• Jan 12th, 2017 12:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes

Cannot Access a Website

Hey, can someone check for me. I cannot access etnet.com.hk when I am using my ISP (Telus). The website is clearly up as I can get there using LTE. I thought my IP was temporary blocked so I forced the Telus modem to give me a new IP but even with a new IP, I cannot access the site. It's hard to believe a news outlet like etnet would ban an entire block of IP from Telus. Or could this be the case. And I doubt it's a network issue, this has been happening for about 24 hours now.

If you can try and access this news site and let me know if you can get in. If you feel comfortable sharing your ISP, that would be great. It might help me sort this issue out.

http://www.etnet.com.hk/

I want to read a few articles there and I cannot even access the site. How can I troubleshoot this issue without having access to server admins who can see the firewall IP's?

Thanks in advance gang.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3280 posts
424 upvotes
Kingston
Works fine here using Start.ca through Cogeco infrastructure

Do you have a VPN? If so, try that and see if you access it that way
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2509 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The website isn't loading for me on Rogers and via VPN.

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.etnet.com.hk/

Connection to 202.62.215.10 failed.

The system returned: (110) Connection timed out
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
So now we have some users who can access it and some cannot. How do we use an online tool to check network outages? This is strange that a network issue has been on-going for almost 24 hours.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1165 posts
614 upvotes
Barrie ON
Consider that the problem may be caused because the IP address for this site is not available in whichever DNS server each of us is using. I am using the Google servers and I can access the site.

Try entering 202.62.215.10 into the address bar of your browser (instead of http://www.etnet.com.hk ) and see if that works.

Simply try pinging 202.62.215.10. If you get a reply, then the site is reachable and an add-on in your browser, or your anti-virus software is blocking access because the site is blacklisted.

Try a different browser or disable your Anti Virus "safe web" feature in case this site is blacklisted in the AV definitions file.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
Rick007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 6:01 pm
Consider that the problem may be caused because the IP address for this site is not available in whichever DNS server each of us is using. I am using the Google servers and I can access the site.

Try entering 202.62.215.10 into the address bar of your browser (instead of http://www.etnet.com.hk ) and see if that works.

Simply try pinging 202.62.215.10. If you get a reply, then the site is reachable and an add-on in your browser, or your anti-virus software is blocking access because the site is blacklisted.

Try a different browser or disable your Anti Virus "safe web" feature in case this site is blacklisted in the AV definitions file.
Good methodology. I thought about that and tried using Google DNS's as well but no change. On the same device, I can reach the site using LTE but not through my ISP. Not sure what is going on at this point. Any one else have other things I can try?
Dec 24, 2014
88 posts
34 upvotes
Locust Hill, ON
No go, seems like the network is really congested. I am getting 90% packet losses.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1165 posts
614 upvotes
Barrie ON
bowmah wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 6:13 pm
Good methodology. I thought about that and tried using Google DNS's as well but no change.
But did you try entering the IP into the address bar.

Did you try pinging the address as suggested? If you can ping the address then you are looking for something that is blocking your browser only. Most likely anti-virus software on your own PC. Windows places different network interfaces into different "Network Zones", which are given different security privileges, so the fact that you can access the site with a different NIC, doesn't eliminate your PC as being the problem.

If you can't ping the address then perform a tracerte to see where you are getting blocked.
Feb 25, 2009
535 posts
108 upvotes
Montreal
Since Jan 8-10, 2017 till now, there is a fiber connection problem in that Asian area (IA) . They are still repairing the line
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
Rick007 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 9:43 pm
But did you try entering the IP into the address bar.

Did you try pinging the address as suggested? If you can ping the address then you are looking for something that is blocking your browser only. Most likely anti-virus software on your own PC. Windows places different network interfaces into different "Network Zones", which are given different security privileges, so the fact that you can access the site with a different NIC, doesn't eliminate your PC as being the problem.

If you can't ping the address then perform a tracerte to see where you are getting blocked.
Yes, I tried the IP directly.
ThomasTran wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 11:24 pm
Since Jan 8-10, 2017 till now, there is a fiber connection problem in that Asian area (IA) . They are still repairing the line
Crazy! I never knew network outages could last so long with today's redundancy. That explains it. http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ is now showing it's not just me!
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1165 posts
614 upvotes
Barrie ON
Although this site was visible for me via Bell FIbe yesterday, I was unable to reach it this morning.

My pings failed, and a tracert showed I was only getting as far as 208.46.37.38. This address belongs to Century Link in Milwaukee.

Without changing anything else on my PC, I tried again from a Hong Kong VPN server and was able to reach the site once again.

It appears that many of us are being geo-blocked. I think you will find that your LTE connection will be blocked soon as well.

I also tried connecting with the TOR Browser which sometimes gets around these obstacles, but it did not work in this case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
Rick007 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2017 8:38 am
Although this site was visible for me via Bell FIbe yesterday, I was unable to reach it this morning.

My pings failed, and a tracert showed I was only getting as far as 208.46.37.38. This address belongs to Century Link in Milwaukee.

Without changing anything else on my PC, I tried again from a Hong Kong VPN server and was able to reach the site once again.

It appears that many of us are being geo-blocked. I think you will find that your LTE connection will be blocked soon as well.

I also tried connecting with the TOR Browser which sometimes gets around these obstacles, but it did not work in this case.
It most likely is not geo blocking as it seems unlikely that a large legit media outlet would blocked a large chunk of Canadian traffic. Thomas above mentioned that a fiber connection is down in Asia. That seems most probable as a colleague in Europe is now unable to reach the site now. Just seems so odd that a connectivity issue could last so many days. What is the world coming to? Lol

If I VPN through the US, I can see the site. If it is somehow blocked by firewall, then it's a huge mistake to block entire ISP blocks.