Expired Hot Deals

[Cannet] Cable Internet 300Mbps - $39.98 (Potentially lower at $29.98 / $34.98 YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2019 9:38 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1291 posts
318 upvotes
Variability wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 4:47 pm
For anyone wondering I've been with Cannet since 2017, no issues apart from times where there's outages for Rogers (I think that's who they're selling down from), other than that it's been a non-issue. No random fees, no upcharges or calls at all. Perfect for me since I was paying the same price.
Any slowdowns during peak times?
Jan 22, 2017
948 posts
206 upvotes
anything for alberta?
STEP INTO THE DARK SIDE...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
7494 posts
2230 upvotes
Toronto
RAINMAN0 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 4:48 pm
Any slowdowns during peak times?
I haven't noticed any and I'm quite a heavy user I'd say. Data hoarder at about 45TB and counting.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2914 posts
852 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 2:27 pm
Yup, there is zero requirement or obligation for new isp to and they don't do it

Just like you can ask for free service and they may give it to you. Will it happen? No

Everything I've stated is correct as per provided link. Just like saying based on the legislation, you can get service for free if isp agrees. Will it happen? No

I'm pragmatic and telling what happens. You have to call and cancel yourself. Just like you will have to pay and not get it for free even when you may get it
Ahhhhhhh ok. I must have imagined it the numerous times different ISPs have done it for me over the last 10 years.
Jan 8, 2007
58 posts
3 upvotes
IHavocI wrote:
Sep 7th, 2019 7:59 pm
Cannet is offering 300 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload for $39.98/month for 2 years ($49.98/month afterward). Available in Rogers cable area.

$60 processing fee that will be credited back $5 per month for 12 months.

- Unlimited usage
- 2 years price guarantee
- No contract
- Includes modem rental
Was quoted 29 now and 39 after for the promo today via chat.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
7969 posts
3144 upvotes
East York
monsterru wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:25 pm
Was quoted 29 now and 39 after for the promo today via chat.
Over the phone they will only do $39, because there's a mandatory +$5 for modem rental and +$5 for router rental. What did you get quoted on?
Jan 8, 2007
58 posts
3 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:54 pm
Over the phone they will only do $39, because there's a mandatory +$5 for modem rental and +$5 for router rental. What did you get quoted on?
I think you're right. Those were extra. And chat disconnected before I had a chance to clarify exactly that.

So to confirm, only modem is mandatory? And you can buy it?

Thanks,
D.
Feb 4, 2017
145 posts
164 upvotes
ManCaveGamer wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:54 pm
I told them I was using my own router and they waived the $5 router charge.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
30688 posts
2567 upvotes
Winnipeg
techjedi wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 4:51 pm
anything for alberta?
what you mean? they have coverage for alberta.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1466 posts
1130 upvotes
monsterru wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 5:57 pm
I think you're right. Those were extra. And chat disconnected before I had a chance to clarify exactly that.

So to confirm, only modem is mandatory? And you can buy it?

Thanks,
D.
Can't buy modem . Router is optional
Feb 19, 2011
116 posts
40 upvotes
Oshawa
I switched from the 150/15 plan to the 300/20 with Cannet and got a real shock when I checked my online account today. It shows the regular price of the plan at 99.98 per month, and me receiving a $10 discount on that, meaning I would pay 89.98 per month plus tax. I just had a chat with support; the guy says online it will show only the regular price, but I will still be charged the 39.98 that was agreed to over the phone when I made the switch. They said they will send me an email to confirm my discounted pricing. This sounds more than a little fishy to me.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3006 posts
2411 upvotes
Markham
Isildur101 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 7:04 pm
I switched from the 150/15 plan to the 300/20 with Cannet and got a real shock when I checked my online account today. It shows the regular price of the plan at 99.98 per month, and me receiving a $10 discount on that, meaning I would pay 89.98 per month plus tax. I just had a chat with support; the guy says online it will show only the regular price, but I will still be charged the 39.98 that was agreed to over the phone when I made the switch. They said they will send me an email to confirm my discounted pricing. This sounds more than a little fishy to me.
When I chatted online, I specifically asked for email confirmation of pricing. The guy straight away sent me the email when the chat was ended.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2914 posts
852 upvotes
Here's my experience with preparing for the switch ala requesting CanNet to cancel my existing service:

On phone with CSR ~

Me: Will you cancel my existing service
CSR: Who is your existing ISP
Me: Carrytel
CSR: In that case, no
Me: Just to confirm, your answer depended on who the existing ISP is..?
CSR: Yep and btw, we will be installing another line in parallel to the existing one so you can leave the first one active in case you need to revert
Me: Uhhh.....a second coax line???? I've never heard of that
CSR: Yep!
Me: .....Have a good evening *thinking the guy is nuts as I know there's just no way a Rogers tech is going to install a second line*

I then called Modemoutlet to clarify. The Modemoutlet guy explained that it's not a second physical line but a second account running on the same cable. He said that this is only possible when dealing with Rogers in the Ottawa area (note: minus Gatineau). As such, he says that for everyone in the Ottawa area, you can keep your existing service active and switch modems to compare if you want or you can even use a splitter to have bother active at the same time. I've never done it this way before but it makes sense that it's possible. Since they declined to cancel my Carrytel service, I'm just going to keep it running until after I've received the new modem and confirmed everything is working correctly - then I'll manually cancel my service with Carrytel.
Feb 4, 2017
145 posts
164 upvotes
txenglan wrote:
Sep 10th, 2019 7:29 pm
Here's my experience with preparing for the switch ala requesting CanNet to cancel my existing service:

On phone with CSR ~

Me: Will you cancel my existing service
CSR: Who is your existing ISP
Me: Carrytel
CSR: In that case, no
Me: Just to confirm, your answer depended on who the existing ISP is..?
CSR: Yep and btw, we will be installing another line in parallel to the existing one so you can leave the first one active in case you need to revert
Me: Uhhh.....a second coax line???? I've never heard of that
CSR: Yep!
Me: .....Have a good evening *thinking the guy is nuts as I know there's just no way a Rogers tech is going to install a second line*

I then called Modemoutlet to clarify. The Modemoutlet guy explained that it's not a second physical line but a second account running on the same cable. He said that this is only possible when dealing with Rogers in the Ottawa area (note: minus Gatineau). As such, he says that for everyone in the Ottawa area, you can keep your existing service active and switch modems to compare if you want or you can even use a splitter to have bother active at the same time. I've never done it this way before but it makes sense that it's possible. Since they declined to cancel my Carrytel service, I'm just going to keep it running until after I've received the new modem and confirmed everything is working correctly - then I'll manually cancel my service with Carrytel.
That is correct. You can have two internet services running on cable simultaneously with each having its separate modem. You can try each one out and see which better fits your needs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)