Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Sr. Member
Sep 16, 2012
644 posts
499 upvotes
GTA/London
redflagged2006 wrote: Oh good to know...

Does that mean non-big 3 providers will have issues providing cable/FTTN/DSL to these FTTH capable homes?
Yes, however I have usually seen that most Ontario homes are Bell Fibre, it is unlikely you have Rogers fibre.

If you run your address through start's address qualification tool (https://www.start.ca/) and you still don't get cable, it is likely you are in a FTTH-only area.

Non Big 3 AKA GAS (DSL) or TPIA (Cable) will not have access to FTTH until ~2 years is my best guess.
💳: Amex Pers Plat, Scotia Amex Gold, CTFS WE, Brim WE, Simplii VISA
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 4, 2003
1060 posts
147 upvotes
I had 30/5 cannet cable since Jan. 2017. It's been solid speed and reliable. Now I saw they have 25M/10M plan with 2X upload speed. Any chance I could switch to that plan? Switch fee I assume there is? Thanks.
Newbie
Jun 30, 2014
33 posts
18 upvotes
Can anyone give me some insight on the Asus router modemoutlet is offering? Is it any good for a single student in a small apartment? Thanks!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 4, 2003
1060 posts
147 upvotes
Tenken93 wrote: Can anyone give me some insight on the Asus router modemoutlet is offering? Is it any good for a single student in a small apartment? Thanks!
I had it in a house. Solid wireless speed at main floor and 50% reduction upper stairs. It will be well enough in small apartment.
Jr. Member
Mar 17, 2017
101 posts
24 upvotes
hi, anyway to close current 2yr internet contract to get this one? really keen to switch and save some monthly $$
Newbie
Jul 8, 2017
25 posts
14 upvotes
Just had really bad experience when trying to sign up, without getting into detail I'd advise you guys to read up on the reviews of this company before signing up so you know what you're getting yourself into. Will be sticking with Rogers for the time being.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1000 posts
119 upvotes
I'm interested in the 25/10 plan. However when I input my postal code to verify service availability nothing happens. The other funny thing is that when I view Cable internet Plans, it shows a monthly price of $29.95 but when I select Order Now, it shows a monthly price of $39.95.

How can I check service availability and how do I get the 25/10 plan for $29.95/month?
Newbie
Jul 8, 2017
6 posts
3 upvotes
ChrisC192488 wrote: FOR THOSE OF YOU WONDERING WHERE I'M LOCATED, I'M AT YONGE AND EGLINTON DOWNTOWN TORONTO.
I've been on the 75/10 plan for two weeks now. Speed is just as advertised, and so is the upload speed. the only problem I'm facing right now is the consistency of the internet. I'm not sure why this is h LGappening, but everytime I'm not on a device(ie phone or laptop or tv) the internet just disappears. My family and I use fongo(VoIp) right now, and all of us now are not able to receive any calls when we are not on the phone. So I called customer service, then got transfered to tech support. He didn't help me at all and explained to me that if the speed is fine, the whole internet service should be as well, which wasn't the case. I admitted the speed was awesome but if the signal isn't consistent, it's of no use. I don't know if he understood what I said, but he said I could talk to customer service for other options if i wanted because there was nothing he could do.

A day has passed since then, still cannot receive any calls over wifi, I'm very frustrated at this situation because i had to ditch my previous provider for this, just because im saving a couple bucks. I'm planning to set up again with my previous provider and cancel asap.

So my conclusion for cannet is, don't get this service in downtown toronto, as i cannot say anything about uptown or anywhere else. Speeds are good, price is awesome, but customer service and consistency of the internet is awful.
Try setting "Alternate Fongo Connection" in the Fongo app settings (Account>Settings) on your phone. I had a similar issue (couldn't receive incoming Voip calls unless using device, outbound ok) on Rogers Cable+wifi and this was the only thing that resolved it for me.

Could just be something weird with Fongo on the modem/wifi setup rather than Cannet if Fongo not connecting is the only issue.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2005
2535 posts
662 upvotes
Kanus wrote: I'm interested in the 25/10 plan. However when I input my postal code to verify service availability nothing happens. The other funny thing is that when I view Cable internet Plans, it shows a monthly price of $29.95 but when I select Order Now, it shows a monthly price of $39.95.

How can I check service availability and how do I get the 25/10 plan for $29.95/month?
The website check doesn't work. You can use chat or call in. If you are with Rogers or ISP that piggy backs off Rogers cable internet u r good. There is the cannet100 code to drop the price $10. I just called in for service, tech coming in this coming Sunday with modem.
Verified Rep
User avatar
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
redflagged2006 wrote: Did anyone else get a text like this?

