I'm wondering if all these issues are using Cannet through the ROGERS network? or are some of you guys in Cogeco area too?
Mines getting switched over from CarryTel tomorrow. Hopefully there are no problems. I never had any issues on CarryTel. Actually received faster speeds then what I paid for. (COGECO network)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3222 posts
1254 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
What network are you on? There are quite a few complaints on here about the speed. I'm wondering if all these issues are using Cannet through the ROGERS network? or are some of you guys in Cogeco area too?
Mines getting switched over from CarryTel tomorrow. Hopefully there are no problems. I never had any issues on CarryTel. Actually received faster speeds then what I paid for. (COGECO network)
I'm on Rogers. I spent a great deal of time running tests last night. Aside from proving that Xbox is getting throttled by switching back and forth between CanNet and Carrytel (only took seconds when I had both on same coax), I have also proved this by forcing the Xbox through a VPN:

Without VPN = 40-50 Mbps max download
With Carrytel = 100 Mbps max download
With VPN = 280 Mbps max download

I'm not going to waste time arguing with the surly, unhelpful CSR reps. The level 2 support guy last night had the gall to tell me a speedtest on the Xbox can't properly measure bandwidth. I told him a speedtest using a browser shows about 280 Mbps on Xbox but game downloads are capped at around 50 Mbps (because it's a completely different type of traffic). I even walked him through the steps I've taken to prove throttling is being done but he wasn't listening. The next thing he said is the Xbox can't compete with other things I have on my network to get maximum bandwidth. Seriously? Have these guys got any qualifications whatsoever?

Clearly, CanNet is either playing the semantics game by saying "we don't throttle" (given that CIK or some other upstream entity is), they're incompetent and truly don't know that an upstream entity is throttling or they're outright lying about it. Per their web page, they have extensive references to not throttling and strange, quasi desperate-sounding claims that such "rumours" stem from attempts by competitors to discredit them. Sounds like a certain president south of the border. Comes off as overly defensive and shady to me. It's the equivalent of walking into a room with a child standing next to the cookie jar who exclaims "I didn't eat any!!!" as you enter....
Nov 9, 2009
25 posts
24 upvotes
Belleville
gimmedacash wrote: They said I didn't need a tech since I had cable with teksavvy and it was through rogers, just to plug in modem. Well i did, and now i am only getting 23mbps tops. Their cannet speed test says 339 mbps. Called in and tech service said i need to buy a splitter as there is noise on my line and I should get -7dbmv one. So I did. Not helping me one bit. It sucks cause now I am out the cost of the splitter and still am having horrible internet. On Teksavvy i had 150mbps no problems.
Ive been on hold with Tech Support for over 40 mins.
This is not what I expected and am really regretting my choice here. Hopefully I can get my plan back with teksavvy if this isn't resolved.

EDIT: I just noticed that when I do a speedtest.net I get CIK telecom as my ISP. Been waiting over an hour still for tech to get on. had to call twice after getting kicked off
I'm also switching from TekSavvy, but on Cogeco.
Cannet insisted on a technician visit, and today was it.
The Cogeco guy came tested the line, installed one of their splitters connected a line to each modem, waited for the TekSavvy (DCM476) one to sync and the Cannet one (TC4350) to start updating.
Told me the Cannet should be ready tonight, most likely within the hour.

When the modem finished updating, and the lights where all solid green (minus link light) I plugged in a computer.
I was unable to access the web interface so I held the reset button until all the lights turned off and waited for it to be ready again.
All looked good, but while running a speed test I only got 45 down and the modem rebooted during the upload test.
I figured it was reconnecting to give me the 120 down ordered, but all speed tests after have only been around 40 :/

Hopefully it will correct itself in the next few hours, if not I'll have to call support. (not looking forward to that as my cell is by the minute and the land line is voip at the other end of the house)

EDIT:
I called them, and due to wait time I was offered a call back rather then wait on hold.
Moments before the callback came, I had rebooted the modem and it came back online as the phone rang.
I was now at full speed. Time to test this connection out.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1574 posts
549 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Is your VPN over tcp or udp?

Most games use udp packets. It is actually expected udp packets will be given lower priority than tcp. Generally though you expect faster response times with udp, because there is no handshaking.

