• Dec 15th, 2020 10:54 am
74 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1958 posts
676 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Pre ordered and time to sell my 5d mark iv
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7764 64 Core & Dual 5950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Dec 20, 2008
28 posts
4 upvotes
Canon will price guarantee until the end of 2020 for the r5.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1743 posts
557 upvotes
Mississauga
I wonder who is actually buying R5? many wedding photographer and filmmaker are not making money right now. buying $6K gear while on CERB?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
aximrocks wrote: I wonder who is actually buying R5? many wedding photographer and filmmaker are not making money right now. buying $6K gear while on CERB?
Traditionally you would see a flood of used gear hit the market near announcements to help fund upgrades, but if people aren't buying up the used gear...that will slow down sales.

Canon will probably do a rebate program or trade-in program, retailers will try to get financing programs in too. Sales of anything luxury or non-essential are going to be slow as molasses in the arctic.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1527 posts
879 upvotes
aximrocks wrote: I wonder who is actually buying R5? many wedding photographer and filmmaker are not making money right now. buying $6K gear while on CERB?
I think those who have the money to spend that aren't necessarily photographer or filmmaker and if they are, those who have very specific needs. I find hobbyists more willing to change whenever there's a new camera announced.

I'm not a pro photographer or videographer, but if I am, I'll get the gear that make my workflow faster, meet and exceed the clients' demands. 45 megapixel and 8k slow down the whole process and it exceed over the top 98% of clients' demands...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote: I think those who have the money to spend that aren't necessarily photographer or filmmaker and if they are, those who have very specific needs. I find hobbyists more willing to change whenever there's a new camera announced.

I'm not a pro photographer or videographer, but if I am, I'll get the gear that make my workflow faster, meet and exceed the clients' demands. 45 megapixel and 8k slow down the whole process and it exceed over the top 98% of clients' demands...
It's a future proofing camera. Remember way back of yesteryears when we all said "HD video on a DSLR?" Then Vincent Laforet blew our minds with the 5Dmk2 video. Most will say the 5dmk2 lasted a good 5 years of service (even though the crappy AF was awful) it was a solid system.

I see this as the camera to solidify the move to mirrorless for Canon. Which reaffirms to me as an Olympus fanboy, Olympus was 10 years ahead of their time with 5 axis IBIS and mirrorless tech....
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1527 posts
879 upvotes
bhrm wrote: It's a future proofing camera. Remember way back of yesteryears when we all said "HD video on a DSLR?" Then Vincent Laforet blew our minds with the 5Dmk2 video. Most will say the 5dmk2 lasted a good 5 years of service (even though the crappy AF was awful) it was a solid system.

I see this as the camera to solidify the move to mirrorless for Canon. Which reaffirms to me as an Olympus fanboy, Olympus was 10 years ahead of their time with 5 axis IBIS and mirrorless tech....
I have being burn way too many time trying to be an early adopter to new tech. I rather wait a couple years to get something more mature. Remember when 4k was reserved for the high end cameras and it had huge crop with limited record time? Now any mid-range camera can do 4k almost unlimited if the company allows it (without implanting the artificial 30 min limit).
Or remember when $15k medium format had huge megapixel count back in the days? Now you can get a used Sony A7R2 for less than $2k with a 42 megapixel sensor and much better DR than a 10 years old medium format.

As of now, for 8K and future proofing' sake, one has to be willing to make compromise to short duration of footage + over the top expensive CFexpress card (a 512Gb card cost close to $1k) for a hour of 8k footage. Don't forget the workstation that can handle it.

I'm not complaining about Canon and don't get me wrong, having a company willing to do 8K is a great achievement and will pave the road for future cameras. Just don't forget that technology evolves quickly and being the early adopter means more cost and being exclusive for like a little while only.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
the artificial time limit was i think to get around the EU's taxes on video equipment vs photo, also sport venues did not want photo-journalists doubling up their duties, also the file format initially did not play well with file size over 4 gig, but now most use the container format to hold 'unlimited' but really still broke up in 4 gig chunks.

