Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1366 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto

Canon sl2 vs m6

Hey everyone. Just wanted to got your opinion.

Canon sl2 vs m6. I'm trying to get into photography, not expecting realistically go change lens beyond the kit one. The attraction is the size of the m6 for the similarity in function to the sl2. I also read dslr may be phased out over time in comparison to mirrorless?
Member since 2006

Koodo- $40/8gb
Curren phone: Samsung S9
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2016
1544 posts
1350 upvotes
Of the two, as a new photographer, get the M6. The only reason to get the SL2 is for more external controls. But for you I am pretty sure the convenience of a smaller size camera is better.

You can also look into the M100. It is one of the best camera to get started. The on screen guide will tell you exactly what each function does. You can get it for $399 at Best Buy open box. Sometimes brand new for the same price.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5083 posts
2162 upvotes
Ancaster
CCHIPSS wrote: Of the two, as a new photographer, get the M6. The only reason to get the SL2 is for more external controls. But for you I am pretty sure the convenience of a smaller size camera is better.

You can also look into the M100. It is one of the best camera to get started. The on screen guide will tell you exactly what each function does. You can get it for $399 at Best Buy open box. Sometimes brand new for the same price.
Why bother recommending an ILC to him if he's never going to go beyond the kit lens?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2548 posts
1117 upvotes
GTA
unshavenyak wrote: Why bother recommending an ILC to him if he's never going to go beyond the kit lens?
+1

If you aren't interested in using any other lenses why not look at some of the better quality point and shoot cameras?

The M100 doesn't have a hotshoe or a viewfinder. The M6 doesn't have a viewfinder. Some people would find neither an issue. I, on the other hand, would never buy a camera lacking either.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Aug 22, 2015
190 posts
169 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
unshavenyak wrote: Why bother recommending an ILC to him if he's never going to go beyond the kit lens?
Well, there's not a whole lot of point-and-shoot cameras with M43 or APS-C size sensors out there, and the ones that do exist (Canon G1X, Panasonic LX100, Fuji X100 or XF10) tend to cost more than equivalent entry-level DSLR and mirrorless cameras.

If OP wanted a P&S, he/she would have asked for it, instead of asking opinions about two ILC.

EDIT: As for my own recommendation: get something with a viewfinder, either OVF or EVF. Since the Canon SL2 is cheaper than the M50 or M5, I would recommend the DSLR.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1402 posts
742 upvotes
Spinifex wrote: Well, there's not a whole lot of point-and-shoot cameras with M43 or APS-C size sensors out there, and the ones that do exist (Canon G1X, Panasonic LX100, Fuji X100 or XF10) tend to cost more than equivalent entry-level DSLR and mirrorless cameras.

If OP wanted a P&S, he/she would have asked for it, instead of asking opinions about two ILC.

EDIT: As for my own recommendation: get something with a viewfinder, either OVF or EVF. Since the Canon SL2 is cheaper than the M50 or M5, I would recommend the DSLR.
I think it's good that some members offers other alternatives as well. We don't know the photography knowledge of the OP. He might not be aware of the existence of premium P&S.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1366 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
Why is viewfinder important to you guys?

Ps. Thank you for all the comment so far
Member since 2006

Koodo- $40/8gb
Curren phone: Samsung S9
Aug 22, 2015
190 posts
169 upvotes
Longueuil, qc
keljai wrote: Why is viewfinder important to you guys?

Ps. Thank you for all the comment so far
A few reasons, mostly these:

- You have a much better view of the scene with a viewfinder than with a small screen held at arm-length.
- You can better judge focus and depth of field as well.
- You can better brace the camera against your body if you hold it to your face, than if you hold it at arm-length. Cameras, especially with longer and heavier lenses, can be unwieldy at arm-length. Be aware also that cameras do have moving pieces (mirror for DSLR, and shutter curtain for both mirrorless and DSLR), so they do shake a bit when taking pictures.
- In direct sunlight, a rear LCD will be washed-out and the impression you get from it will not really reflect the end result. A mirrorless EVF with a good cup allows you to better judge the results you will get.
- In low light, it's easier to use a DSLR OVF rather than electronic screens, especially lower-quality ones from entry-level cameras.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14226 posts
4727 upvotes
Toronto
Lens for the SL2 are much cheaper / better, but if you are never gonna go beyond the kit lens, why restrict yourself to Canon?

Look at the Sony RX100, A6000 etc.
Dec 4, 2009
186 posts
50 upvotes
GVRD
If Op is not willing to go beyond kit lens, I would recommend Ricoh GR ii or Fuji X70.
If OP might use other lenses (which makes up a whole point here), I would recommend SL2 for a better ecosystem.

DSLR is not going to be phase out anytime soon. Will be less popular though.

Having a viewfinder is better to experience with. Less complicated and you are literally looking into 'rabbit hole'.
"NOTHING HAUNTS US LIKE THE THINGS WE DON'T SAY."

-MITCH ALBOM