Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Sep 19, 2008
854 posts
777 upvotes
JoltC97635 wrote: They throttle everything except the top three Google results for "speed test". I monitored the connection speed for a full day of heavy browsing and video conferencing -- and when I looked at the graph, the speed never once exceeded 8Mbit/s ... except when I visited the Ookla speed test, when it magically jumped to 150.

Such a scam lol. Kudos to you CanNet Face With Tears Of Joy
These guys have been throttling like crazy on everything except Ookla speed test of course. I can't even load a Imgur gifv without buffering 90% of the time. Netflix is constantly pixelated at the start and I can't even stream any 4k movies on Netflix or YouTube.

This is just a complete scam I am actually so mad I defended them in the past when people said they throttle, and I pointed to my speed test.

This is my Netflix speed at 3.8bmps. But when I run a speed test its magically 100. DO NOT SWITCH TO THESE SCAMMERS!!

Sep 19, 2008
854 posts
777 upvotes
This is how long it takes to load a image on Cannet right now.
And I'm right next to my AC1750 router

Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34469 posts
4031 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tha DraGun wrote: I'm getting annoyed with Cannet too. Buffering like crazy even tho speed tests are fine.
So what's the best service without paying an arm and a leg?
Start.ca:
Never tried start.ca but cancom is pretty good, the speed usually reaches about 80% of their advertised speed. So say you buy their 100mbit service, you should speed test > 80mbit. It is just that they route everything through Vancouver so the lancenty is annoying at 80ms. Not sure if there is a 3rd party ISP seller that will provide the same level of service as the 1st tier ISP such as Rogers, Bell, Shaw, Telus.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4719 posts
1547 upvotes
Kingston
divx wrote: Never tried start.ca but cancom is pretty good, the speed usually reaches about 80% of their advertised speed. So say you buy their 100mbit service, you should speed test > 80mbit. It is just that they route everything through Vancouver so the lancenty is annoying at 80ms. Not sure if there is a 3rd party ISP seller that will provide the same level of service as the 1st tier ISP such as Rogers, Bell, Shaw, Telus.
I ended up getting Bell Crying Face
Fibre 500mbps. Great speed, shitty wifi router, but I'll figure something out to fix that. Sooooooo much better than cannet.

I was with cannet for a couple yrs and never had a problem before. Seems like they started throttling since covid
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34469 posts
4031 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tha DraGun wrote: I ended up getting Bell Crying Face
Fibre 500mbps. Great speed, shitty wifi router, but I'll figure something out to fix that. Sooooooo much better than cannet.
I was with cannet for a couple yrs and never had a problem before. Seems like they started throttling since covid
Sounds like they were over subscribed and didn't became an issue until more people started working from home.
Aug 3, 2017
595 posts
411 upvotes
I'm in the process of canceling now as well. It basically is unusable for anything other than internet browsing after 6:30pm each night. When I call to complain they seem to turn it up for a day or two.
Sep 19, 2008
854 posts
777 upvotes
cbr600 wrote: These guys have been throttling like crazy on everything except Ookla speed test of course. I can't even load a Imgur gifv without buffering 90% of the time. Netflix is constantly pixelated at the start and I can't even stream any 4k movies on Netflix or YouTube.

This is just a complete scam I am actually so mad I defended them in the past when people said they throttle, and I pointed to my speed test.

This is my Netflix speed at 3.8bmps. But when I run a speed test its magically 100. DO NOT SWITCH TO THESE SCAMMERS!!

I just switched to CAN-COM internet 75 and the picture below is my test result at 10pm (compared to Can-net picture above). It was pointless calling Can-Net they just ask you to run speediest.net and claim there is no throttling. I didn't even want to argue with them because I know for a fact they 100% are.

Don't even waste your time with them. Oh and when you cancel they don't even give you a prepaid shipping label. They told me to ship the modem back at my own cost.

Truly a terrible company

If you are with Can-Net and want to know your real internet speed, go to Fast.com after 6pm they are Netflix's own speedtest website

Nov 9, 2012
42 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough
Did anyone get charged a fee to return a rental modem? Yeesh.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4719 posts
1547 upvotes
Kingston
sealll wrote: Did anyone get charged a fee to return a rental modem? Yeesh.
Nope but it cost me $30 to mail it back to them.
Then they kept harrassing me, calling me asking where it was multiple times in a day. This is 2 days after I shipped it. No way am I paying for next day shipping when I have something like 1 or 2 weeks to get it there.
Oct 27, 2011
129 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga
So I bought this new tv over a year ago and had some people over. They tell me to go to YouTube and play some random 4K videos. I do that and they say oh that’s crap check the quality - it was pumping 480 lines instead of 4K . I force it to 4K and it starts buffering forever. We try the same with Netflix and you could literally see the pixelation and artifacts.
I was paying for a higher tier of Netflix to get higher quality TV. So these guys are literally scumming us by shaping the traffic? Can we do a class action?
Images
  • 598AF4A3-9CA2-422B-A32D-D4890F0A8D51.png
  • EA632405-10BC-49BA-9DF3-96AE1D80AA0C.png
Mar 29, 2016
51 posts
6 upvotes
@CanNetRFD is there any discount offer for black friday in Cable net? Any promo? ASAP I need to switch from Fido. Thanks
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
950 posts
116 upvotes
We have 2 promotions running for Black Friday for Rogers service area: 75M for $34.98/m and 150M for $39.98/m. For more information please check out our plan pages: https://www.cannettel.com/Plan/Cable

I wish we had better promotions like last year but it is been a difficult year for most third-party ISPs dealing with wholesale rates.