Off Topic

Can't visit dieing grandmother in hospital... But enjoy your shopping at Walmart and Costco.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10815 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto

Can't visit dieing grandmother in hospital... But enjoy your shopping at Walmart and Costco.

I'm sorry for this rant but I'm extremely pissed off right now.

Sickening. My grandmother was brought to the hospital at 8am this morning and I called to ask if I could visit. On the phone the worker basically said it's fine. I drive 45 minutes to get here and am told no.

I laugh now at ford's announcement saying to support local businesses, don't buy on amazon this Christmas.

Sorry everyone that may disagree with me, but if I can't even visit a dieing grandparent, how the **** is it ok (in ford's mind) to allow major retailers and big box stores to stay open. By wearing a mask? Lol.

Why not just lock down everything and keep only grocery stores open again? When you announce many cases came from restaurants but your going to allow mobile ordering, your entire plan is flawed.

Now I just don't even care about the rules anymore. If people want to come over sure. Come over. Why not? If you can stand in a line with several hundred people or like me, have to work every day with 250+ but I can't visit a relative in the hospital then something is very very wrong.
103 replies
Oct 6, 2020
189 posts
302 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: I'm sorry for this rant but I'm extremely pissed off right now.

Sickening. My grandmother was brought to the hospital at 8am this morning and I called to ask if I could visit. On the phone the worker basically said it's fine. I drive 45 minutes to get here and am told no.

I laugh now at ford's announcement saying to support local businesses, don't buy on amazon this Christmas.

Sorry everyone that may disagree with me, but if I can't even visit a dieing grandparent, how the **** is it ok (in ford's mind) to allow major retailers and big box stores to stay open. By wearing a mask? Lol.

Why not just lock down everything and keep only grocery stores open again? When you announce many cases came from restaurants but your going to allow mobile ordering, your entire plan is flawed.

Now I just don't even care about the rules anymore. If people want to come over sure. Come over. Why not? If you can stand in a line with several hundred people or like me, have to work every day with 250+ but I can't visit a relative in the hospital then something is very very wrong.
WOWWWWW soooo edgy!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13685 posts
8697 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hospitals only allow 1 family member in each day. But yeah, sucks!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4453 posts
3508 upvotes
I understand your frustration but this is exactly why it's important people be responsible (and we know many aren't) to reduce cases. it's not just deaths but ripples through the entire healthcare system and LTC.
Jun 4, 2013
641 posts
225 upvotes
Vancouver
Thank you! I will still go to Wal Mart and other places that's open.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10815 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: I understand your frustration but this is exactly why it's important people be responsible (and we know many aren't) to reduce cases. it's not just deaths but ripples through the entire healthcare system and LTC.
They didn't allow me, I saw another guy before me who said his father was here and they wouldn't let his own son see him.

And to be honest I do follow all the rules. Only thing we do is go to work and come home. Most shipping is done on amazon or the grocery store right now. I'm not having people over really either unless it's a requirement.

I just don't get the justification that I can't visit a dieing grandparent but I can go wait in massive lines at Costco or anywhere else.

Theres no sense to it. If Toronto is locked down as well as peel then those people are going to go east and west to do what they want.

Either lock the whole country down or don't.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1623 posts
1849 upvotes
Hope your Grandmother gets better soon.

Faced the same situation a few weeks ago with a relative who had a fall. They limited access until it was determined that there wasn't much that they could do and allowed a couple of people at a time to visit.

I hope that isn't the case and that you will be able to take her home shortly.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4453 posts
3508 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: They didn't allow me, I saw another guy before me who said his father was here and they wouldn't let his own son see him.

And to be honest I do follow all the rules. Only thing we do is go to work and come home. Most shipping is done on amazon or the grocery store right now. I'm not having people over really either unless it's a requirement.

I just don't get the justification that I can't visit a dieing grandparent but I can go wait in massive lines at Costco or anywhere else.

