Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

CanNet Pre-Black Friday Deal 50M Unlimited FTTN Internet for new customers in Ontario for $14.98/month (BYOD available)

Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7465 posts
796 upvotes
Waterloo
Is their any better deal currently? Debating of leaving cannet... Seriously with a huge forum like this we should start our own ISP Face With Tears Of Joy

Carrytel has some what a good deal
Aug 18, 2010
521 posts
251 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Good luck dealing with throttling and their customer support
Never again Cannet
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
1638 posts
502 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I had a nightmare with their 50M FTTN (BELL's DSL).
In the first 20+ days, the internet was good and it never had an issue.
At the end of the 1st month, my internet kept dropping... now and then... sometimes it would restore by itself. sometimes not. Their customer service team were located in India and they were useless.
I would avoid this ISP as possible as I can.
Jul 6, 2019
66 posts
10 upvotes
Avoid like the plague worst isp I’ve ever been, 2015 was a dreadful time when it came to internet.

Anyone have any experience with Acanac I’m interested in their 6 month free internet, 1 year term promo, practically at the 50/10 at 28.19 after the free 6 months which is $30 cheaper than teksavvy.
Feb 4, 2017
287 posts
356 upvotes
Been with Cannet for over a year at 2 addresses. Minimal issues and speed has been mostly consistent at 300 mbps and most importantly the price has not changed. They also have me credit for downtime without me even asking! Yes their customer service is India and not the most ideal to deal with, but I'm willing to put up with that to have a fixed low cost bill.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1811 posts
1037 upvotes
Big nope to Cannet/Carrytel. I signed up with them about a month ago with the 150m line. Had speed issues which they determine I needed a modem replacement and hours spent on calls (all during peak hours). I assumed they "fixed it" at that moment by turning off throttling to my IP so I get satisfactory speedtest/fast results.

While it's been barely acceptable with streaming, I finally got around to loading up a good sized list of torrents yesterday. 1-1.9mb download. What a joke.
2.7 Maximum Internet speed. CANNET is always trying to provide the highest speed as possible under the speed profile customer ordered, however we cannot guarantee the maximum internet speed as it is related to many factors such as distance from CO to customer site, customer home network condition, Network equipment such as Wi-Fi router, Time of a day, physical line condition etc. Maximum speed in peak hour may be a little bit slow for some of customers. In general customer maximum speed is based on best effort, not guaranteed.

2.8 Unlimited internet usage. CANNET may provide unlimited internet usage for upload/download with or without conditions which is based on residential customer normal usage, if abnormal usage or malicious activities detected which endangers CANNET network; CANNET may suspend customer’s service or limited the speed immediately without notice in advance
Dec 14, 2010
55 posts
84 upvotes
Ottawa
SamG852 wrote: Couldn't pay me to go back. Being threatened to have a collection agency sent after me for asking for a refund on services... that was not worth the hours. Nor were the dropped service or slow service in the evening. I couldn't even get a video call to a doctor going. Not worth the risk. They also make you pay to return the modem. Just a heads up.

Have an experience like that and then reading this at the bottom of their terms. "Cannettel solely reserves the right to change or withdraw and / or alter any terms and conditions of the offer at any time without prior notice to the customer." It's not worth it unless you're tight for funds.
I don't even know where to start... I don't often post and don't want to offend anyone but I had to share and say something regarding Cannettel and other DISCOUNT re-sellers. I have switched many of my friends and family members from their expensive Top Tier Internet providers (Bell/Rogers/Videotron) over the past 3 years (3 years, 9 months for me as I tried them for myself and before switching others.)

We haven't had any issues with throttling unless you get the Cable re-seller service bellow 100M which has often been known to slow down, NOT throttled (good'ol straw analogy). Those familiar with the technology might be aware that the 15M/30M/60M Rogers/Videotron service (in our area) is known to slow down as it gets overwhelmed from everyone in the neighborhood starting their streaming services (typically 4pm to 10pm).

I've been suggesting to get the FTTN service (Bell in our area) which is 50M/10M all the time no matter what (image attached). To be completely transparent, we have had an issue or two during the installation process or scheduling but that is not Cannettel, This is usually due to an issue with the local installation subcontractor which are the same installers as Rogers/Videotron.

As for support, I have to admit that they're not the best in the business. Definitely not award winning but that's what you get for discount internet providers (from my experiences). In my opinion and experience, once the service is up and running, there should be no reason to contact them - it should continue to function. One of my own outages since I started ended up being an issue with Bell themselves and I was the one who informed Cannettel what the issue was.

I have to add that with my friends and family members, almost all of the issues and problems they've encountered had been with their own WiFi configuration and signal strength - nothing to do with the provided cannettel service.

Anyways, I hope this helps some in making their informed decisions.

