Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2370 posts
3079 upvotes
Quebec

Can't get 1Gbps over my wired network?

Previous house owner ran CAT6 pretty much in every room of the house and had an ubiquiti + switch to manage all of this, so he was pretty serious.

Hooked my PC to the wall plate and I'm getting 100Mbps, same thing with my laptop. Noticed it was a cat5e cable, read it might cause problems if it's not the same all the way through, bought a cat6 and same problem. If I plug my laptop directly into my router with either cables, I get full 1Gbps. My router is a TP-Link AX50.

Anything else I can try? Except running a new cable all the way directly to my PC instead of the wall plate?

Thanks.
24 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21165 posts
7547 upvotes
Toronto
You'll just have to troubleshoot each cable run. Cable is probably fine (albeit not guaranteed) but crappy connectors can give this problem.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12909 posts
7664 upvotes
Brampton
Check your network card.
Some of them have power saving features that reduces the phy rate to 100Mbps unless it's getting a PERFECT signal over CAT6.
Realtek and TP-Link NICs have burned me so many times for this because like you I chased it a nothing sandwich until I tried turning off the proprietary power saving feature on them.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2760 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
Try moving your laptop to other rooms and see if the Internet is faster in other rooms.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2370 posts
3079 upvotes
Quebec
tebore wrote: Check your network card.
Some of them have power saving features that reduces the phy rate to 100Mbps unless it's getting a PERFECT signal over CAT6.
Realtek and TP-Link NICs have burned me so many times for this because like you I chased it a nothing sandwich until I tried turning off the proprietary power saving feature on them.
Read that normally, I should see the 1Gbps option. Unless you're talking about another option?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
you should have 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex at the top. maybe look into updating your network card driver, assuming you have confirmed your network card supports 1gb or faster.
MonsieurX wrote: Read that normally, I should see the 1Gbps option. Unless you're talking about another option?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21165 posts
7547 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: you should have 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex at the top. maybe look into updating your network card driver, assuming you have confirmed your network card supports 1gb or faster.
The OP already said it's getting 1 Gbps with a direct connection to the router.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
Correct but it should still be appearing in that photo that he posted. If its not then that may be related to the issue which is why I suggested he should see if there is an updated driver for his network card.

Unless hes getting this when connected to the possible defective Ethernet in the wall, which could lead to bad connectors/incorrect termination. Either way its worth updating the drivers just to remove that as a possible culprit.

EugW wrote: The OP already said it's getting 1 Gbps with a direct connection to the router.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1524 posts
640 upvotes
Vancouver
EugW wrote: The OP already said it's getting 1 Gbps with a direct connection to the router.
sickcars wrote: Correct but it should still be appearing in that photo that he posted. If its not then that may be related to the issue which is why I suggested he should see if there is an updated driver for his network card.

Unless hes getting this when connected to the possible defective Ethernet in the wall, which could lead to bad connectors/incorrect termination. Either way its worth updating the drivers just to remove that as a possible culprit.
Correct if his network can do gig net he should be able to force the duplex to 1000/full or 1000/half. I would suggest checking the speed with multiple devices. Even a smartphone these days can do a gig net. It might not be full gig, but it should be at least 300Mbps. Also logging into his router might show the speed to each device is connected to. As a tech support I used to tell cust test direct to the router if the speed is good then there is some issue with the wiring they done and they are SOL if it is a custom setup they done coz we aren't T/s IT.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12909 posts
7664 upvotes
Brampton
Something's off.

It should show the 1000 options in the drop down.

However the setting I'm talking about comes in either one of these flavours for Broadcom

Energy Efficient Ethernet: Allows the network adapter to toggle power saving mode on or off when not in use, while still keeping the connection active.

Green Ethernet (Short Reach Mode): Reduces the adapter’s power consumption if the connected cable is detected under a certain length, such as 10 meters.

Auto Disable Gigabit: When enabled, any Ethernet connections will be limited to 100Mbps, which requires less power. You can choose to enable this at all times or, for laptops, just when a battery is being used.

That last setting especially will hide and disable the setting if it's on battery or something.
I just remember getting very frustrated. Broadcom drivers too are finicky. I have some in my servers and they are the most troublesome. Once they work don't touch the drivers again.

Does GbE work when it's plugged in and not while on battery? That might be why.

Otherwise you need to check the patches. Have you checked other wall plates? Might just be that one. If it is just that one. Post up pics and we might be able to help you.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
cat 5e cable should be able to still do 1gb unless the able or the connector was damaged in someway. i had bought some cat 6 cables of primecables and 1 of them would on connect at 100mb probably had damage or bad connection to 1 of the pairs if they don't all connect up then u only get 100
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21165 posts
7547 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: cat 5e cable should be able to still do 1gb unless the able or the connector was damaged in someway. i had bought some cat 6 cables of primecables and 1 of them would on connect at 100mb probably had damage or bad connection to 1 of the pairs if they don't all connect up then u only get 100
I have encountered this problem several times with cheap no-name / store-brand Ethernet cable. Even swapping the connectors several times didn't fix the problem. I have never encountered this problem with Belden cable, but Belden cable cost 3X as much, at least at that time.

tebore wrote: Something's off.

