• Sep 14th, 2016 3:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2338 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto

Canopy Growth Corporation (CGC)

My friend just told me about this company, the only marijuana related company listed on the TSX?

Canopy Growth Corporation (CGC)

Up 14% just today! Wish I had known about this just yesterday, never mind last week or last month.....

Thoughts?
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
13 replies
Mar 25, 2016
110 posts
34 upvotes
Not sure where you got your info, but as far as I can see, it's flat for the day.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4548 posts
1473 upvotes
Vancity
OP must have had one puff too many. Anyway, CGC being flat is considered good for days like today.
signature closed for renovation
Dec 30, 2007
76 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
cgc.v was up 14% but cgc.to didn't move. What's the difference anyways?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5330 posts
1592 upvotes
Toronto
polish_crazyman wrote: cgc.v was up 14% but cgc.to didn't move. What's the difference anyways?
Look at the date and which stock market for that +14%...
Jun 27, 2012
225 posts
112 upvotes
"Drug Addict" would be a better title for OP
Apr 9, 2012
581 posts
169 upvotes
Markham
"My friend just told me about this company, the only marijuana related company listed on the TSX?"

This isn't the only marijuana related company listed on the TSX. There are many, just have a look.
Jan 8, 2009
459 posts
75 upvotes
it's the only one on the TSX. the other ones or on the venture market or the smaller exchanges
Apr 9, 2012
581 posts
169 upvotes
Markham
secol wrote: it's the only one on the TSX. the other ones or on the venture market or the smaller exchanges
TSX includes TSX Venture :facepalm:
Jan 8, 2009
459 posts
75 upvotes
aren'tTSX and TSX-V are different exchanges? anyways it's all semantics. more than one listed on exchanges in Canada, only one that is on the TSX, it was also the first one that listed on the TSX-V
Apr 9, 2012
581 posts
169 upvotes
Markham
secol wrote: aren'tTSX and TSX-V are different exchanges? anyways it's all semantics. more than one listed on exchanges in Canada, only one that is on the TSX, it was also the first one that listed on the TSX-V
yea, just all semantics.

overall thought is, it's very tough for this company to make long term profits. If legalization does occur, the big agricultural company will jump in and virtually wipe out this company's small profit.
Jan 8, 2009
459 posts
75 upvotes
i think it would be too late by then since it takes time to set up the facilities and grow the crops. the bigger name players who get the licences would be able to gain a large chunk of the market by the time somebody new stepped in
Apr 9, 2012
581 posts
169 upvotes
Markham
secol wrote: i think it would be too late by then since it takes time to set up the facilities and grow the crops. the bigger name players who get the licences would be able to gain a large chunk of the market by the time somebody new stepped in
Usually the way it works is, those big companies have eyes and ears knowing when the outcome will happen. They have connection to the political arena and often gets information quicker than anyone else. Once they know it's coming, they will have already set everything up. the way these smaller guys would gain is through acquisitions, if the bigger companies don't want to go through the hassle of building it inhouse, they will just buy it and pay a premium.