Cheers and good luck!
Images
  • FTTN-50-10.JPG
I like stuff
Apr 5, 2019
31 posts
33 upvotes
d_henri wrote: Stuff
I have the Videotron engineer coming out to install my 100mbps Cannet package tomorrow.. Hoping I also get no issues! In my area (Pointe-Claire) my only choices seem to be 5mbps dsl through bell or 100mbps cable through Videotron. Infuriating as I know the surrounding streets have recently gotten 500mbps fibre.

I was with 50mbps Virgin FTTN but I moved address, moved the package to here and they kept charging me for the 50mbps package but only gave me 5 without even telling me... Phoned up to complain and they moved me onto the 5mbps package as that's all they could offer here and then of course I used up all the data included in that crappy package (again, they didn't tell me it had a cap) and now I'm getting charged per gigabyte used for this month... ugh. Clearly I've been unlucky with Virgin as others seem to praise them, I've had to phone up a few times in the last year and they've been utterly useless for me.
Feb 6, 2007
468 posts
142 upvotes
Markham
Stay away from this company. I would have responded earlier, but my internet (Cannet) wasn't working. I too am waiting for a BF deal to move out.
Oct 30, 2019
2 posts
Toronto
I'm currently subscribed to cannet "75/10" cable and they point me to a speedtest they host themselves to claim they always provide the line speed they advertise.

However, I've run speed tests through various sites and in the evenings I frequently observe 1-4 Mbps (!) downloads instead of the 75 I'm supposed to receive.

Earlier, I ended up without internet for over a week when something went wrong with the Rogers line - while this isn't strictly cannet's fault, they have little ability to promise rapid service in the face of infrastructure issues as Rogers is incented to provide the minimum level of service quality to their competitors. Add to this that calls have taken 30-60 minutes on hold before I can reach someone offshore on the other end of a heavily compressed VOIP line.

"you get what you pay for" - it's very true in this case.
Apr 17, 2017
9 posts
5 upvotes
Just wanted to put my two cents because I see so many negative posts about Cannet. I think its a huge YMMV depending on your location. For reference, I live in the downtown core.

In the last 6 months I've been with Rogers, Carrytel and Cannet. I would rank them Rogers > Cannet > Carrytel.

Rogers was fine, minimal outages, no throttling, but expensive at ~$70 for 150mbps. They wouldn't offer me a promotion until I left for Carrytel already and then offered me a gigabit promo plan at $60 for 12 months, $100+/month afterwards. I got tired of switching providers every 12 months for these promo plans so I didn't go back to Rogers.

Carrytel (75mpbs plan) was horrible. Extreme throttling during peak hours. It was so bad Youtube could only load 144p (yes 144p) for 1 device. I switched to Cannet 300mbps $35/month after 1 month.

Cannet (300mbps plan): I get 300mpbs during non-peak times and never had an outage during non-peak times. For peak times (6pm-11pm): Although speedtests show I get 200+mbps, I've never been able to download anything at over 100mbps. I experience around 1 outage every ~1-2 weeks, lasting 30min, usually during 8-9pm.

Overall, I'm satisfied enough with Cannet to stay. I work from home a lot so stability during business hours is my #1 priority, and during business hours I've never had a single issue. The price difference between Rogers and Cannet is too large for my area (i'd be paying 2-3x as much) .
Oct 28, 2005
484 posts
400 upvotes
I signed up for CanNet two days ago and just cancelled after reading the bad reviews here on RFD (about throttling and tech support). I'm in Cogeco land unfortunately. I'm not sure who to believe about CanNet and if they are as bad as most posts make them out to be.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15250 posts
3953 upvotes
Markham
tivo_box wrote: I signed up for CanNet two days ago and just cancelled after reading the bad reviews here on RFD (about throttling and tech support). I'm in Cogeco land unfortunately. I'm not sure who to believe about CanNet and if they are as bad as most posts make them out to be.
You just have to do more research. Look at Cannet reviews and also CIK (because Cannet uses CIK as a backbone)
add those together and you will see why they get so many down votes in RFD
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
May 5, 2016
26 posts
12 upvotes
Hey Guys,

I used https://www.carrytel.ca/ before and for where I live I had no issues (cable connection which they buy from Rogers anyways) - had 75 down/10up at the time for $35. Never had any issues whatsoever when I was with them.

I ended up switching to Rogers when they offered me 500 down/20 up or something for $25 a month for 1 year term which is coming up soon. (I knew the switching back and forth would be a hassle but to me the $10 less a month plus the drastic increase in speed was worth it)

I'm just going to see what's out for Black Friday and Cyber Monday and make the switch then. The Rogers deal was pretty sweet tho! Hopefully retention will honor it for another year when I tell them I'm switching lol

To all those who warned us of Cannet, Thank you (I would have fell for the price and suffered after).
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2062 posts
1098 upvotes
Montreal
Cannet has a very bad service and reputation and is best avoided.

On the other hand, Carrytel is 29.99/month for 50/10, no activation fee and free modem/WiFi. Their reviews are very good.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]