As for work station, yes that's the big hurdle but that comes with time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6598 posts
3114 upvotes
Germany
bhrm wrote: It's a future proofing camera. Remember way back of yesteryears when we all said "HD video on a DSLR?" Then Vincent Laforet blew our minds with the 5Dmk2 video. Most will say the 5dmk2 lasted a good 5 years of service (even though the crappy AF was awful) it was a solid system.

Olympus was 10-years ahead on features, but those only carry you so far. Can you honestly say that if you have $2,400 to spend, you're going to take the E-M1 III body only over the Z6 or A7iii?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote: Olympus was 10-years ahead on features, but those only carry you so far. Can you honestly say that if you have $2,400 to spend, you're going to take the E-M1 III body only over the Z6 or A7iii?
Olympus was smoking the finest.

The only instance I would ever if if I was a hardcore outdoor photog with strict weight limitations. You could really build a awesome kit under 10lb but Olympus was aiming the the niche of the niche.

The every other mirrorless system isn't as compact, but just as fast and 3-5 times better image quality yes.
Sep 28, 2008
546 posts
494 upvotes
Wish they didn't cripple the R6. That thing is gonna be $4K CAD and shoot 20MP. And 4K video overheats. Yikes. I thought I'd be buying it but I can wait til next year
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5043 posts
3237 upvotes
Medellin wrote: Wish they didn't cripple the R6. That thing is gonna be $4K CAD and shoot 20MP. And 4K video overheats. Yikes. I thought I'd be buying it but I can wait til next year
Video and heat was always a problem and will always be a problem. Back in the 7D days people would tie ice-packs to their 5D and 7D's, especially in summer heat.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
I remember a couple of years ago Nikon killed their new premium compact line because of the heat problem with 4K (apparently)
Jul 12, 2010
477 posts
80 upvotes
man I was super hyped for these when the announcement came out....and was thinking of jumping back into canon since I still own a decent amt of glass... but more and more reviews coming out from non canon ambass makes it more mediocre.

I kind of wanna say its like the Sony A7sii line... great step in the right direction but some flaws need to be fixed... so I think canon's next gen will dominate the competition. Great focus / build quality/ ergo/ new 8k/ great evf/ flip screen

I feel the price tag is on the little high side and then throw in the RF lens prices. But yeah the overheating chart they showed is alarming in terms of hey you get to use it 1 time and then wait for it to cool down and hope to get 1/2 the time as the previous. Big file format/ rolling shutter problem maybe... Battery life is an issue... surprised they did make a new battery but still use the old ones, wish they just made a new bigger battery so it wouldn't have a battery issue at all.
R6 video formats/ raw I think is cut down as per canons usual MO.

Not saying they are bad cameras I just want people to wait for more independent reviews when it does come out... too much fluff marketing atm for preorders and no one talking about potential issues with it.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
1632 posts
4173 upvotes
North York ON
Sony has been using down sampled 6K data to make 4K footage since 2016 with the A6300. But with the A6300, 4K and even HD @120fps would shut off the camera in under an hour.

I'm mentioning this as a praise to Canon for stepping up to the heat challenge. Sony obviously hit a wall because their mirrorless video specs have been 4k30p and [email protected] since 2014. They've been working at it but they need a worthy competitor to really push through this hurdle.

I don't doubt the R5 will suffer from many issues. But do note that they're newer to full frame mirrorless than Sony. And it took Sony five years to fix most of the major issues of the A7.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2484 posts
1272 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I want it, but I can't justify buying it.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1674 posts
795 upvotes
Hoping this leads to a massive amount of 5D Mark IV on the market.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15404 posts
10013 upvotes
Southern Ontario
My god R5 = $6K CDN, add adapter for now $150. That's like selling a 5D4 and two of my L zoom lenses, ouch!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1958 posts
676 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dairymandip wrote: Hoping this leads to a massive amount of 5D Mark IV on the market.
Like I am putting up my 5D IV for sale soon when I get the R5 :D
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7764 64 Core & Dual 5950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)