Just did speedtest on cannet in Markham
Images
  • Screenshot_20200522-232803_Speedtest.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200522-232751_Chrome.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2783 posts
2043 upvotes
tvfan2014 wrote: Anybody seeing a significant drop in speeds late in the evening i.e. around 11:15pm or so? seems to have happened to me a few times in the last week or so. Weird cause you'd think most people would be going to bed by then...
Where are you? Usually the congestion is from around 7pm-11pm but that's my entire area regardless of provider .. I just ran speed test and get advertised speeds on both fast.com and speedtest app
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1403 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Just did speedtest on cannet in Markham
Is that speed mostly consistent? What modem did they provide you with?
Sep 24, 2019
15 posts
1 upvote
So i've been with Cannet which buys from CIKTEL for about a year. Currently it seems they traffic shape from 9am to Midnight. Only with use of VPN service am I able to get any stable speeds. I can't video call, nor can I watch youtube, netflix, amazon, or plex. Nor can I upload or download fast at all.
As soon as VPN is turned on, streaming is available and quick, and I am able to upload and download from Google Drive quite fast.

Definitely sucks
Feb 4, 2018
22 posts
11 upvotes
gimmedacash wrote: So i've been with Cannet which buys from CIKTEL for about a year. Currently it seems they traffic shape from 9am to Midnight. Only with use of VPN service am I able to get any stable speeds. I can't video call, nor can I watch youtube, netflix, amazon, or plex. Nor can I upload or download fast at all.
As soon as VPN is turned on, streaming is available and quick, and I am able to upload and download from Google Drive quite fast.

Definitely sucks
9 AM to midnight? Or did you mean 9 PM?
I've been thinking about signing up since my current promo expires soon but I might have to rethink this.
Sep 24, 2019
15 posts
1 upvote
aghuman01 wrote: 9 AM to midnight? Or did you mean 9 PM?
I've been thinking about signing up since my current promo expires soon but I might have to rethink this.
Currently it's 9AM to Midnight. Really regretting it. Called in a bunch and they never have good support. They basically seem to reset it for a day and next day it's useless. I have two consoles so my wife and I can play some video games together and we run into so much lag, it almost is unplayable. Downloads of video games from xbox takes several hours to complete 1-2 gigs. As soon as 12am hits, back to 250mbps downloads on the same game. I mainly have to download games or updates at midnight.. Or anything for that matter. I do majority of my work now after 12AM cause it's so painfully slow in the day.
Edit Adding, more but I really do regret getting this internet and am basically stuck with it right now because my building only has Bell and Rogers and they are offering 300mbps for triple the price.
Mar 8, 2015
59 posts
16 upvotes
North York, ON
StatsGuy wrote: Where are you? Usually the congestion is from around 7pm-11pm but that's my entire area regardless of provider .. I just ran speed test and get advertised speeds on both fast.com and speedtest app
Toronto north, that's what's weird about this, I'd think after 10-11pm it'd go back up... most of the day is pretty good so I guess it's bearable, for now.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2783 posts
2043 upvotes
penguindude wrote: Is that speed mostly consistent? What modem did they provide you with?
I think it does slow down a bit around 7pm-10pm? But not really a big deal as I can still stream and surf and game as normal

I got a CDA 3 modem and speed tests are on wifi on my orbi mesh.

This is 1030pm tonight pretty similar to ytd at 1130?

Very happy for $29.99 a mth!
Images
  • Screenshot_20200525-222828_Chrome.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200525-222833_Speedtest.jpg
Feb 4, 2018
22 posts
11 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: I think it does slow down a bit around 7pm-10pm? But not really a big deal as I can still stream and surf and game as normal

I got a CDA 3 modem and speed tests are on wifi on my orbi mesh.

This is 1030pm tonight pretty similar to ytd at 1130?

Very happy for $29.99 a mth!
Are you on fibre or cable for those kinds of speeds at 29.99?
Sep 24, 2019
15 posts
1 upvote
aghuman01 wrote: Are you on fibre or cable for those kinds of speeds at 29.99?
It's been said before in another forum, but if you are with Cannet for Cable, you are actually getting it from CIKTEL as noted in the info from Ookla by Statsguy. Ciktel does throttle. "CIK set traffic restriction for non-real time program such as BitTorrent just in peak hour ( 6:45pm to 10:45pm) in QC and rest of cities in Ontario. " https://www.ciktel.com/TechSupport/Internet
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
946 posts
115 upvotes
testzzz wrote: No RFD specific deals other than what's offered on website? @CanNetRFD
Unfortunately there are no other special offers at the moment. A lot of smaller ISPs are struggling, as some of you might know because the wholesale rates have not been favorable at all. We are lucky that we have been able to keep all our employees staffed through this pandemic. I also believe that our prices are really reasonable at this moment.

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Jan 14, 2014
122 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
CanNetRFD wrote: Unfortunately there are no other special offers at the moment. A lot of smaller ISPs are struggling, as some of you might know because the wholesale rates have not been favorable at all. We are lucky that we have been able to keep all our employees staffed through this pandemic. I also believe that our prices are really reasonable at this moment.

Kind regards,

CanNetRFD
Totally fair, thanks for getting back.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2425 posts
136 upvotes
What is the condition to get back the "Service Deposit $50"?
What do I lose if cancel after 3 month?
I'm with Rogers, how long to get the service once I sign up? I assume just swap the Rogers modem with the Cannet modem?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)