If it is udp vs top then it is not throttling, it is traffic shapping. Every router does some traffic shaping. We expect it as part of the QOS filters so the VOIP calls are clear and the downloads are fast. The problem is if the QOS doesn’t attempt to detect what type of traffic it is your hamming results suck.

txenglan wrote: I'm on Rogers. I spent a great deal of time running tests last night. Aside from proving that Xbox is getting throttled by switching back and forth between CanNet and Carrytel (only took seconds when I had both on same coax), I have also proved this by forcing the Xbox through a VPN:

Without VPN = 40-50 Mbps max download
With Carrytel = 100 Mbps max download
With VPN = 280 Mbps max download

I'm not going to waste time arguing with the surly, unhelpful CSR reps. The level 2 support guy last night had the gall to tell me a speedtest on the Xbox can't properly measure bandwidth. I told him a speedtest using a browser shows about 280 Mbps on Xbox but game downloads are capped at around 50 Mbps (because it's a completely different type of traffic). I even walked him through the steps I've taken to prove throttling is being done but he wasn't listening. The next thing he said is the Xbox can't compete with other things I have on my network to get maximum bandwidth. Seriously? Have these guys got any qualifications whatsoever?

Clearly, CanNet is either playing the semantics game by saying "we don't throttle" (given that CIK or some other upstream entity is), they're incompetent and truly don't know that an upstream entity is throttling or they're outright lying about it. Per their web page, they have extensive references to not throttling and strange, quasi desperate-sounding claims that such "rumours" stem from attempts by competitors to discredit them. Sounds like a certain president south of the border. Comes off as overly defensive and shady to me. It's the equivalent of walking into a room with a child standing next to the cookie jar who exclaims "I didn't eat any!!!" as you enter....
Nov 9, 2009
25 posts
24 upvotes
Belleville
Oh boy am I starting to regret switching.
I hope I never need support, either they have no clue about their own systems, or their grasp on English is so bad they can't explain things well.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3222 posts
1254 upvotes
facebook259 wrote: Is your VPN over tcp or udp?

Most games use udp packets. It is actually expected udp packets will be given lower priority than tcp. Generally though you expect faster response times with udp, because there is no handshaking.

If it is udp vs top then it is not throttling, it is traffic shapping. Every router does some traffic shaping. We expect it as part of the QOS filters so the VOIP calls are clear and the downloads are fast. The problem is if the QOS doesn’t attempt to detect what type of traffic it is your hamming results suck.
The VPN runs over UDP. I haven't tested latency in games per se as everything looks fine there and I don't really care about latency on the Xbox anyway. What I do mind is having game downloads interfered with which is what is happening. As I mentioned, I've also tested this by switching back to Carrytel (when I still had it active) and got the full 100 Mbps down and 10 up. I understand the difference between throttling and shaping but I assume it's easier for people to understand who aren't technical. To ensure no skew is present in the time it takes to switch the VPN on/off for the Xbox, what I've done is to implement selective routing so that only Xbox traffic goes through the VPN. I then do a "normal" speed test outside that tunnel using another system. Then, on completion, I immediately run a speedtest on the Xbox inside the tunnel. The speed for the Xbox when inside the tunnel is always equal to the maximum speed measured outside the tunnel (well say within a 5% deviation). As soon as I then collapse the tunnel and allow the Xbox out via the non-VPNed default gateway - splat!....back to 20-40 Mbps.

Anyhow, based on the experience I've been having, I'll be switching back to Carrytel if they have a retaliatory "promotion". Leaving the Xbox aside, my typical download speeds tonight have been in the 5-10 Mbps range (maybe 1-2 Mbps up) but after midnight, they've "magically" floated back up to around 150-200 Mbps down and about 10 up (which still isn't anywhere near advertised).
ShetiPhian wrote: Oh boy am I starting to regret switching.
I hope I never need support, either they have no clue about their own systems, or their grasp on English is so bad they can't explain things well.
Good thing their incredibly impressive customer care skills make up for all of that. They're always so happy to hear from us! Winking Face
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1574 posts
549 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I personally ended up switching to Cogeco’s gigabit network as a result of this thread.

It started with me searching deals and seeing start.ca had 256/20 fore my address. Two brand new modems later, and still no 256/20 I decided these slower speeds are now what Cogeco considers a legacy network. This hypothesis is consistent with the dramatic increases in outages over the last year, and the inability to even tell providers consistent information.

I work on the Internet. Having a legacy network service, regardless who is the provider is a bad idea. So the gigabit upgrade made sense even at the higher price.

My TMobile AC1900 hundreds barely get me 400/25. So I probably should have saved the $7/month and signed up for the 360/30. But since I will probably buy an upgraded router next time Asus has a good sale, no need to downgrade.

I can say overall I do not notice the speed difference. 40/10 met all my needs. I just didn’t want to remain on a legacy network, and I did not want to suffer though pains as my networking needs keep growing.

I am truly hoping in a couple of years Start Communications will be offering service on the higher speed network, as I would gladly change back to them.

I think though those willing to consider Cannet have a distinctly different use case, where gambling on possibly poor connection is not that big of a risk.