Computers & Electronics

Cant Find A VOIP Service That Will Port Our Landline!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2020 8:07 am
[OP]
Newbie
May 2, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes

Cant Find A VOIP Service That Will Port Our Landline!

We want to cancel our Landline with Telus to save money and use a VOIP service and an ATA that our house phones will connect to. My wife really wants to keep our existing number so I have been checking numerous services to see if we can port to them. So far I haven't found one that will! Have checked Fongo, MagicJack, Nettalk.ca, CallCentric, Ring Central, Anveo and others. My preference based on reoprts here would be to use voip.ms. Unfortunately they don't have a way to check before opening an account and submitting a request.

It seems that for some reason numbers can't be ported from our small town in BC to VOIP providers. As I understand it the Canadian government requires landline and cell providers to port either way, but VOIP is not included in those regulations. We don't want to port to our cell phones.

I'm hoping that some of the bright minds here might know of a scheme that would allow me to do the porting. We really don't want to give up the number if there is some way around it.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rod
31 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21374 posts
2187 upvotes
Port to a pre-paid cell account, then over to voip.ms?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
3083 posts
327 upvotes
What he said ⬆. Check with other providers if it can be ported.
nwboater33 wrote: We want to cancel our Landline with Telus to save money and use a VOIP service and an ATA that our house phones will connect to. My wife really wants to keep our existing number so I have been checking numerous services to see if we can port to them. So far I haven't found one that will! Have checked Fongo, MagicJack, Nettalk.ca, CallCentric, Ring Central, Anveo and others. My preference based on reoprts here would be to use voip.ms. Unfortunately they don't have a way to check before opening an account and submitting a request.

It seems that for some reason numbers can't be ported from our small town in BC to VOIP providers. As I understand it the Canadian government requires landline and cell providers to port either way, but VOIP is not included in those regulations. We don't want to port to our cell phones.

I'm hoping that some of the bright minds here might know of a scheme that would allow me to do the porting. We really don't want to give up the number if there is some way around it.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rod
Go to Freephoneline.ca and check the porting procedure. Should not have any problems.

https://www.freephoneline.ca/

https://www.freephoneline.ca/optionalServices#
Transfer my Fongo Mobile/Fongo Home Phone/freephoneline phone number to Fongo Mobile or Fongo Home Phone

You can transfer your existing freephoneline/Fongo Mobile/Fongo Home Phone to Fongo Mobile or Fongo Home Phone in the same manner as you would for porting from any other carrier.
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... Home-Phone
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4949 posts
1637 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Voipms now has:

NOW WITH FREE PORTING*
Across U.S. & Canada for Local & Toll-free DIDs
[OP]
Newbie
May 2, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Port to a pre-paid cell account, then over to voip.ms?
Great idea - thanks. I will check out the various pre-paid plans. Need to be sure that I can port in and then port out to voip.ms. Will need to be sure I get a number that voip.ms will accept.
[OP]
Newbie
May 2, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes
callernamet wrote: What he said ⬆. Check with other providers if it can be ported.

Go to Freephoneline.ca and check the porting procedure. Should not have any problems.

https://www.freephoneline.ca/

https://www.freephoneline.ca/optionalServices#

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... Home-Phone
I checked with Fongo and won't take my number so I'm assuming that FPL also wont. But I guess you are suggesting that I port a new prepaid cell #.

Thanks.
[OP]
Newbie
May 2, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes
georvu wrote: Voipms now has:

NOW WITH FREE PORTING*
Across U.S. & Canada for Local & Toll-free DIDs
Looks like I have good timing! Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21374 posts
2187 upvotes
nwboater33 wrote: Great idea - thanks. I will check out the various pre-paid plans. Need to be sure that I can port in and then port out to voip.ms. Will need to be sure I get a number that voip.ms will accept.
I had no issues porting from Fido or Koodo to VoIP.ms previously. Granted it was a 416 number.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11387 upvotes
nwboater33 wrote: small town in BC
This is the issue. Sounds like no one supports your rate center.

voip.ms just added something like 1000 rate centers so you may have luck there.

Contact them if you don't want to make an account and see what they say.
[OP]
Newbie
May 2, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: I had no issues porting from Fido or Koodo to VoIP.ms previously. Granted it was a 416 number.
Thanks. I will check them out. Do they typically have prepaid cards at Walmart etc or is it best to setup the plan online or on a phone call?
[OP]
Newbie
May 2, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: This is the issue. Sounds like no one supports your rate center.

voip.ms just added something like 1000 rate centers so you may have luck there.

Contact them if you don't want to make an account and see what they say.
I just got off the phone with them and they can't port my number. So I will have to do the 2 stage plan with a temporary prepaid cell phone plan.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11387 upvotes
nwboater33 wrote: I just got off the phone with them and they can't port my number. So I will have to do the 2 stage plan with a temporary prepaid cell phone plan.
This still might not work because your rate center is the problem.
[OP]
Newbie
May 2, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: This still might not work because your rate center is the problem.
I am going to try to get a Vancouver cell phone number. That's the nearest big city.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25954 posts
11387 upvotes
nwboater33 wrote: I am going to try to get a Vancouver cell phone number. That's the nearest big city.
I thought you wanted to retain your existing number?
Or am I misunderstanding something.

Also it's not nearly as easy to use, but try les.net

Top