Computers & Electronics

Can't port Bell landline number to Rogers?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2021 5:53 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough

Can't port Bell landline number to Rogers?

Trying to switch over to Rogers from Bell, except for some unknown reason Bell would not release my number to Rogers. I'm not moving houses, the name on the accounts are exactly the same. Tried to switch about 2-3 years ago, same issue. Ended up dropping everything but the phone line (which unbundled is like $50/month). I somehow wound up back with Bell but now Rogers is offering a much better TV/Internet/Phone bundle deal. However, the same issue with porting the landline number has come up again. No one can give me a straight answer on why this is happening. Rogers says Bell owns the line and won't release it. I called Bell and they said Rogers has to request it (I told them they did that, and they just gave me some random excuse). So now I'm stuck unless I give in an change phone numbers...

Anyone have insight into why Bell won't release my landline number?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1313 upvotes
London
seems odd was able to switch a bell landline over to start.ca voip last year it was no issues. i had to give start a copy of the last bill from bell witch showed the name and address on the account took like 2 weeks or 10 working days i can't recall but everything switched over no problem.

if u have to try escalating to both the office of the president at bell and rogers there should be nothing stopping u from doing it sounds like some at one of the companies just don't know what there doing.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
aaron158 wrote: try escalating to both the office of the president at bell and rogers there should be nothing stopping u from doing it sounds like some at one of the companies just don't know what there doing.
Does anyone ever know what they are doing at Bell or Rogers? -.-''' Thanks for the input, I may have to try escalating tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2534 posts
1313 upvotes
London
k3nji wrote: Does anyone ever know what they are doing at Bell or Rogers? -.-''' Thanks for the input, I may have to try escalating tomorrow.
ya that know how to suck money out of your wallet in larger and larger amounts every year. bells c/s are so awful that anytime u call in to make any change they always some how screw it up and sneak something on there u didn't want.
Aug 16, 2009
66 posts
5 upvotes
k3nji wrote:
I just ported my parents LAN line from Bell to Zoomer WHP last month. I called Bell to confirm their account # and called Zoomer to initiate the process.
Bell drags it's feet so it took 3 business days to complete
Sep 30, 2015
234 posts
58 upvotes
York, ON
I have the Rogers Ignite TV bundle which includes home phone. Beaware that all services, TV, phone are on the ip, and depends on the Rogers internet service. Over the last few weeks, there has bee 2 occasions of 2 hour internet outage, and I cannot use my house phone. I have a cell phone which I can use during this outage, or else I am stuck. If your Bell phone line is an actual landline, consider keeping it if you require security (without the use of cell phone), or you need phone service to do work or trading on the stock market.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1522 posts
334 upvotes
Montreal
k3nji wrote: Trying to switch over to Rogers from Bell, except for some unknown reason Bell would not release my number to Rogers. I'm not moving houses, the name on the accounts are exactly the same. Tried to switch about 2-3 years ago, same issue. Ended up dropping everything but the phone line (which unbundled is like $50/month). I somehow wound up back with Bell but now Rogers is offering a much better TV/Internet/Phone bundle deal. However, the same issue with porting the landline number has come up again. No one can give me a straight answer on why this is happening. Rogers says Bell owns the line and won't release it. I called Bell and they said Rogers has to request it (I told them they did that, and they just gave me some random excuse). So now I'm stuck unless I give in an change phone numbers...

Land to cell can take up to a week
call your port in provider and have them give you the date..it will show on the request
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4524 posts
1335 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
dont they tell you why the number transfer goes thru or not? i thought they have to tell you buy law?
Hi
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
krist8 wrote: I have the Rogers Ignite TV bundle which includes home phone. Beaware that all services, TV, phone are on the ip, and depends on the Rogers internet service. Over the last few weeks, there has bee 2 occasions of 2 hour internet outage, and I cannot use my house phone. I have a cell phone which I can use during this outage, or else I am stuck. If your Bell phone line is an actual landline, consider keeping it if you require security (without the use of cell phone), or you need phone service to do work or trading on the stock market.
Good to know, I will definitely consider that. Thanks!
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
GoodFellaz wrote: dont they tell you why the number transfer goes thru or not? i thought they have to tell you buy law?
I thought so too.... but I never got an explanation. All they said was that they weren't able to get the number because of something on Bell's end.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
gogoblender wrote: Land to cell can take up to a week
call your port in provider and have them give you the date..it will show on the request
They straight up said they couldn't get the number :(
Nov 24, 2007
205 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe try porting it to a temporary cell/sim pay as u go, and from there back to a land line?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11878 posts
8134 upvotes
Edmonton
I would start investigating a complaint with the CRTC
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

As far as I've read, even though Rogers service is based on the Internet connection, it's NOT a VOIP number, so you should be able to port it without an issue.

C
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1522 posts
334 upvotes
Montreal
k3nji wrote: They straight up said they couldn't get the number :(
which company do you want to port to, Rogers?
the bell line MUST be active for it to be ported to another company
Last edited by gogoblender on Feb 19th, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2012
1522 posts
334 upvotes
Montreal
As long as the Bell line is active you have the possibility of having it ported to another provider
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1209 posts
1218 upvotes
Markham, ON
There are certain number that can't be ported.

FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1209 posts
1218 upvotes
Markham, ON
What you can try is porting your home # to a wireless provider (if this works) and then porting to Rogers.
FIDO, Freedom Mobile, Koodo, Public Mobile, TELUS customer.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
gogoblender wrote: which company do you want to port to, Rogers?
the bell line MUST be active for it to be ported to another company
Wanting to go from Bell to Rogers. And yes, it's definitely active.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
mrtin905 wrote: There are certain number that can't be ported.
I guess I'm in option number 2 there :(
[OP]
Nov 6, 2008
52 posts
24 upvotes
Scarborough
mrtin905 wrote: What you can try is porting your home # to a wireless provider (if this works) and then porting to Rogers.
I may try that, thanks for the suggestion!