Jan 26, 2016
1808 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Can't find CC for Insurance (Travel, Rental, Roadside) with <$150 AF

I am trying to find a CC that has the following:
  • Rental car insurance
  • Trip interruption/cancellation/baggage insurance
  • Road side assistance (CAA replacement)
Any suggestions?
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5788 posts
5298 upvotes
WinterSleep wrote: I am trying to find a CC that has the following:
  • Rental car insurance
Any suggestions?
I don't think such a card exists; not for under $150 annual fee. You're probably better off with an actual CAA membership and a freemium card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7807 posts
986 upvotes
Get the home trust visa for the road side assistance and then find another card for the travel/rental car stuff.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1808 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HBP wrote: Get the home trust visa for the road side assistance and then find another card for the travel/rental car stuff.
Yeah I was thinking that might be an option... though 5km towing radius is pretty small...

Having said that, it also says it has car rental.. is that for real?

No annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, road side, AND car rental!? Is there a catch?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5504 posts
4053 upvotes
BMO Cash Back WE. $120 annual fee or no annual fee through #bankup.

BMO WE. $150 annual fee or no annual fee through #bankup.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
💳 Credit card combo (2.5-7.5% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1808 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto, ON
superangrypenguin wrote: Desjardins Gold Odyssey card.
^no roadside assistance...
EdisonL299 wrote: BMO Cash Back WE. $120 annual fee or no annual fee through #bankup.

BMO WE. $150 annual fee or no annual fee through #bankup.
The road-side assistance is an add-on and costs nearly same as CAA membership :(
Nov 22, 2012
577 posts
578 upvotes
NS
BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard has roadside assistance, rental car CDW, flight delay and baggage insurance.
TD Cash Back Visa Infinite has roadside assistance, rental car CDW, and baggage insurance.
Jan 16, 2018
72 posts
44 upvotes
WinterSleep wrote: I am trying to find a CC that has the following:
  • Rental car insurance
+1

Yes but the FX-fee-free Home Trust Preferred Visa already includes some insurances like "Auto Rental Collision/Loss Damage Insurance" along with its free basic roadside assistance so you just need a premium travel card for the rest.

However, if original OP list for that "CAA replacement" meant really replace a premium/plus level rather than basic one because expect longer distance towing incidents beyond 5km to be included as per OP's recent reply, then you may wish to also consider Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance which appears to be popular here during their seasonal 50% off promos as found here : https://forums.redflagdeals.com/canadia ... 3-2145423/ (others here and there will have to chime in for your questions on it as don't have this CTC deal)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3694 posts
2358 upvotes
Edmonton
WinterSleep wrote: Yeah I was thinking that might be an option... though 5km towing radius is pretty small...

Having said that, it also says it has car rental.. is that for real?

No annual fee, no foreign transaction fee, road side, AND car rental!? Is there a catch?
The only catch is hoping you don’t get declined for the card.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1808 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto, ON
starchoice wrote: The only catch is hoping you don’t get declined for the card.
Why would I get declined?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5788 posts
5298 upvotes
WinterSleep wrote: Why would I get declined?
There's a whole thread about it in the credit card forum... seems like it's hit or miss whether you get approved or not, even with excellent credit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1808 posts
1730 upvotes
Toronto, ON
superfresh89 wrote: There's a whole thread about it in the credit card forum... seems like it's hit or miss whether you get approved or not, even with excellent credit.
oh... any idea what factors?
Mar 2, 2017
215 posts
191 upvotes
jevonb wrote: BMO CashBack World Elite MasterCard has roadside assistance, rental car CDW, flight delay and baggage insurance.
It certainly used to, but I'm not so sure anymore. If you look on page 21 of this benefits guide (which may be out of date), it says: "With the BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard, you will receive a free membership of the Dominion Automobile Association and the benefits of their BMO Roadside Assistance Program (Basic Coverage)."

And if you look back at an old copy of the webpage from the wayback machine, it talks about the "Complimentary Roadside Assistance Program" right on the main page.

But looking at the current main page, I don't see an indication of it anymore. Was this another change BMO snuck in with all their other recent changes? Or maybe I'm just blind.
Nov 22, 2012
577 posts
578 upvotes
NS
ddot98 wrote: It certainly used to, but I'm not so sure anymore. If you look on page 21 of this benefits guide (which may be out of date), it says: "With the BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard, you will receive a free membership of the Dominion Automobile Association and the benefits of their BMO Roadside Assistance Program (Basic Coverage)."

And if you look back at an old copy of the webpage from the wayback machine, it talks about the "Complimentary Roadside Assistance Program" right on the main page.

But looking at the current main page, I don't see an indication of it anymore. Was this another change BMO snuck in with all their other recent changes? Or maybe I'm just blind.
I would trust the most current benefits guide over the webpage notes. The roadside assistance benefit is included in both the "Benefits Guide" you found and the more comprehensive "Information Guide" which is accessed directly from the credit card info page https://www.bmo.com/pdf/cashback-world-elite-en.pdf
The current BMO website design does not include comprehensive benefits notes. The benefits notes are often inconsistent depending on which webpage you access. For example, 2 of the following 3 webpages do state that this card includes a Complimentary Roadside Assistance Program.

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credi ... astercard/
https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credi ... -cashback/
https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credi ... &gclsrc=ds