Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Aug 31, 2009
140 posts
70 upvotes
toronto
Got my install done today, it was quick. rogers tech, just plugged in, registered the line. I waited 10 mins, plugged in the new modem and it was up 300mbps!
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
943 posts
114 upvotes
vodka wrote: First, thank you for the information. I have decided though, that Vmedia is a better deal for several reasons.
I think in competitive situations it helps to understand such things (I work in sales, I win and lose deals, ideally I'd like to win all deals, but it's not possible, however knowing why I lost helps me on the next one).
(you may or may not take this as feedback)

1. Speed wise, Vmedia offers 120/20 on their package, so slightly better, in particular the upload speed.
2. Price wise, over 1 year, Vmedia comes a bit more expensive, however (I've looked at the cost over 12 months):
i)Their speed is better; I'm not going to bother breaking that down to the cents, etc, but it's worth a few more dollars for the extra speed.
ii) Someone gave me a referral code to use for Vmedia, which is $25 off, which makes the price come down more (which I appreciate). ** What's interesting here is that Cannet also has a referral program but noone mentioned this, since both parties would benefit (maybe it was mentioned, it's 160 pages in this thread...)
iii) Vmedia includes IP TV for 1/2/6 (depending on channel package selection) months for free as part of the package; this part appeals to me, for the extra few dollars difference.
3. Cannet website only shows "Fibre Internet", nothing about cable, etc. Why is that the case? Is this a new offering for Montreal, and no one has the time to add it to the website? What is I was not on RFD, how would I know about it?
4. Lastly, it's unfortunate that I can't use my own modem; personally this is a hassle. I have a Thompson DCM475 which is standard issue Docsis 3.0 modem, I've used it with Altima without any problem, and would work just fine. Cannet has they own policy, not to support that, and I get why ISPs do this. I can use it for Vmedia, they allow it.

Cheers
No problem. Thank you very much for your feedback. Feedback on forums such as RFD is really useful to us, with feedback like this we can collect it and show it to our management how we can improve upon our plans and policies. As for our website, currently we are working on it and hopefully we can show more plans soon.
Maybe you will sign up with us in the future :)

And yes we do have referral program in which exisiting customer can earn $20 credit for every customer they refer
Mar 21, 2009
242 posts
178 upvotes
Hamilton
I don't mean t o thread jack here. But I tried to sign up with Cannet for a 120/10 plan recently on a cogeco backbone. I signed up and for 24 hours everthing was good, then I got an email saying my order was cancelled because I didnt provide sufficient information. So I called up and apparently because I was missing a cancellation number from my current provider they couldn't hook up the service. No problem they said, a Cogeco tech would come out and run a second line. Of course I would have to be there for this. I grudgingly agreed. 2 days later I get an email saying my order was cancelled for not having enough information. I called and they said I didnt have a cancellation number from my current provider. So after talking to my provider, who said they don't have such a thing, I called Cannet back. They said, "no problem" as long as my provider said they would disconnect, it wouldn't be a problem, no cogeco tech needed. Two days later I get and email, saying my order had been cancelled....you can see where this is going. At this point I lost my patience and I cancelled my order. I have don't care who is on the end of the phone, if they resolve my problem, I have no issue. I don't blame the service/sales people in this situation. Cannet's abililty (in my opinion) to service their customers is severely lacking. They have no idea what their automated systems are doing, or how to resolve issues for their customers when those systems go wrong. It was frustrating, infuriating and frankly massively disappointing. I went back to my provider with local reps and high quality customer service. I realize I am probably the anomaly here, but damn what a bullshit experience this was. If the Cannet account sees this I hope you realize your internal systems are more of a detriment to you than your offshore CS people are...
Mar 11, 2019
298 posts
176 upvotes
EK75 wrote: I don't mean t o thread jack here. But I tried to sign up with Cannet for a 120/10 plan recently on a cogeco backbone. I signed up and for 24 hours everthing was good, then I got an email saying my order was cancelled because I didnt provide sufficient information. So I called up and apparently because I was missing a cancellation number from my current provider they couldn't hook up the service. No problem they said, a Cogeco tech would come out and run a second line. Of course I would have to be there for this. I grudgingly agreed. 2 days later I get an email saying my order was cancelled for not having enough information. I called and they said I didnt have a cancellation number from my current provider. So after talking to my provider, who said they don't have such a thing, I called Cannet back. They said, "no problem" as long as my provider said they would disconnect, it wouldn't be a problem, no cogeco tech needed. Two days later I get and email, saying my order had been cancelled....you can see where this is going. At this point I lost my patience and I cancelled my order. I have don't care who is on the end of the phone, if they resolve my problem, I have no issue. I don't blame the service/sales people in this situation. Cannet's abililty (in my opinion) to service their customers is severely lacking. They have no idea what their automated systems are doing, or how to resolve issues for their customers when those systems go wrong. It was frustrating, infuriating and frankly massively disappointing. I went back to my provider with local reps and high quality customer service. I realize I am probably the anomaly here, but damn what a bullshit experience this was. If the Cannet account sees this I hope you realize your internal systems are more of a detriment to you than your offshore CS people are...
I had exactly this problem with other providers when trying to switch two times, always cancel with your current provider and keep calling them back until they give you the cancellation confirmation number and exact date then give that to the new provider you are signing up with. I dont know for sure why this happens but I suspect your old provider did not cancel your service as thats what distributel did to me one time. A second time I had to harasses a different provider to give me this number. Without the number the new provider cant transfer your service. I suspect some do this to retain your service or its some kind of breakdown with Cogeco / Rogers but I dont know.

