• Apr 8th, 2021 3:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1145 posts
1203 upvotes

Can't find pavers that match driveway

Greetings,
I bought a house from a builder and on one side of the driveway they planted grass. I took away the grass thinking I'd be able to find matching pavers as I knew the place where the pavers were purchased. Turns out the pavers don't match anymore. I'd prefer not to put the grass back as it never grew very well in that area.
Does anyone have any ideas what I could do with this area?
I could take some pavers from the other side of the driveway and fill in half the space shown above maybe use another style of paver to fill in the spaces on both sides of the driveway so it looks like a design feature.
I was also thinking of some sort of river rock.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Images
  • driveway.jpg
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1451 posts
1289 upvotes
Why don’t look at ideas online for decorative pavers that purposely don’t match and have some kind of design. Give the driveway an unique style.
Mar 9, 2019
175 posts
90 upvotes
what do you mean don't match? color or sizing?
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1127 posts
416 upvotes
Mississauga
I believe what ProductGuy maybe saying is change things around a bit by adding different pavers to create some sort of a design/pattern. In the end it will look good, but the key is to find pavers that are the same thickness to help. make ease of installation.

I've dug out my backyard to create a 450 sq. ft patio and since my driveway and walkway to the backyard was laid 30 years ago, I'm having a difficult time matching the pavers to have a continuous flow from back to front. My pavers (Unilock Classico) was discontinued about 22 years ago, so I'm on the hunt to find used ones as mine still look good after 30 years. It's amazing what a good strong gas pressure washer with detergent to do to make pavers come back to life.

Good luck with what ever you decide as used maybe an option.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1145 posts
1203 upvotes
urbanshack wrote: what do you mean don't match? color or sizing?
Both. The colour on the new one is much darker. Plus the new ones have built in spacers. The old ones had no spacers and whoever built the driveway left no space between the pavers.
Mar 9, 2019
175 posts
90 upvotes
ok. I was going to say buy a batch for the area needed and remove pavers from around the driveway to create a uniform look. In that case you could also try some river rocks or 3/4 gravel fill the area little lower then the paver and then buy 3 or 4 medium sized armor stones and place on top.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1145 posts
1203 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote: I believe what ProductGuy maybe saying is change things around a bit by adding different pavers to create some sort of a design/pattern. In the end it will look good, but the key is to find pavers that are the same thickness to help. make ease of installation.

I've dug out my backyard to create a 450 sq. ft patio and since my driveway and walkway to the backyard was laid 30 years ago, I'm having a difficult time matching the pavers to have a continuous flow from back to front. My pavers (Unilock Classico) was discontinued about 22 years ago, so I'm on the hunt to find used ones as mine still look good after 30 years. It's amazing what a good strong gas pressure washer with detergent to do to make pavers come back to life.

Good luck with what ever you decide as used maybe an option.
Yes I may have to add a different paver. I just want to move the minimum amount of brick as they are packed in so tight. Getting the right size will be an issue for sure.
I also want to move the minimum amount of pavers if possible. These suckers are heavy and are over 3" thick.
Thanks for your advice and thanks @ProductGuy
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1529 posts
784 upvotes
Calgary, AB
How about gravel and some karl foerster grasses along that area? You’ll have to dig out the gravel and replace it with dirt, but it would look nice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1145 posts
1203 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: How about gravel and some karl foerster grasses along that area? You’ll have to dig out the gravel and replace it with dirt, but it would look nice.
Thanks for the idea!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17090 posts
14481 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Over the years at different houses we done different things along our driveways

So based on my experience ...
Most gardens / plantings don’t do well
Shrubs & hedges die
Between shovelling snow on top of them
And salt from the roadways / driveway

Loose rocks ... like River Rock look nice in the summer
But they get destroyed in the winter cuz of snow removal
And come Spring you have rocks spread out all over your grass
And end up having to buy top up every year to get back to the nice Summer look

Grass does generally pretty well
Maybe a bit of loss come Spring
But easy enough to fix by adding more top soil & grass seed
All ya gotta do is wait for it to regrow

Pavers are best
They look great
Are low maintenance
And tend to stay put year after year

As I see it, your options are replace both sides so they are the same
Leave SIDE A alone and get on with something else for SIDE B
Or dig out the pavers on SIDE A and integrate them into whatever other pavers you can buy to make a pattern using both types that matches on both sides of the driveway

That would be my choice.

And ya, it sucks somewhat

We had to do this once with a patio we expanded.
Had to move some earlier laid pavers around cuz we couldn’t buy anymore
In the end ... we created a design where the new pavers surrounded the old
(Sort of an inlay or rug effect look)
Was a bit of a pain
But was also the best solution for least amount of work / removal
But it ended up looking great
And was the cheapest option too overall
No regrets
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1145 posts
1203 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Over the years at different houses we done different things along our driveways

So based on my experience ...
Most gardens / plantings don’t do well
Shrubs & hedges die
Between shovelling snow on top of them
And salt from the roadways / driveway

Loose rocks ... like River Rock look nice in the summer
But they get destroyed in the winter cuz of snow removal
And come Spring you have rocks spread out all over your grass
And end up having to buy top up every year to get back to the nice Summer look

Grass does generally pretty well
Maybe a bit of loss come Spring
But easy enough to fix by adding more top soil & grass seed
All ya gotta do is wait for it to regrow

Pavers are best
They look great
Are low maintenance
And tend to stay put year after year

As I see it, your options are replace both sides so they are the same
Leave SIDE A alone and get on with something else for SIDE B
Or dig out the pavers on SIDE A and integrate them into whatever other pavers you can buy to make a pattern using both types that matches on both sides of the driveway

That would be my choice.

And ya, it sucks somewhat

We had to do this once with a patio we expanded.
Had to move some earlier laid pavers around cuz we couldn’t buy anymore
In the end ... we created a design where the new pavers surrounded the old
(Sort of an inlay or rug effect look)
Was a bit of a pain
But was also the best solution for least amount of work / removal
But it ended up looking great
And was the cheapest option too overall
No regrets
Thank you so much. I'm leaning towards moving pavers from the lower part (close to road) of the other side and filling in the top of the side shown in the picture and then integrating some new paver.
A bit of work, not perfect, but lowest maintenance and best for bball on the driveway.