Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5970 posts
2543 upvotes
DeltaSingh wrote: Everything seems to be working on my end, but people here would like to know what fixed the problem.

I can send you my account number if you can look up the solution tech support implemented and post it here?
I would also like to know too. It would help to dispel any rumors that Cannet is throttling.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11302 posts
2432 upvotes
Toronto
@CanNetRFD

Can you kindly help me with an inquiry before I make a decision please?

1- I have a BELL FIBE Internet 50M/10M subscribtion in my building currently for the past 2 years. Service is alright, no major issues. They gave me a SAGEMCOM FAST ROUTER 2864 (with WiFi) to use when I upgraded to initially 25M then to 50M FIBE Internet speed (I don't have a phone number with BELL so it's Dryloop I presume). I previously had a CELLPIPE 7130 Resdential Gateway [Wifi Router](and now own it after having it with BELL FIBE previously when they had 15M FIBE Speed...before the SAGEMCOM model I mentioned was provided when I went for 25M then 50M FIBE speeds).

If I cancel my subscription with Bell...I will probably have to return the SAGEMCOM Wifi Router back to them. So, does that mean that my CELLPIPE 7130 Wifi Residental Gateway router will NOT work with 50M DSL speeds?

2- Is the CanNet DSL 50M service the same as the BELL FIBE 50M service? Using the same lines?

3- If I want to join CanNet...would you recommend your 75M Cable or 50M DSL? And why? What would the difference be (besides the higher speed of 75M Cable)....is it because the 50M DSL is more stable at it's speed and bandwidth or what?...because it is more expensive than the 75M Cable.

4- How long should it take to get CanNet Internet installed and running here? I ask because I want to know when you would recommend that I call and cancel with BELL Fibe Internet so I don't miss any Internet access in the process of switching over.

5- I prefer a Wireless Modem/Router...so are the ones provided with CanNet good enough for either 75M Cable or 50M DSL?

6- Is Installation Free for either of these two services (I know it says Installation FREE only for Cable but not DSL in the OP) but needed a confirmation? If No, why is there an Installation FEE for DSL? (since I already have BELL Fibe from before as mentioned)

7- Is it better to call the CanNet Direct Number or the Agent Number once I decide to join?

Thank you in advance for your time and help answering my inquiries. Cheers!
Last edited by Scorpionsy on Aug 4th, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6752 posts
1602 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
newt_101 wrote: Signed up for the 100/10 plan for $39.98/m plus $99 for the TC4350 with an installation date of 8/4
Here's my update from EBox > Cannet transfer

7/27 - Signed up for 100/10 plan and bought new modem
8/1 - Received new modem in the mail
8/4 - Rogers tech came (during the time I was told) and installed new modem/service alongside my current Ebox modem/service using a splitter.
8/4 - An hour later internet was working @ 100/11

Very simple transition
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1825 posts
542 upvotes
Ottawa
I can give you some info about CellPipe 7130 part if it helps. Please ask the OP "Teddy Boom" if you have technical questions. He's located in Toronto too.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r314737 ... ected-info

WARNING: when running firmware 1.0.4.4r8-wh, factory reset doesn't work, so backup cfg.bin in a safe place :)

Manual
With the ambiguity around CellPipe 7130 model numbering, there are a bunch of potential manuals online. Turns out this one for the CellPipe 7130 500V series is pretty good. It seems to be the full manual for the uncrippled CellPipe that Bell based their version on.

Using the manual, and inspecting html source, there are a bunch of hidden pages worth mentioning:
»192.168.2.1/util_cfgstore.html
»192.168.2.1/util_cfgrestore.html
»192.168.2.1/wan_vlan_vdsl.html
»192.168.2.1/wan_dhcp_vdsl.html
»192.168.2.1/wan_pppoe_dhcp.html
»192.168.2.1/util_adsl.html
»192.168.2.1/hpna.html
»192.168.2.1/hpna_test.html
»192.168.2.1/util_device.html
»192.168.2.1/util_dhcp.html
»192.168.2.1/util_dhcpcache.html
»192.168.2.1/bridge_filter.html
»192.168.2.1/advanced_alg.html
Of course the page we're all looking for, 192.168.2.1/wan_bridge_vdsl.html, gives a 404 not found :(

Bridge Mode
The CellPipe bridge mode hack detailed here works great, as long as you can tag the WAN port of your router with VLAN 35. Gives a very reliable 50mbit/s down 11mbit/s up in testing.

HPNA
I tried out the HPNA port, and it works great. Of course you first have to enable it:
1) Download the cfg file using »192.168.2.1/util_cfgstore.html
2) Change HPNA_Enable=0 to HPNA_Enable=1
3) Restore the altered cfg file using »192.168.2.1/util_cfgrestore.html
I set the second CellPipe up in a typical Access Point Mode type configuration: different IP address, turn off DHCP. Got about 60mbit/s wired over the HPNA connection.

Wi-Fi
I used to think the Wi-Fi in these was N300 class. Turns out it is probably more draft-N300 class :) When limited to 20MHz, it reports a speed of 130mbit/s to devices, instead of the more typical 144.4 of a modern N300 access point, when 40MHz is enabled, it reports 270mbit/s instead of the more typical 300mbit/s that gives N300 its name. It appears that this is because it doesn't have Short Guard Interval enabled, nor does it seem to have that option at all.

More to come I guess ;)
Scorpionsy wrote: @CanNetRFD

Can you kindly help me with an inquiry before I make a decision please?