When I switched to Cannet I gave them the number and date and it was done perfectly.
Mar 21, 2009
242 posts
178 upvotes
Hamilton
Even if that was the case, I told cannet this.. even so they kept emailing me and calling me telling me they were cancelling my order. It didn't matter how many notes they put on my order they just kept calling me. I finally had enough with being bothered by their incompetence.
Mar 11, 2019
298 posts
176 upvotes
EK75 wrote: Even if that was the case, I told cannet this.. even so they kept emailing me and calling me telling me they were cancelling my order. It didn't matter how many notes they put on my order they just kept calling me. I finally had enough with being bothered by their incompetence.
Your old provider likely didn't cancel your service, you should be complaining that they didn't give you the cancellation number, and retained your business.
Jul 2, 2018
9 posts
19 upvotes
After extensive testing I am deciding to cancel the subscription I got from Cannet last week and moving back to Fido.
The speed I signed up for was 300 Mbs and the best I am getting is 60 on speed test and 320 on speedtest.canntel.com Prime and YouTube buffering screens (was the deal breaker for me) and the highest download speed on my dedicated server in NL (with 1 Gbps) was 18MB /s (or about 160 mb/s)

With Fido, my 75mb connection would result in : about 80 on speedtest.net, 11MB/s from my private server and no buffering issues on any provider including my own when I would stream a 4K movie from NL (10GB file size, 2 1/2 hour movie).

My setup is Modem => Router => Switch => All wired connection (Media Center) & Testing with my laptop with wired connection. I still have my Fido service active as in I set the cancellation date on the 8th day from the Installation date of Cannet in case I had to switch back. For the purposes of testing, every environmental variable was consistent.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I may have been one of the few who ended up drawing the shorter straw.

Thank you for reading!
Jun 22, 2004
364 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
xneoenx wrote: After extensive testing I am deciding to cancel the subscription I got from Cannet last week and moving back to Fido.
The speed I signed up for was 300 Mbs and the best I am getting is 60 on speed test and 320 on speedtest.canntel.com Prime and YouTube buffering screens (was the deal breaker for me) and the highest download speed on my dedicated server in NL (with 1 Gbps) was 18MB /s (or about 160 mb/s)

With Fido, my 75mb connection would result in : about 80 on speedtest.net, 11MB/s from my private server and no buffering issues on any provider including my own when I would stream a 4K movie from NL (10GB file size, 2 1/2 hour movie).

