Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Sep 10, 2017
20 posts
21 upvotes
I have had a pretty good year with them but things have been increasingly terrible the last 4 or so months.

I have troubleshot the absolute balls out of everything - hard reset modem, wire direct to modem, ensure my router isn't the issue, multiple devices used to test, etc.

Speed varies wildly. Reddit is horrible to load (dial up throwbacks every night).

Have reached out to tech support multiple times. The occasions that they have called me, I've been at work and asked for a specific call back time. They haven't once called at the right time. This is starting to impact my wife and I's ability to stream separate shows at the same time.....so now Cannet is threatening my marriage!!! :)

I'm done. Rogers door knocked me last night with 500gb for 49.99 guaranteed for 12 months....

I'll prepare myself for their 'hold music' instead.
So I took the randomly assigned username when I signed up. Never thought this would be my favorite website!!
Nov 12, 2013
29 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
User161697 wrote: I have had a pretty good year with them but things have been increasingly terrible the last 4 or so months.

I have troubleshot the absolute balls out of everything - hard reset modem, wire direct to modem, ensure my router isn't the issue, multiple devices used to test, etc.

Speed varies wildly. Reddit is horrible to load (dial up throwbacks every night).

Have reached out to tech support multiple times. The occasions that they have called me, I've been at work and asked for a specific call back time. They haven't once called at the right time. This is starting to impact my wife and I's ability to stream separate shows at the same time.....so now Cannet is threatening my marriage!!! :)

I'm done. Rogers door knocked me last night with 500gb for 49.99 guaranteed for 12 months....

I'll prepare myself for their 'hold music' instead.
YMMV but I was able to get gigabit internet for $60/month (promo for a year) through live chat.
Sep 10, 2017
20 posts
21 upvotes
keinooj wrote: YMMV but I was able to get gigabit internet for $60/month (promo for a year) through live chat.
Actually they offered the gigabit for 54.99, I just wasn't sure I needed that much more speed for the extra $5.......
So I took the randomly assigned username when I signed up. Never thought this would be my favorite website!!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1987 posts
781 upvotes
Montreal
Nightly throttled at <10m, since last week.
I'm on a150 plan.

Oct 10, 2008
11 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Here is my personal experience. For those having speed issues with CanNet (for home internet) I strongly suggest you PM CanNetRFD.

I was at my wits end until I stumbled across this thread and decided to PM CanNetRFD. He responded quickly to my message, CanNet quickly addressed and resolved my speed issue, and a tech / support worker called me within a day to check/follow up. I could not be happier with their service and I'm posting this because I feel like they're getting a bit of a bad rap.

Thanks CanNetRFD for helping to get my internet back to up speed so quickly Thumbs Up Sign
Sep 8, 2011
149 posts
87 upvotes
Quebec
Hi, i just called last friday to get the 100 MB cable plan. I am in montreal on videotron network, and sale guy from cannet says the price is 39.98 $ per month. ? Can you confirm it is 34.98 $ please ? i would like to get that pricing (and so other RFD people would know as well). thanks
Sep 8, 2011
149 posts
87 upvotes
Quebec
CanNetRFD wrote: Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. At the moment we have only a 100M plan for $34.98/m for 2 years for people living in Videotron area. No contract, Modem and router included. There is a one-time processing fee of $59.95

Yes we still have 30 day satisfaction guarantee but the processing fee will not be refunded.
Hi, i just called last friday to get the 100 MB cable plan. I am in montreal on videotron network, and sale guy from cannet says the price is 39.98 $ per month. ? Can you confirm it is 34.98 $ please ? i would like to get that pricing (and so other RFD people would know as well). thanks
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
943 posts
114 upvotes
Claudios wrote: Hi, i just called last friday to get the 100 MB cable plan. I am in montreal on videotron network, and sale guy from cannet says the price is 39.98 $ per month. ? Can you confirm it is 34.98 $ please ? i would like to get that pricing (and so other RFD people would know as well). thanks
Thanks for reaching out to me. We had a price change for the 100M cable plan on the Videotron network and it has been changed to $39.98/m on Nov 15th. We can make an exception for you since we communicated before Nov 15 to you that the price was $34.98/m

For new customers, unfortunately we have a price increase for 100M plan, $39.98/m

