• Aug 20th, 2021 3:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11316 posts
1363 upvotes
GVR

Can't get Canon from B&H anymore?

I was looking at the EOS R5 for a while, especially with the current pricing+exchange rates, B+H was a great option.

But now it looks like the page restriction says item cannot be shipped to Canada. It definitely didn't before and I don't think any canon product has ever been restricted?

Any idea why this change? Is it temporary? Assuming border openings, if I shipped it across border and picked it up does Canon still honor north american warranty?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6534 posts
3114 upvotes
Germany
Kaitlyn wrote: I was looking at the EOS R5 for a while, especially with the current pricing+exchange rates, B+H was a great option.

But now it looks like the page restriction says item cannot be shipped to Canada. It definitely didn't before and I don't think any canon product has ever been restricted?

Any idea why this change? Is it temporary? Assuming border openings, if I shipped it across border and picked it up does Canon still honor north american warranty?
It looks like this restriction is in place for all the high-end bodies (EOS R5, EOS R6, A7R IV, etc.). I'm not sure why that restriction is in place, but off the top of my head:

1. Manufacturer restrictions to avoid arbitrage when exchange rates are low.

2. Manufacturer restrictions to ensure domestic markets are supplied when supplies are low.

3. BH not wanting to ship these bodies to Canada.

My wager is a mixture of #1 and #2. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to do this in other sectors (cars, televisions, etc.).
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
10991 posts
9187 upvotes
Winnipeg
might be supply chain issues.. ie. Chip shortage worldwide.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Aug 15, 2018
596 posts
365 upvotes
Same for Voigtlander lenses. I bought one a year ago and it was fine. Now they show the not shipping to Canada restriction.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6053 posts
1681 upvotes
Dealer/distributor agreement that they cannot export out of their own territory.
Jun 21, 2012
4 posts
For some companies like Nikon, Canon, Tamron, the selling of non-regional gear is considered grey market products. So even if you did manage to say go to the B&H store in New York in person and buy a Nikon camera and bring it back to Canada, the warranty won't be recognized by Nikon Canada. It is considered a grey market product. Not only is the warranty not recognized but Nikon Canada will refuse to service the camera after the warranty period, even if you are willing to pay for the servicing. You would have to send the camera to a Nikon USA service center.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6229 posts
4096 upvotes
SW ON
2006commuter wrote: For some companies like Nikon, Canon, Tamron, the selling of non-regional gear is considered grey market products. So even if you did manage to say go to the B&H store in New York in person and buy a Nikon camera and bring it back to Canada, the warranty won't be recognized by Nikon Canada. It is considered a grey market product. Not only is the warranty not recognized but Nikon Canada will refuse to service the camera after the warranty period, even if you are willing to pay for the servicing. You would have to send the camera to a Nikon USA service center.
While it was true for Nikon, I think, it was never the case for Canon. And the OP is about Canon. Canon's warranty was always dual USA-Canada. And I am the living proof of it. I serviced USA-purchased Canon products at the Mississauga Canon facility for free under warranty. Canon Canada was a subsidiary of Canon USA. Maybe it still is but what's described is this thread sounds like a nightmare to me. End of an era.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1046 posts
682 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote: While it was true for Nikon, I think, it was never the case for Canon. And the OP is about Canon. Canon's warranty was always dual USA-Canada. And I am the living proof of it. I serviced USA-purchased Canon products at the Mississauga Canon facility for free under warranty. Canon Canada was a subsidiary of Canon USA. Maybe it still is but what's described is this thread sounds like a nightmare to me. End of an era.
Canon Canada is still under Canon USA but never endorse sales from south border. Probably too much Canadian sale being affected and pushing US counter side to enforce policy.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6229 posts
4096 upvotes
SW ON
Inclemental wrote: Canon Canada is still under Canon USA but never endorse sales from south border. Probably too much Canadian sale being affected and pushing US counter side to enforce policy.
They never endorsed such sales but never blocked them. They blocked sales in the reverse direction, too. It was never an issue. For some reason it is now.