Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

CanNet Pre-Black Friday Deal 50M Unlimited FTTN Internet for new customers in Ontario for $14.98/month (BYOD available)

Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
williamsauga wrote: Be aware of Cannet speed throttling.

At the end of the day, you get what you paid for.
Not true. Had them for almost 3 years, first for 75/10 then 300/20 recently, across two different addresses in two cities. Zero throttling, less than a handful of issues that were easily resolved by staff which are knowledgable. They tend to pick up phones much quicker than Robbellus too. A lot of complaints about Cannet go back to early days when they were CIK and ran what many believed was a brothel on wheels. But they improved a lot. And it sure feels great to pay only $45 all in for 300/20.
Last edited by thelasthunter on Nov 28th, 2019 1:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
For Sale:
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
krs wrote: Thanks,

I don't understand why my search on RFD didn't bring any of that up.

I tried "Virgin internet" and also just "virgin" - without the quotation marks of course
Don't use forum search, Use google
Virgin Internet redflagdeals
Last edited by Keigotw on Nov 28th, 2019 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
thelasthunter wrote: Not true. Had them for almost 3 years, first for 75/10 then 300/20 recently, across two different addresses in two cities. Zero throttling, less than a handful of issues that were easily resolved by staff which are knowledgable. They tend to pick up phones much quicker than Robbellus too. A lot of complaints about Cannet go back to early days when they were CIK and ran what many believed was a brothel on wheels. But they improved a lot. And it sure feels great to pay only $45 all in for 300/20.
Cannet still use CIK as backbone. I see speed test from Cannet users all showing CIK. none actually says Cannet
to me that looks like Cannet is just a reseller of CIK.

cannet-unlimited-cable-internet-60m-24- ... #p31713970
cannet-cable-internet-300mbps-39-98-pot ... #p31502918
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Dec 7, 2007
370 posts
240 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: All I can tell you is what I'm getting - consistently 220-300, during peak hours. If that counts as throttling than I am happy.
I was using 70/10, when I tested, it showed ok speed, but the response time was longer and reality you can feel it was slow reaction. might be your 300 won't feel the slow response.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
So yes cannet is throttling iptv and my iptv would always buffer, so I turned on my vpn and magically the buffering went away! Sneaky buggers
Love saving money......
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
2011 posts
935 upvotes
Ottawa
sassysue wrote: Currently a cannet customer and service has been ok but I'm gonna be looking for a new service because I do feel like I'm being throttled at peak times
I’m noticing the same behaviour on Cable after three months in. The cost has been break even after the install fee to paying a bit more to flip between Fido and Virgin on an annual basis for promos so I’m likely to switch out sooner than later.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7772 posts
1025 upvotes
Waterloo
surrealillusion wrote: I’m noticing the same behaviour on Cable after three months in. The cost has been break even after the install fee to paying a bit more to flip between Fido and Virgin on an annual basis for promos so I’m likely to switch out sooner than later.
I'm currently using a vpn for iptv and it now works awesome my iptv no longer freezes it's nice and fast.
Love saving money......
Jul 6, 2019
66 posts
10 upvotes
krs wrote: There doesn't seem to be a separate thread for Virgin internet.
Anyone have experience with them?
What technology do they use - cable FTTN/ I assume FTTH is not an option.
Virgin is dsl. If you live in ftth bell area they’ll give you Valerie modem but if you don’t you get Steve modem.
Oct 10, 2019
94 posts
41 upvotes
I was using cannet till last year but changed after i moved!! I currently use bell but the speed is no where near, so i go to their social media and found that all the comments under every post is negative reviews and complains from the customer!! To be honest no one ( even me ) bothers to go and write a good review unless i am asked to like by the uber drivers!!! its always when the internet is down we come online to rant, i mean its so frustrating when your internet does not work!! When i was with cannet i had no issues in particular but never spared a time to leave a review, after paying twice the price and slow internet to top, the least i can do is leave this here.
Kids are really bad these days.....
May 14, 2008
976 posts
621 upvotes
Toronto
Dont use cannet, i’m using 75 cable, at night only 3. Shit service....day time about 50.
I gonna cancel the service soon.
Apr 5, 2019
38 posts
37 upvotes
a16107 wrote: not even reseller...they are same boss and same company
Yup, I got Cannet installed a few weeks ago and the router is CIK branded.

No complaints so far on Cannet cable (Videotron) in Pointe-Claire - I'll leave if I get any problems or when fibre becomes available in my area (they have it in the surrounding streets...). My only choices were 5mbps through old copper phone lines or 100mbps with cable - and the cable was cheaper... Haven't had any noticeable slow downs at night thus far but even if I did it's probably still faster than the 5mbps I was getting with Virgin at this address. I'm not really a heavy user anymore though mostly just streaming TV in the evenings and downloading the occasional game on Steam.