It should show the 1000 options in the drop down.
Will it show the 1000 options even if it can't negotiate 1000? I assume so, but I'm Just wondering.
Last edited by EugW on Nov 24th, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
EugW wrote: I have encountered this problem several times with cheap no-name / store-brand Ethernet cable. Even swapping the connectors several times didn't fix the problem. I have never encountered this problem with Belden cable, but Belden cable cost 3X as much, at least at that time.
prime cables offers a life time warranty so i called them and they sent a new one out for free very little questions asked.

one think i wish rj45 cables would do is make a better way to lock the cable in to the jack that little springy plastic thing is crap no matter how careful u are with it sooner or later its going to break.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
21165 posts
7547 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: prime cables offers a life time warranty so i called them and they sent a new one out for free very little questions asked.
Yeah, that's good, but OTOH it can be a big waste of time. At my workplace I asked the cable installers and they never go anywhere near cheap cable because the lower cost of cheap cable doesn't compensate for the extra labour costs of the time wasted during installation, or the increased frustration of troubleshooting down the line. It's less of an issue at home but it's a consideration. I guess it depends on how much you value your time, and if it's behind walls too. For my backyard I ran cheap no-name outdoor buried cable, because name brand outdoor burial rated cable was a small fortune, like 5X the cost of already higher priced cabling. In the house I ran a combination of good quality name-brand cable and cheap cable, the latter just because I had some of it left over.
Last edited by EugW on Nov 24th, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12909 posts
7664 upvotes
Brampton
EugW wrote: I have encountered this problem several times with cheap no-name / store-brand Ethernet cable. Even swapping the connectors several times didn't fix the problem. I have never encountered this problem with Belden cable, but Belden cable cost 3X as much, at least at that time.

Will it show the 1000 options even if it can't negotiate 1000? I assume so, but I'm Just wondering.
It should. It's an override. Unless some other setting was preventing that like that energy saver option. Once it's changed then the 1000mb shows up.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3762 posts
2443 upvotes
London
EugW wrote: Yeah, that's good, but OTOH it can be a big waste of time. At my workplace I asked the cable installers and they never go anywhere near cheap cable because the lower cost of cheap cable doesn't compensate for the extra labour costs of the time wasted during installation, or the increased frustration of troubleshooting down the line. It's less of an issue at home but it's a consideration. I guess it depends on how much you value your time, and if it's behind walls too. For my backyard I ran cheap no-name outdoor buried cable, because name brand outdoor burial rated cable was a small fortune, like 5X the cost of already higher priced cabling. In the house I ran a combination of good quality name-brand cable and cheap cable, the latter just because I had some of it left over.
any good it person is gonna have a cable tester and there gonna test the cable before the spend hours routing it all though a building.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12909 posts
7664 upvotes
Brampton
EugW wrote: Yeah, that's good, but OTOH it can be a big waste of time. At my workplace I asked the cable installers and they never go anywhere near cheap cable because the lower cost of cheap cable doesn't compensate for the extra labour costs of the time wasted during installation, or the increased frustration of troubleshooting down the line. It's less of an issue at home but it's a consideration. I guess it depends on how much you value your time, and if it's behind walls too. For my backyard I ran cheap no-name outdoor buried cable, because name brand outdoor burial rated cable was a small fortune, like 5X the cost of already higher priced cabling. In the house I ran a combination of good quality name-brand cable and cheap cable, the latter just because I had some of it left over.
I only use and quote out using Belden or Tyco back in the day.

All it takes is 1 hiccup to burn thru any savings of going no name.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5043 posts
2032 upvotes
Vancouver
Check the C6 conductors at the back of the RJ45 jacks at the wall plates in the rooms and a the central patch panel. The twists of the pair should be tight and consistent right up to the point they are terminated into the back of the jack. If the two conductor pair has been pulled apart for longer than a twist or two re-terminate that pair or the entire jack.

Each of the 4 pairs has a unique twist rate so it is important that the twist rate neither be increased or decreased.

Check that the colours of the pair matches the colour code label on the side of the jack. Take pictures as you go along so you can reference and compare later.

It could be that a mix of 568A and 568B coded jacks got mixed together and also that a pair simply did not get terminated properly. Possibly your router/switch has a function to auto-connect using the wrong pairs but this is slowing it down.

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1700 posts
1168 upvotes
Barrie ON
MonsieurX wrote:
Hooked my PC to the wall plate and I'm getting 100Mbps, same thing with my laptop. Noticed it was a cat5e cable, read it might cause problems if it's not the same all the way through, bought a cat6 and same problem. If I plug my laptop directly into my router with either cables, I get full 1Gbps. My router is a TP-Link AX50.
Ethernet cable has 4 pairs (i.e. 8 wires) within the cable.

You can get 100 Mbps using just 2 pairs, but 1Gbps requires all 4 pairs.

When wiring a house, somtimes only 2 pair are wired to the Ethernet jack, and the other 2 pair are wired to a phone jack, which is often placed on the same wall plate.

Do you happen to have a phone jack on the wall plate? You really need to use a cable checker to verify that all 4 pairs have been terminated properly. You should also check that your patch cords at the switch and at the laptop have all 4 pairs.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20473 posts
4233 upvotes
Toronto
Have you tried any other devices over the in-wall cables? Are they able to get full speed? Or are they also limited?