If I cancel my subscription with Bell...I will probably have to return the SAGEMCOM Wifi Router back to them. So, does that mean that my CELLPIPE 7130 Wifi Residental Gateway router will NOT work with 50M DSL speeds?
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Sep 13, 2008
391 posts
74 upvotes
CanNetRFD wrote: Yes of course will keep everyone posted once I hear anything regarding the issue, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Have you heard anything regarding slowing of the upload on the 25/10 profile yet? I'm still seeing 25/4, as is my buddy in another part of town. We both had 25/10 consistently before this started.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Thinking of getting cable internet from cannet and wondered about the tech install. We used to have cable years ago but cancelled long ago. If I want to install the modem in a room where there isn't a cable outlet, will the tech run a new cable from the outside box to this room? There isn't a way to split it from another internal outlet so they would need to run a line outside the house approx 25 ft and then bring through the brick.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1985 posts
192 upvotes
Ottawa
So the Internet installer came to my house during the time frame that I had selected. He gave me a 15 minute heads up call as well. He did some thing on the outside and came into for 2 minutes didn't really do much inside the house just asked if I am with Rogers and I said yes. He said he can connect my modem, etc for me now or just wait an hour and install it myself so not to be without any connection. I decided on the later. However my speeds are not even close to being what I signed up for which is the 150/15. I have been getting 15mbps-45mbps. Whhat should I do. I called the number that was on the modem and talked to technical support and he told me to check in 24 hours. Is that what people have been doing. I can't stand getting speeds that low while paying for 150. Wired connection seems to be much slower than wifi for some reason as well.

Don't know why it says 8:10pm because I took the test around 4pm. Also not sure if it is my Kodi problem or not. But also my Kodi add-on Elysium is not working at all. No channels/movies are loading.
Last edited by masoud100 on Aug 4th, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10105 posts
6522 upvotes
GTA, ON
masoud100 wrote: So the Internet installer came to my house during the time frame that I had selected. He gave me a 15 minute heads up call as well. He did some thing on the outside and came into for 2 minutes didn't really do much inside the house just asked if I am with Rogers and I said yes. He said he can connect my modem, etc for me now or just wait an hour and install it myself so not to be without any connection. I decided on the later. However my speeds are not even close to being what I signed up for which is the 150/15. I have been getting 15mbps-45mbps. Whhat should I do. I called the number that was on the modem and talked to technical support and he told me to check in 24 hours. Is that what people have been doing. I can't stand getting speeds that low while paying for 150. Wired connection seems to be much slower than wifi for some reason as well.
Normally speeds ramp up after a couple of hours. Other thing you can try is doing a reset of the modem by unplugging from the wall outlet for 30 seconds and then powering back up. Might as well do the same toyour router as well.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Aug 5, 2011
298 posts
89 upvotes
rytwjyx wrote: Edit: nevermind going back a few pages seems to indicate so

Has anyone experienced indications of being throttled?

I am seeing this really weird behavior where during ~8PM-12AM my phone's download slows down to exactly 3Mb/s (speedtest shows consistent 2.9xMb/s) with upload is unaffected, whereas my laptop (Macbook Pro) still gets full speeds both DL/UL. Since it's happening on one device but not the other I am not really sure if it is throttling. Can confirm there is no QoS on my router.
This is exactly what I am experiencing and have been warning users about. The speeds are almost unusable during those hours sometimes -- I cannot even stream a 480p video on YouTube.

I also ordered CarryTel in the mean time. I will test them out and report back.

Disclaimer: I have no stakes in either company. I would have much preferred to go with CanNet since I will have the option of renting their modem, which is why I am with them. By buying the Modem from CarryTel, it is essentially is a commitment to stay with them or switch to another company which also uses the Technicolor modem. But if switching to CarryTel means more reliable internet WITHOUT THROTTLING, I will do it.
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I remember my speeds weren't also the greatest only for the first night and then after that it has been full speeds. It was because they assign you to a CO in your city only after installation and that takes max 24 hours to be provisioned. I've had Cannet now since early April.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2003 posts
1073 upvotes
Montreal
Does anyone know which WiFi router they give for Quebec service? Curious to know what the WiFi signal speed is? 1200mbps? 3200mbps?

Basically I want to know if I'm getting the equivalent of the HomeHub 2000 or HomeHub 3000.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Fido CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 2gb $33/month
3 Logitech X-230 Speakers (150% PM at Staples) = $13 each (I bought 3!)[/B]
Apr 24, 2008
70 posts
16 upvotes
Follow up: the Rogers installer came today as scheduled, fiddled a bit and said it was connected but that there was an issue with the line at the junction box or connection at the street, unrelated to anything in the house or my connections from the curb. He said he had put in a request for a service call and that they would fix it within 4 hours as it was pretty bad and would result in potential lost packets or a "wonky" connection. I asked him if it would mean slow speeds and he said it may or it may not affect your speed but the quality of the line.

I had to go run some errands anyway and by the time I came back, I hooked up the modem, setup the router and did a test and it seems to be ok but different online test sites offer pretty wildly different results!

Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1981 posts
578 upvotes
Ottawa
I opted for the wired model, lets say I want to switch to the wireless modem in the future, is that possible?
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1410 posts
368 upvotes
Vietlord wrote: I opted for the wired model, lets say I want to switch to the wireless modem in the future, is that possible?
If you are renting the modem you can switch at any time.
Sep 13, 2008
391 posts
74 upvotes
kanata2004 wrote: Their 30m plan is 30m/5m , and 25m is 25m/10m . This 25m/10m maybe the shortest life plan in rogers history. I'm not surprised Rogers change upload to 4M.

Anybody with 25m, you can try your speed test (wired) and check upload speed. If all are 4M, it means Rogers changed 25m plan profile to 25m/4m.
pny128 wrote: Got 10 here.
TO
According to Jordan Deng, Rogers switched the 25/10 users to the 30/5 profile. Are you still getting 25/10 pny128?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)