Your order 800Xxxx has been rejected and required more information to process. Kindly call our customer care 4168002323. Regards, Cannettel Team

Called and they mentioned something about Rogers.. wasn't clear..
Please PM your account details and I will check your status :)
Verified Rep
User avatar
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
skywalker wrote: I had 30/5 cannet cable since Jan. 2017. It's been solid speed and reliable. Now I saw they have 25M/10M plan with 2X upload speed. Any chance I could switch to that plan? Switch fee I assume there is? Thanks.
To change speeds it's a one time fee of $25
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1569 posts
295 upvotes
Did the tool and came back with Cable packages... I guess I'm SOL. Gah!


DaveProductions wrote: Yes, however I have usually seen that most Ontario homes are Bell Fibre, it is unlikely you have Rogers fibre.

If you run your address through start's address qualification tool (https://www.start.ca/) and you still don't get cable, it is likely you are in a FTTH-only area.

Non Big 3 AKA GAS (DSL) or TPIA (Cable) will not have access to FTTH until ~2 years is my best guess.
Verified Rep
User avatar
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
redflagged2006 wrote: Did the tool and came back with Cable packages... I guess I'm SOL. Gah!
I checked your order, it has been submitted :) We will inform you once the ISP gives us confirmation, thank you for your patience.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7900 posts
1571 upvotes
sirLYZ wrote: I've had Cannet service for a few days now. Running speedtest, it is as advertised: 75M down 10M up. There is a problem that I notice though:

I had Rogers internet before, and when you first load a Youtube video, or run speedtest there is an initial 2 second speed burst. You see the Youtube video buffer fill up a lot in the first couple of seconds, or when you run speed test there is an initial burst of speed before settling down to the advertised speed.

The service from Cannet has an initial slow speed, then works it's way up to the advertised speed. I noticed this when running speed test, the speed initially is slow then ramps up. So what does this mean? When I watch Youtube videos, when the videos starts it doesn't get a lot of buffer, or sometimes it'll start off with 240p quality when I've set default to 720p. I would manually change the quality to 720p and everything's fine. This is going to get annoying.

@CanNetRFD is there something you can tweak with Rogers for this? Maybe a Quality of Service setting or something? I didn't bring it up with customer service because they seem to be people from India who I assume have no control over these things.
Pretty sure that's a specific rogers feature.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speedboostonbf
SpeedBoost™ is a new technology that detects when there's available bandwidth and automatically increases speed when you need it most1 turbocharging your streaming video, online gaming and downloading activities!
SpeedBoost™ detects when there is available bandwidth on the network and automatically provides a temporary burst of speed for the first 10 MB of a download or stream - so content loads faster.1
Newbie
Jan 8, 2016
35 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How long will this promotional price last?
And since they use Rogers' infrastructure, the speed and reliability will be the same as Rogers or any other provider right?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8125 posts
488 upvotes
stupidusername wrote: How long will this promotional price last?
And since they use Rogers' infrastructure, the speed and reliability will be the same as Rogers or any other provider right?
No, Rogers provide the last mile and the intermediate connection to the ISP. From that point on it is the ISP to the Internet.

Also an "issue" with third party ISP is, Rogers will only provide the minimum service mandated by CRTC - so if the mandate is "service call to be answered within 5 business day", they will wait till the 5th day where as their own custom will get service much faster.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Member
User avatar
Feb 12, 2007
335 posts
52 upvotes
redflagged2006 wrote: Did anyone else get a text like this?

Your order 800Xxxx has been rejected and required more information to process. Kindly call our customer care 4168002323. Regards, Cannettel Team

Called and they mentioned something about Rogers.. wasn't clear..
yeah got the same msg Friday eve, called back and was told there was something wrong with the system but the order should go through in 24 hours ....

let's see ...
Verified Rep
User avatar
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
wanderingcat wrote: yeah got the same msg Friday eve, called back and was told there was something wrong with the system but the order should go through in 24 hours ....

let's see ...
PM your account details I'll have it looked into for you as well :)
Sr. Member
Sep 19, 2012
503 posts
266 upvotes
Kitchener
Can I switch from Teksavvy and still use my Hitron CDA3 (I purchased it outright)?

I don't like the $99 activation fee though.
Verified Rep
User avatar
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
Tumdace wrote: Can I switch from Teksavvy and still use my Hitron CDA3 (I purchased it outright)?

I don't like the $99 activation fee though.
Yes you can, the activation fee is $29.95 :)

Top