• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2017 3:12 am
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
985 posts
328 upvotes
Charlottetown

Can't receive text messages with pictures from iPhones

Just wondering if anyone with an android phone has problems receiving picture text messages from people with iPhones. My wife has an iPhone and can't sent me pictures but I can send to her. I highly doubt it is any device/setting problem because it has been going on for a couple of years and we've both been through 3 new devices since then, all stock settings latest updates etc. has got to be a carrier problem somehow I'd think. She's on Telus I'm on Virgin mobile. She currently has a brand new iPhone SE and I have a brand new Moto g4 play both basically with factory default settings/apps. When she sends me a text with a pic it basically just disappears, never gets to me and doesn't fail or give any error or problem on her phone.

I've done a bit of searching online and some people say it can be if you used to have an iPhone and switched to Andorid your number could still be tied to iMessage but I never had an iPhone. Also I believe the issue is not just with my wife's iPhone but other iPhone's sending to me as well.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18833 posts
6027 upvotes
Toronto
Is data enabled on the phone under the settings menu? Turning on the data option is required for sending pictures via MMS.
Last edited by audit13 on Dec 29th, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 10, 2011
434 posts
84 upvotes
Burnaby
I have that problem a lot whether its iPhone to Android or even Android to Android. I'm in a bad cell phone area so I think it just gets lost in the cellular world. Have you thought about downloading whatsapp for example. I know that I get all my pictures on cellular and wifi.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20962 posts
10474 upvotes
Oakville
People in this thread suggested trying a different messaging app on your phone, but that seems dumb, and didn't work for another person any way. One other person had the problem be fixed by cropping the photo on the iPhone before texting it - which also seems crazy to me.
Apr 9, 2012
472 posts
392 upvotes
What size is the image file that the person is trying to send to you? My guess is that the image file size is too large for your text message service for device MMS settings. Do either of your devices MMS text settings OR your cell providers have a restriction on image file size for text messages? Have you checked your or their device MMS settings?

People have tried to send me too large files via text & I never get them until I tell them to make them smaller but I've set a restriction of text size to accept, as otherwise, lazy people that won't resize their image files to be A LOT smaller, just eat up & waste my data & time sending me crap images anyway. So check your cell provider & your device settings for text & image file sizes. Assuming that you (pl) have text packages that include MMS messaging? Have you or they checked your service providers for online Help or FAQs or contacted their support regarding the situation?

Experiment with different image file sizes, from really small, on up until you figure out what you want or can use. The device photo gallery app can make a copy of a smaller version of an image file & likely even be "Shared" from the gallery app via text message or you can download a new gallery app to resize images & share from the gallery app via text messaging.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2010
985 posts
328 upvotes
Charlottetown
I'm switching from Virgin to Fido in a few days, they had a better promo anyway. I'm going to see if I have the same problem on fido network and go from there if so. I have a feeling that it is a virgin mobile issue
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4223 posts
1895 upvotes
Quebec
if data is on, on the phone and its not blocked by your carrier, make sure MMS (multimedia message system) is not disabled for some reason on the phone itself like sickcars say.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)