Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Cannet] Unlimited Cable Internet 75m $39.98, 150M $49.98, 300M $69.98

Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6637 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
IndyBeak wrote: I am having second thoughts now. Speeds tonight have been all over the place. Tried speed test a bunch of times on both laptop and phone, and it was always under 10mbps. This is on 150/15 plan. On the other hand Fido has been rocksolid and has speeds in excess of the plan I have. Some screen shots below. I will monitor for a few more days. Interestingly, while http bandwidth struggles, ftp still appears to perform better. Compared to miserable 5-6mbps on browser, a ftp transfer I ran for 8GB file sustained around 9MBPS, so around 72mbps. Still half of what is expected, but still usable.
Was it always like that or randomly today? When i signed up, it was as if I was on a 15 down plan because that was my max. I opened a ticket and they resolved it after a few days. No clue what they did.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2565 posts
1356 upvotes
Mississauga
jeeva86 wrote: Was it always like that or randomly today? When i signed up, it was as if I was on a 15 down plan because that was my max. I opened a ticket and they resolved it after a few days. No clue what they did.
certainly seems to be random. Over the weekend, speeds were lower than the plan, but still around 90-120 mbps during peak hours, which I will don't mind. But last night, it crawled to under 10. What I found weird was that even when the http speeds were crawling, ftp was still decent at around 9MBPS. Does it have something to do with they way CanNet routes traffic? May be inefficient path. I will be raising a ticket shortly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6637 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
IndyBeak wrote: certainly seems to be random. Over the weekend, speeds were lower than the plan, but still around 90-120 mbps during peak hours, which I will don't mind. But last night, it crawled to under 10. What I found weird was that even when the http speeds were crawling, ftp was still decent at around 9MBPS. Does it have something to do with they way CanNet routes traffic? May be inefficient path. I will be raising a ticket shortly.
Check router settings? Make sure your tests are all via wired to modem.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2565 posts
1356 upvotes
Mississauga
jeeva86 wrote: Check router settings? Make sure your tests are all via wired to modem.
I don't think it has anything to do with router. Under exact same environment, a test on Fido came back with expected results. I did close to a dozen tests using laptop and mobile phone. On both 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz bands. Every time Fido results were good, while CanNet results were poor. Repeated the tests on SpeedTest which showed better numbers (since ISPs have their servers optimized for SpeedTest.net) for CanNet, but similar patterns when compared to Fido..However FTP always worked better. I will do a route tracing tonight so see if that could be the issue. The Http test servers were all located in North America, while the FTP server I read from is in Netherlands. So routing could definitely be a factor here.
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: I am having second thoughts now. Speeds tonight have been all over the place. Tried speed test a bunch of times on both laptop and phone, and it was always under 10mbps. This is on 150/15 plan. On the other hand Fido has been rocksolid and has speeds in excess of the plan I have. Some screen shots below. I will monitor for a few more days. Interestingly, while http bandwidth struggles, ftp still appears to perform better. Compared to miserable 5-6mbps on browser, a ftp transfer I ran for 8GB file sustained around 9MBPS, so around 72mbps. Still half of what is expected, but still usable.
If you are not getting the advertised speeds, please contact our technical department and they will analyze. TIA
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
nmerali wrote: So I just got off the phone with CS Cannet. I live in a Condominium Townhouse (not apartment or condo building) and he informs me that a transfer is the only option and therefore having a 10 days testing is not possible with my current provider still active. Can somebody please confirm
You should be able to run two lines; please PM your account details and I will have a supervisor contact you.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2565 posts
1356 upvotes
Mississauga
CanNetRFD wrote: If you are not getting the advertised speeds, please contact our technical department and they will analyze. TIA
Yes definitely. Will be raising a ticket shortly.
Jun 4, 2003
188 posts
9 upvotes
I got my service setup last Monday. However, I received my first invoice and the one-time charge did not get refund to me. As calling Cannet, the rep stated that my plan was correct and the one-time charge was not refundable. I did mention it's RFD referral deal but he said he could not help me on refunding the charge.

Do any of you have same billing issue?

