Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3327 posts
1356 upvotes
Trying to download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft - 700Kb/s. Ridiculous. Like with Xbox, I then flip over to VPN and get 3-7 MB/s. It's obvious that a number of traffic types involving (including but likely not limited to) various Microsoft services are being interfered with.

@CanNetRFD - I think you really need to ask management own up to this. I'm really tired of this problem and I dislike the dishonesty of the statements being made wrt shaping/throttling. I don't care if CanNet does/doesn't throttle as it is clear that somewhere between your clients and various services, throttling does occur. If it isn't CanNet, you need to take up the sword and complain on our behalf to whoever is upstream from you. I have discussed this multiple times with your "techs" and they are either clueless or malicious in denying that this is taking place. All I ever get is the run-around. Many of us have described this issue and it is extremely simple to reproduce. I would like to see this put to bed once and for all and I think it would be a good idea to address this honestly and accurately in this thread so that it has full visibility.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2231 posts
658 upvotes
For those of you where throttling occurs, whatnisnthe piggyback ISP infrastructure? I'm just curious, I will never get Cannet service with this outright lying from them, but I wonder if it's certain upstream ISP issue or the experience is across the board...
Dec 6, 2015
61 posts
4 upvotes
Any way to salvage this crapnet plan or should I just look into switching to another ISP?
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
943 posts
114 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Trying to download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft - 700Kb/s. Ridiculous. Like with Xbox, I then flip over to VPN and get 3-7 MB/s. It's obvious that a number of traffic types involving (including but likely not limited to) various Microsoft services are being interfered with.

@CanNetRFD - I think you really need to ask management own up to this. I'm really tired of this problem and I dislike the dishonesty of the statements being made wrt shaping/throttling. I don't care if CanNet does/doesn't throttle as it is clear that somewhere between your clients and various services, throttling does occur. If it isn't CanNet, you need to take up the sword and complain on our behalf to whoever is upstream from you. I have discussed this multiple times with your "techs" and they are either clueless or malicious in denying that this is taking place. All I ever get is the run-around. Many of us have described this issue and it is extremely simple to reproduce. I would like to see this put to bed once and for all and I think it would be a good idea to address this honestly and accurately in this thread so that it has full visibility.
I do bring all these issues up to management. If you want to bring up this issues directly from a customer's perspective you can reach out to our CEO at jordan@cannettel.com, who will read your issues and get back to you about it.
Mar 8, 2015
59 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
txenglan wrote: Trying to download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft - 700Kb/s. Ridiculous. Like with Xbox, I then flip over to VPN and get 3-7 MB/s. It's obvious that a number of traffic types involving (including but likely not limited to) various Microsoft services are being interfered with.

I've tried a few times and yeah you pretty much just get a runaround of 'but speedtest.net shows good speed!' etc. In the evenings past 8-9pm it's getting down to single megabit speed, price is good but this is getting silly.
Mar 11, 2019
297 posts
176 upvotes
tvfan2014 wrote: I've tried a few times and yeah you pretty much just get a runaround of 'but speedtest.net shows good speed!' etc. In the evenings past 8-9pm it's getting down to single megabit speed, price is good but this is getting silly.
I agree, Im experiencing the same, in the evenings its way down.
Mar 8, 2015
59 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
jintau wrote: I agree, Im experiencing the same, in the evenings its way down.
The most annoying is their staff making up excuses that they can't guarantee speeds to external sites etc... which is kinda fair, but when your family/friends can stream from these just fine and you're stuck going at couple megabits (most definitely *not* megabytes)/sec, it's frustrating, to say the least.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3327 posts
1356 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: I do bring all these issues up to management. If you want to bring up this issues directly from a customer's perspective you can reach out to our CEO at jordan@cannettel.com, who will read your issues and get back to you about it.
Thanks. I might send the CEO a message then as I've already given up dealing the the front line support techs. They don't have the knowledge nor care/passion to address these types of problems. I will add that given the defensive and seemingly almost indignant language used on CanNet's website about the active efforts by competitors to discredit CanNet (particularly so about throttling), it would seem logical that any complaints about throttling should automatically float to the top of the support queue such that senior management has full visibility on what's going on. What if - for arguments sake - an upstream entity is purposely messing with CanNet's traffic unbeknownst to CanNet? The only way to identify this is to correlate patterns of "complaint" that indicate an unexplained trend. On one of the occasions I spoke to a support rep about the Xbox downloads throttling, he insisted i run a speedtest while hooked directly into the modem (which was already moot since this was one of the first tests I'd done). I did it anyway and the test yielded extremely poor results which he fixated on (around 20-30 Mbps down). This was incredibly ironic (and annoying) because the overall bandwidth wasn't the issue although it was evidently a problem at the time he made me do the test. Try as I might, he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that my overall bandwidth wasn't usually so bad and that I was only concerned about the Xbox downloads being limited when all other traffic was within say 20% of max upload/download. The bottom line is the techs have no idea how to troubleshoot problems other than temporarily simplifying the service access point (plugging directly into the modem) to run a speedtest. Anything beyond that is completely off script for them.
Jan 15, 2017
4 posts
Clarington
I've had CanNet 300/20 installed on Sept 28th and have experienced everything I'm reading about since day one. With-in hours of having it installed I noticed a drastic decrease in my speed to the point where the internet was unusable. I thought I must be crazy, I've never experienced throttling this severe, ever. I can clearly see I'm going to have to go back to my previous ISP or find a better one than CanNet. This has been a complete disappointment and disruption to my family.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2465 posts
1783 upvotes
Switched near end of September and it's been pretty good

Attached are screenshots from Xbox speed test around 7 tonight on wifi and another speed test from my phone at 8
IMG_20191011_191404.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-201549_Speedtest.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3327 posts
1356 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Switched near end of September and it's been pretty good

Attached are screenshots from Xbox speed test around 7 tonight on wifi and another speed test from my phone at 8
IMG_20191011_191404.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-201549_Speedtest.jpg
Interesting. Thanks for posting those results - in particular the Xbox test results. Is this on the Rogers backbone?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2465 posts
1783 upvotes
txenglan wrote: Interesting. Thanks for posting those results - in particular the Xbox test results. Is this on the Rogers backbone?
Yes Rogers cable area
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3327 posts
1356 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Yes Rogers cable area
The plot thickens. It seems some of us are getting throttled and others aren't.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)