Can't find brown sugar for delivery at reasonable price - Rural NB

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2023 4:56 pm
[OP]
Feb 12, 2014
95 posts
87 upvotes

Can't find brown sugar for delivery at reasonable price - Rural NB

Since walmart stopped grocery delivery a few years ago to most locations I have not been able to buy brown sugar - or dried beans - for a reasonable price online for home delivery.

I live in rural New Brunswick about an hour's drive from the closest city.

Any suggestions?

Amazon is insanely overpriced with brown sugar going for about $15 for 2kg
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
2028 posts
1699 upvotes
Halifax
Giant Tiger is reasonably priced for both brown sugar and dried beans. Is there one close to you or someone you know who might travel to one once in a while.
Shoppers can be very reasonable on sugar when it is on sale and you pair it with a 20X but no delivery except on Sugar Twin .

I see Amazon with Brown sugar for $ 2.99 for 500 grams and $5.49 for 1 Kg. Both look like premium products.
A fan of RFD
Oct 18, 2017
765 posts
1515 upvotes
New Brunswick
How rural are we talking? (I live in NB as well). No convenience / corner stores that sell it? Obviously you’ll be paying a premium when it’s not direct from a supermarket, but some convenience stores sometimes have relative fair prices on basic commodities, when you account for the markup they need to add on.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
16494 posts
22678 upvotes
Vancouver
OP you might have to do what rural folks did in the old days. Make an occasional trip into town and stock up on a ton of supplies. Brown sugar doesn’t spoil so you can buy lots and store it. I’m guessing you have a car, much easier doing this nowadays than with horse and wagon lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6980 posts
9045 upvotes
GTA
There has to be a grocery store in a town closer to the OP than the city that's an hour away.
Sep 16, 2007
774 posts
324 upvotes
Ancaster
How do you get the rest of your groceries?
She/Her
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4311 posts
3151 upvotes
Montreal
Brown sugar is literally white sugar plus molasse, just buy a box of that from any grocery store baking section and add whatever amount you desire.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6980 posts
9045 upvotes
GTA
jzmtl wrote: Brown sugar is literally white sugar plus molasse, just buy a box of that from any grocery store baking section and add whatever amount you desire.
Or just buy the brown sugar that's next to the white sugar on the shelf. Brown sugar is a baking staple, all grocery stores carry it. I can't figure out why the OP needs to order it online, just pick some up when your buying your milk, meat and eggs and other groceries.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
16494 posts
22678 upvotes
Vancouver
tew wrote: Or just buy the brown sugar that's next to the white sugar on the shelf. Brown sugar is a baking staple, all grocery stores carry it. I can't figure out why the OP needs to order it online, just pick some up when your buying your milk, meat and eggs and other groceries.
It sounds to me like he buys everything online. Maybe he's a farmer and produces his own meat, eggs, and milk.
Great-grandfather used to ride the horse and buggy into town to stock up on staples a few times a year. Just like the OP, dried beans and sugar are definitely two items he would have bought. I think the OP needs to consider doing this too, although it does require some planning ahead; which Amazon doesn't.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)