Thanks!
my Email: yjzeng at yahoo doc com

My Ebay

HowardForum
Verified Rep
Jun 20, 2017
955 posts
116 upvotes
yjzeng wrote: I got my service setup last Monday. However, I received my first invoice and the one-time charge did not get refund to me. As calling Cannet, the rep stated that my plan was correct and the one-time charge was not refundable. I did mention it's RFD referral deal but he said he could not help me on refunding the charge.

Do any of you have same billing issue?

Thanks!
Which plan did you sign up for?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2129 posts
528 upvotes
Ottawa
anyone in ottawa west using this? planning to sign up 150M plan and would like to know the stability. also I already said on the other thread but the rep told me to cancel my current ISP (fido) first b4 signing up, but I hvae heard others have done it without doing so. I live in an apartment does it make a difference?
Apr 21, 2011
72 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
IndyBeak wrote: This is not really valid because the same test (speedof.me) performed better and as expected with Fido. Check the screen shots I shared.
I find it curious that I got bad results (which differed every time I tested) with speeof.me but I do not see this with others like dslreports.com, fast.com, and speedtest.net. All of these give me consistent results. I am curious to know what you find out when you call tech, but I remain suspicious of the testing tool you are using. When 3 others give me the same basic result as compared to another each time ... perhaps the problem is not your service but instead the testing tool.

Speedof.me late last night was giving me results of 10 (like you said) but it is 90 this morning.
DSL reports 93.8, speedtest.net 94.72 and Fast.com 86 were all giving good results late last night and equally those shown this morning.
Dec 6, 2012
300 posts
142 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
IndyBeak wrote: I don't think it has anything to do with router. Under exact same environment, a test on Fido came back with expected results. I did close to a dozen tests using laptop and mobile phone. On both 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz bands. Every time Fido results were good, while CanNet results were poor. Repeated the tests on SpeedTest which showed better numbers (since ISPs have their servers optimized for SpeedTest.net) for CanNet, but similar patterns when compared to Fido..However FTP always worked better. I will do a route tracing tonight so see if that could be the issue. The Http test servers were all located in North America, while the FTP server I read from is in Netherlands. So routing could definitely be a factor here.
WiFi (2.4ghz or 5ghz) can be sometimes problematic. To be sure the problem is from the CanNet, you will have to disconnect WiFi and connect your laptop to the modem (not router) using Ethernet cable and do a speed test.

NOTE: Use a Cat 5e or higher Ethernet cable to get best results.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14433 posts
3466 upvotes
i always use the Teksavvy speedtest...other speedtest programs give me lower or false result..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Apr 21, 2011
72 posts
28 upvotes
Ottawa - Overbook
kiasu wrote: i always use the Teksavvy speedtest...other speedtest programs give me lower or false result..
Seems to me Teksavvy uses speedtest.net.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2565 posts
1356 upvotes
Mississauga
YrocMorf wrote: I find it curious that I got bad results (which differed every time I tested) with speeof.me but I do not see this with others like dslreports.com, fast.com, and speedtest.net. All of these give me consistent results. I am curious to know what you find out when you call tech, but I remain suspicious of the testing tool you are using. When 3 others give me the same basic result as compared to another each time ... perhaps the problem is not your service but instead the testing tool.

Speedof.me late last night was giving me results of 10 (like you said) but it is 90 this morning.
DSL reports 93.8, speedtest.net 94.72 and Fast.com 86 were all giving good results late last night and equally those shown this morning.
I would have definitely agreed if speedof.me reacted the same way for Fido. But it was not. And I repeated the test at least a dozen times, and this behavior was repeated every time. And as I mentioned, FTP speeds were always consistent and around 9MBPs. Though 9MBPs is still not in line with my plan (150/15), I would still be willing to consider it okay considering 9MBPs (72mbps) at peak hours is still very good. At work now, but will definitely test it again tonight between 7PM-10PM and give tech a call.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2565 posts
1356 upvotes
Mississauga
kiasu wrote: i always use the Teksavvy speedtest...other speedtest programs give me lower or false result..
Or may be TeKsavvy speedtest gives you inflated results. The only truthful way of testing speed is to run a torrent or start downloading a big file from a reliable server, like Google, Microsoft etc, and then check if you get consistent transfer rates.