• Jun 22nd, 2021 12:06 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10995 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish

Can't get Canon from B&H anymore?

I was looking at the EOS R5 for a while, especially with the current pricing+exchange rates, B+H was a great option.

But now it looks like the page restriction says item cannot be shipped to Canada. It definitely didn't before and I don't think any canon product has ever been restricted?

Any idea why this change? Is it temporary? Assuming border openings, if I shipped it across border and picked it up does Canon still honor north american warranty?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5559 posts
2501 upvotes
Ancaster
Kaitlyn wrote: I was looking at the EOS R5 for a while, especially with the current pricing+exchange rates, B+H was a great option.

But now it looks like the page restriction says item cannot be shipped to Canada. It definitely didn't before and I don't think any canon product has ever been restricted?

Any idea why this change? Is it temporary? Assuming border openings, if I shipped it across border and picked it up does Canon still honor north american warranty?
It looks like this restriction is in place for all the high-end bodies (EOS R5, EOS R6, A7R IV, etc.). I'm not sure why that restriction is in place, but off the top of my head:

1. Manufacturer restrictions to avoid arbitrage when exchange rates are low.

2. Manufacturer restrictions to ensure domestic markets are supplied when supplies are low.

3. BH not wanting to ship these bodies to Canada.

My wager is a mixture of #1 and #2. It's not uncommon for manufacturers to do this in other sectors (cars, televisions, etc.).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
8095 posts
5317 upvotes
Winnipeg
might be supply chain issues.. ie. Chip shortage worldwide.
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Aug 15, 2018
285 posts
103 upvotes
Same for Voigtlander lenses. I bought one a year ago and it was fine. Now they show the not shipping to Canada restriction.
Penalty Box
Oct 8, 2005
5656 posts
1373 upvotes
Dealer/distributor agreement that they cannot export out of their own territory.
Jun 21, 2012
2 posts
For some companies like Nikon, Canon, Tamron, the selling of non-regional gear is considered grey market products. So even if you did manage to say go to the B&H store in New York in person and buy a Nikon camera and bring it back to Canada, the warranty won't be recognized by Nikon Canada. It is considered a grey market product. Not only is the warranty not recognized but Nikon Canada will refuse to service the camera after the warranty period, even if you are willing to pay for the servicing. You would have to send the camera to a Nikon USA service center.