Students

Can't get transcript am I screwed?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2022 11:05 am
Sep 23, 2011
246 posts
163 upvotes
Mississauga
ADenariusSaved wrote: Whoa, 8 year thread bump! Congrats on getting out of that quagmire, sorry it had to be through death.
You did compsci?
Thanks! I started in software engineering but switched into compsci on my return.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
moevsworld wrote: Thanks! I started in software engineering but switched into compsci on my return.
Always been curious, what's the difference between those two? I was at Waterloo ironically, but I did a science degree.
Sep 23, 2011
246 posts
163 upvotes
Mississauga
ADenariusSaved wrote: Always been curious, what's the difference between those two? I was at Waterloo ironically, but I did a science degree.
The biggest difference to me was that I didn’t have to take the engineering foundation courses. Because software engineering is an accredited engineering degree, almost all of first year was irrelevant to work as a software engineer. Other than that course selection was pretty similar. Little more math in cs in 3rd/4th yr vs software eng
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2020
7187 posts
5619 upvotes
Thornhill
moevsworld wrote: The biggest difference to me was that I didn’t have to take the engineering foundation courses. Because software engineering is an accredited engineering degree, almost all of first year was irrelevant to work as a software engineer. Other than that course selection was pretty similar. Little more math in cs in 3rd/4th yr vs software eng
Sounds like I would have liked soft eng better just from the accreditation. But those are tough to get in, I'm too old now in any case, CS can be accelerated but engineering can't. I don't like theoretical math lol...
Sep 28, 2003
899 posts
527 upvotes
ADenariusSaved wrote: Sounds like I would have liked soft eng better just from the accreditation. But those are tough to get in, I'm too old now in any case, CS can be accelerated but engineering can't. I don't like theoretical math lol...
OP is right about the first year being a lot of engineering foundation. There are a few courses that are relevant to software but there will be a bunch of other courses like physics and calculus that might not be useful in a typical software job. It continues throughout the program though with courses on electronics (some relevant because of logic gates but others on how transistors function). Upper year courses have less programming related courses and focus more on project management with topics on redundancy and verification.

The accreditation isn't really that huge of deal. Engineering students get a degree like other programs plus the iron ring. It's up to the student whether they apply to be an Engineer in Training and work towards a P.Eng, which you don't really need unless you want to call yourself an engineer and pay dues. Most software devs are CS grads and it's rare to see one with a B.Eng.