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Sep 8, 2011
149 posts
87 upvotes
Quebec
CanNetRFD wrote: Thanks for reaching out to me. We had a price change for the 100M cable plan on the Videotron network and it has been changed to $39.98/m on Nov 15th. We can make an exception for you since we communicated before Nov 15 to you that the price was $34.98/m

For new customers, unfortunately we have a price increase for 100M plan, $39.98/m

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Thank you CanNetRFD to honor this pricing for me its appreciated and very good customer service. !
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1405 posts
286 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Just an update on two sites that were not loading or being blocked (see post 2515 and 2519). The first was Simons.ca. It now loads correctly with no errors. The other was http://internethealthtest.org. It still gives errors when I try to run it, but it also gives the same timeout errors when I load it with my cell phone on Rogers network, so it appears this is a problem with the actual web site and not on Cannet's end.
Public Mobile $13/month
Fido 3GB data only plan
Jul 28, 2018
50 posts
55 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: Thanks for reaching out to me. We had a price change for the 100M cable plan on the Videotron network and it has been changed to $39.98/m on Nov 15th. We can make an exception for you since we communicated before Nov 15 to you that the price was $34.98/m

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Hi CannetRFD. My neighbourhood (city of kamloops), offers Fibre and I was trying to get answers regarding whether or not you guys would provide service (50Mb plan for the smoking price of $15). Apparently not, and your 60Mb plan price has now been increased... I had no idea it would change so quickly, can you offer me $25 pricing? Ill sign my dad up too and you will get two accounts. Thanks.
Apr 20, 2014
31 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm done with this. It's been unbearable the last couple of weeks. Like others have mentioned, evening prime time throttling big time. Wasn't happening the first month, but now a couple of months in it is a daily occurrence.

I took the advice here and contacted CanNetRFD who was very quick and helpful in getting tech support to contact me. I just spoke with them over the phone and they had absolutely no solutions to offer me. All they could tell me was that the account was using a lot of bandwidth and that causes congestion that can't clear itself, When you are restoring multiple computers from images stored in the cloud it uses a lot of data. So does streaming a bloody movie in 4K! yadda yadda BS. Not an acceptable reason why it was happening and offered no way to rectify it.

The same lines to our house have provided excellent service from cogeco, start.ca, and carrytel. All unlimited. None throttled. The switch to CanNet is when our internet service began to no longer be consistent. All were 120/10 service plans.

I can't continue with unreliable service every evening at the same times and be told it's not being throttled.

So, since I am not able to get the service that was advertised, I will be actively looking for a new ISP as soon as possible and won't be continuing with CanNet.

I should have remained with Carrytel :(

Some speed tests done at 8pm one after another:

Image Image

And with their speedtest right after that ..... hmmmmmm magic:

Image Image
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2231 posts
658 upvotes
@BLoblaw did you post that picture so large to get your point across?

Fast.com is garbage, please use ANY other speed test website except for that.
Nov 9, 2013
2 posts
4 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I have been using Cannet for about 2 years. My experience was not bad until I found they are throttling.

It is pretty easy to prove Cannet is throttling bandwidth at peek time (usually 5-6PM to 12AM).
google_report.png
This is google's streaming quality report and it says Cannot (150M down/15M) is just SD quality not HD.

As you can see, in the peek time between 5PM and12AM streaming quality is dropped to SD quality. Google report shows "average" streaming quality of Cannet in Stouffville, so it is not just my case.

My case is even much worse than average recently. I guess they mistakenly throttled my bandwidth to much, so I noticed it. If they capped my bandwidth from 150M to 100M or 75M, then I would not notice it.
Screenshot_20191118-224605_Google Wifi.jpg
This is internet speed measured by Google wifi router. Google wifi can measures directly internet speed between google wifi router and google server which will be pure internet speed provided by ISP.

Unfortunately it does not show time, but when I measured speed at peek time, speed is 7.5M for down; otherwise, 150M.

For someone who wants to detect ISP throttling, I would recommend "Wehe" app. This app produces streaming data traffic twice; one is original and another is randomized data. If there is ISP throttling, speed of two traffic would be different.

Let's see my case below and it shows the difference which proves ISP throttling exists.
Screenshot_20191118-225225_Wehe.jpg
The most funny thing is speed is always 150M in Speedtest.net. I guess they white-listed Speedtest.net.
Last edited by gundox on Nov 19th, 2019 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)