Canon SD1100 Lens Error, Repair ideas?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2013 9:16 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
58 posts
6 upvotes

Canon SD1100 Lens Error, Repair ideas?

The lens on my camera will not retract...it turns on but within a few seconds says "lens error, restart camera" . I've read up on the error and have tried evrything to fix it (without actually opening up the camera).
I bought my sd1100 about 14 months ago, so no warranty and i tried the canon website and they quoted $130 for the repair!?!?!
Any idea of a camera shop in Toronto that could repair the camera for under $50?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12969 posts
1423 upvotes
I had the same problem with the 1100. it's now sitting on my desk as a paper weight. it died a slow death and i think it was because i brought it to the beach and got some sand lodged somewhere.

i tried the opening it up completely and cleaning the lens focus area suggestion that i found online but it's a lot more complex than all the cell phones i take apart for fun. I just ended up messing it up even more. now im scared to bring my other cameras to the beach even though ive used and abused them a lot more than my 1100
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7737 posts
1627 upvotes
I presume you got it with a credit card, try checking if yours has extended warranty coverage for item purchased with the card.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
428 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
eddytoronto wrote: Any idea of a camera shop in Toronto that could repair the camera for under $50?
Highly doubt it.

To be able to repair Canon cameras, you have to be authorized by Canon as a service centre. Take it to Sun Camera and see what they say. They're an authorized Canon service centre.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
58 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad i didn't try taking it apart...that was going to be my next step.
I did buy it with a credit card and i think i might have the extra year warranty but i have no idea how the credit card extended warranty works? Do i call mastercard?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7737 posts
1627 upvotes
All the detail is in the agreement that they sent you when you got the card, the stack of paper that nobody read / keep. So, call them or check their website. Not sure if you will have to had it serviced before you can file but let us know how it works.
eddytoronto wrote: Thanks for the replies. I'm glad i didn't try taking it apart...that was going to be my next step.
I did buy it with a credit card and i think i might have the extra year warranty but i have no idea how the credit card extended warranty works? Do i call mastercard?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3705 posts
872 upvotes
Hamilton
sounds like a common problem with these stupid things, my sister had the same problem with hers, luckily we had 1 month left on the warranty.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
97 upvotes
I've got an SD700 on my desk right now from a friend who dropped it with the lens open. Same problem. Except the lens itself now rotates where it shouldn't. Odd thing is - I can get the camera to turn on and behave as a manual focus (if you physically turn the lens). Won't retract though. Doubt it's worth paying for repair.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2007
58 posts
6 upvotes
I called canon today and they said camera was out of warranty and told me to go online and get a repair quote, I told him i had already done that and was quoted $129 plus tax, which was too much. He said since it was out of warranty, there was nothing he could do. He then gave me a 10% off code to use at the canon estore.
Called Visa next. They told me I did have an extra year warranty and connected me to Royal & Sun Alliance. They started a claim for me. I have to mail them: A letter explaining the problem. The original receipt. Copy of Visa statement. Copy of Camera warranty. A repair quote from an authorized Canon dealer. I was told that once they receive this from me, I should hear back within 5 days.
Thanks again and I will update when i get a response from Royal & Sun Alliance.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7737 posts
1627 upvotes
Sorry to hear that Canon didn't take care of you the way they did to someone else I know.

However, sounds like you are covered by the insurance, so you are still okay.

Good luck with the work and I hope you will get many problem-free years from it now.
Jun 22, 2013
1 posts
hdom wrote: Sorry to hear that Canon didn't take care of you the way they did to someone else I know.

However, sounds like you are covered by the insurance, so you are still okay.

Good luck with the work and I hope you will get many problem-free years from it now.

I am not a technician but I looked over different ideas on the internet and this is what I did. PLEASE NOTE I no longer had a warranty on my camera so I wasn't overly concerned if this process was ruining my camera. I DON'T KNOW THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE!!! IT WORKED FOR ME.

I have an SD 1100 IS camera and the error message I received was "lens error please restart camera."

What I did is this. PLEASE READ ALL STEPS COMPLETELY BEFORE TRYING

1. I took the SD card out of the camera

2. I pressed the power button. While power light was on I would rotate the bottom part of the lens that comes out of the camera clockwise. I would hear 2 clicks. You can only do these 2 clicks one time, each time the power is turned on.

3. After turning the bottom part of the lens at least 30 - 50 times. (EACH TIME TUNING THE POWER ON AND OFF AGAIN) it finally went back into the camera and the camera works fine now.

I think this basically realigned the lens position so it would work properly.

I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE. AGAIN I AM NOT A TECH.