My setup is Modem => Router => Switch => All wired connection (Media Center) & Testing with my laptop with wired connection. I still have my Fido service active as in I set the cancellation date on the 8th day from the Installation date of Cannet in case I had to switch back. For the purposes of testing, every environmental variable was consistent.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I may have been one of the few who ended up drawing the shorter straw.

Thank you for reading!
@xneoenx, I experienced the same below advertised speeds during my first day of use last evening and this morning. 60mbps actual vs. 300mbps advertised download measured by speedtest.net and fast.com with my laptop wired directly to the router. Disappointing. I'm going to call tech support today to give them a chance to fix it, but going to cancel if they can't.

Will we be able to get our installation fee and service fee fully refunded? At this point, I feel tricked by this company offering a subpar service.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2231 posts
658 upvotes
I never asked nor did I see if the 300mb package was available in Montreal. Is it?

Just curious.
Oct 4, 2017
229 posts
75 upvotes
xneoenx wrote: The speed I signed up for was 300 Mbs and the best I am getting is 60 on speed test and 320 on speedtest.canntel.com Prime and YouTube buffering screens (was the deal breaker for me)
I'm not surprised at all you're getting the buffering. I'm with CIK and they do something called traffic shaping(or throttling) and I essentially get buffering for streaming like YouTube and Twitch during the evenings from 6pm to midnight. Sometimes I can get around this by using a VPN but most times I'm stuck. CIK is also the backbone for Cannet and CarryTel so every customer there also suffers.
Jul 2, 2018
9 posts
19 upvotes
@mc9180 Well, they gave me the run around for a few days and also shipped a new modem, for which I agreed, but on Friday - Sun as @CorporalJenky mentions the traffic shaping / throttling took effect. I was getting less than 10 Mb/s. Less than 5% of the upto speeds (sporadically between those times). So I dont think the issue could be with the modem if in the morning I get 200 Mb/s - 300 Mb/s and in the evening I am getting ~10 Mb/s. After requesting for cancellation and being told that Tech Support will call me, and then being told that Cancellation request has been accepted and the cancellation team will call me back, the final email told me that they dont do cancellations over email and I need to call in to cancel. Sigh.

When I called them the rep mentioned he was going to refund the monthly charge, but will not be refunding the processing charges. I read the ToS which states that all charges and fees will be waived if Cus is not happy in the first 10 days. He said those don't apply. So I said, since there is a conflict between Cannet and myself, I will submit everything I have to CCTS and let them decide. For which the rep mentioned that he will have a manager call me in the AM, and if the manager doesnt call, I will have to call them back.

My response to that was, regardless of who calls who, I will submit a complaint to the CCTS as this is misleading the customer on 2 fronts. 1) If there is throttling in place, this should be disclosed up front to the consumer per CCRTC. 2) Bait / Switch / Redirect per TOS.

Since I have all the speed tests and the logs I collected over the weekend where there was consistent speed drops over the specific time periods, I dont think its going to be hard to for anyone to see whats going on. And if they dont, It was an expensive lesson :)
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33051 posts
3468 upvotes
Winnipeg
mc9180 wrote: @xneoenx, I experienced the same below advertised speeds during my first day of use last evening and this morning. 60mbps actual vs. 300mbps advertised download measured by speedtest.net and fast.com with my laptop wired directly to the router. Disappointing. I'm going to call tech support today to give them a chance to fix it, but going to cancel if they can't.

Will we be able to get our installation fee and service fee fully refunded? At this point, I feel tricked by this company offering a subpar service.
60mbit actual? wow, that is bad. i posted 260mbit actual with 300mbit cancom and people were saying that is false advertisement.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2231 posts
658 upvotes
@CanNetRFD It would be great to get your take on the latest round of posts, and in particular the issue of throttling which I asked about and you publically responded that it doesn't take place, yet there it is.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
943 posts
114 upvotes
vodka wrote: I never asked nor did I see if the 300mb package was available in Montreal. Is it?

Just curious.
In Montreal the highest speed we have available for now is 120Mbps.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)