Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1186 posts
500 upvotes
Canada
sentinels19 wrote: Cannet is the biggest scam. I am paying for 75 mbps plan but always notice at night when I stream it gets very laggy. When I check Speednet I see that it is consistently at 50 mbps or above which puzzled me but when I check on Fast.com it is around 2 mbps. During the day today Fast.com was at over 70 mbps for me but night time is when it goes to shit. Cancelling my plan ASAP once my new provider sends me their modem.
Let us know if your connection improves with the new provider.
Oct 16, 2007
634 posts
551 upvotes
Montr
sentinels19 wrote: Cannet is the biggest scam. I am paying for 75 mbps plan but always notice at night when I stream it gets very laggy. When I check Speednet I see that it is consistently at 50 mbps or above which puzzled me but when I check on Fast.com it is around 2 mbps. During the day today Fast.com was at over 70 mbps for me but night time is when it goes to shit. Cancelling my plan ASAP once my new provider sends me their modem.
Unfortunately, this is true. For the past year i thought NHL live and other sites were to blamed for the bad quality. I tried speedtest and everything was fine and I couldn't figure it out until i read it on Reddit and the VPN test! They are really throttling or limiting your internet speed no matter what they say! I'm too cancelling my plan this week and hope the truth comes out. Don't be fooled with the speedtest

https://www.reddit.com/r/askTO/comments ... k_telecom/
Oct 7, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
So after switching to Fido for their 150 plan, I see speeds up to 300 during the day but during prime time around 7 to 9 pm, the speed sometimes drops to around 20, which is acceptable. Before with Cannet I would see 2 mbps for most of the night sometimes until midnight. The worst thing is being honest, if you are going to throttle due to load issues don't try to hide it by not throttling Speedtest, let the true speed show up. Pretty obvious when you are streaming and it lags every 5 seconds.
Last edited by sentinels19 on Jan 19th, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 24, 2006
299 posts
20 upvotes
Ontario
I've switched to fido 150 and get 300 at all times of day.
Was on cannet 150 and only got that speed until exactly 6pm when the throttling kicked in which occurs until 1am est.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1186 posts
500 upvotes
Canada
sentinels19 wrote: So after switching to Fido for their 150 plan, I see speeds up to 300 during the day but during prime time around 7 to 9 pm, I do the speed sometimes dropping to around 20, which is acceptable. Before with Cannet I would see 2 mbps for most of the night sometimes until midnight. The worst thing is being honest, if you are going to throttle due to load issues don't try to hide it by not throttling Speedtest, let the true speed show up. Pretty obvious when you are streaming and it lags every 5 seconds.
Throttling certainly adds misery to a congested neighbour like yours. Does anybody have no slowdown with Fido during primetime?
Mar 5, 2007
181 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
It’s weird, because I’m on Rogers 500mbps cable internet and it feels like I am being throttled at night too... wtf? Rogers doesn’t throttle do they?

Fwiw, when I use my cell phone to test speed on speedtest, I’m hitting 300mbps easy, but on my computer, laptop and tablet, it seems to always be on less than 50mbps. What gives?