Theres no sense to it. If Toronto is locked down as well as peel then those people are going to go east and west to do what they want.

you can't go in hospital or LTC because they're home to most vulnerable so there's additional precautions/restrictions to prevent infections both ways as an outbreak in a LTC or hospital is a lot worse.

it's a whole different (higher) risk in hospitals and LTC than going out which is why visitation is restricted with so many cases out there now, they're trying to prevent outbreaks at hospitals and LTC. I mean you can't argue the risk is higher for those in hospitals/LTC and they need to reduce visitors who can introduce covid19 to vulnerable. same reason why LTC staff have to be tested every 14 days while general public doesn't

you can't really compare say bestbuy/costco and risk to those there versus those already hospitalized or in LTC in terms of risk to health and seriousness if an outbreak were to occur at a bestbuy vs hospital
Last edited by StatsGuy on Nov 25th, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6336 posts
2077 upvotes
Vancouver
Bell Canada STORES was also deemed as "essential" so they are open, in case you want to get a new phone and so forth( 'cause doing it online is impossible...eh) yet restaurant owners are out of jobs, out of $10,000s and getting fined more if they choose to remain open.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10815 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: you can't go in hospital or LTC because they're home to most vulnerable so there's additional precautions/restrictions to prevent infections both ways as an outbreak in a LTC or hospital is a lot worse.

it's a whole different (higher) risk in hospitals and LTC than going out which is why visitation is restricted with so many cases out there now, they're trying to prevent outbreaks at hospitals and LTC. I mean you can't argue the risk is higher for those in hospitals/LTC and they need to reduce visitors who can introduce covid19 to vulnerable. same reason why LTC staff have to be tested every 14 days while general public doesn't

you can't really compare say bestbuy/costco and risk to those there versus those already hospitalized or in LTC in terms of risk to health and seriousness if an outbreak were to occur at a bestbuy vs hospital
I get it. It's just a horrible shitty situation.

Hopefully these apparent 2 stage vaccines come sooner than later.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11729 posts
7992 upvotes
Edmonton
XtremeModder wrote: They didn't allow me, I saw another guy before me who said his father was here and they wouldn't let his own son see him.

How many outbreaks and deaths do we see each week in hospitals and nursing homes?

Now, how many outbreaks and deaths do we see each week in Walmarts?

Here’s a hint. The answer to the first question is a lot higher than the answer to the second question. The people in the hospital are often already high risk patients. The staff in a hospital are high risk, and critical to trying to keep things running.

It really sucks that you can’t see your grandmother. I get that. I couldn’t go in with my son for his post-surgical follow up recently even though we weren’t in any kind of lockdown here. I’ve got a friend whose spouse is in cardiac care who hasn’t been able to see him for a week, and he may need surgery. But you want your loved ones to stay as healthy as they can, and you want their caretakers to stay as healthy as you can.

People in Walmart are on their own. If you’re at high risk, you can avoid going into the store. People don’t have the same options for avoiding the hospital, typically.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35085 posts
21053 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hope your grandma gets better.
Definitely not a good time to be hospitalized, as there's no flexibility with visitation.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4453 posts
3508 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: I get it. It's just a horrible shitty situation.

Hopefully these apparent 2 stage vaccines come sooner than later.
i am sorry for your grandmother and understand the frustration especially when you have idiots like that BBQ freakshow guy holding rallies indoors at his restaurant shouting bbq is essential and you can't even visit your grandmother in hospital

if it's even a tiny bit of comfort, know that since you can't visit her, others are same with their loved ones and it's for the benefit of your grandmother that others can't also visit their loves ones so your grandmother will be at lower risk of getting covid in the hospital
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14125 posts
3927 upvotes
Montréal
Can you give her a tablet (hospital can disinfect it?) and do facetime or something?

Hope she gets better. This whole year sucks.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1225 posts
192 upvotes
Its about time we showed the system a finger and seriously start thinking about getting off this train wreck of money, profits, debts, and interest society.

the evil human race needs a reset and it is about time it becomes a slave for the greater good of humanity.

It is true, the destiny is in all of our hands, and so what are we going to chose will determine the greater good of the future.

Please we can all stop this shit show by being vigilante and not bending over for the sake of $$$$...

Even the news is mostly full of shit nowadays, and even the shittiest news wants to make headlines because it wants to generate $$$$. It wants to benefit because it is trying to shape the way people think.

In every piece of shit out there, all someone is thinking about is $$$$ because the numbers are so out of whack, we literally have sold ourselves to the clowns that want to keep generating $$$$....

There is no amount of $$$$ that can buy a human life or determine the value of a human being, please let us stop this shit show.

Just look out there, these clowns want to replace the power of a humanity by actually replacing us with virtual people and actually tempting us to believe into it. Like how stupid do u have to be to seriously buy into this crap.

All for numbers and $$$$ so that the clowns can keep increasing and faking their numbers and values out of their arses, and determining the values of our livelihoods.

I hope your loved one feels better and you are able to pay a visit.

The world needs to get its shit together, and the only way to do is by all of us together, and not some few clowns that only think about their numbers and themselves while determining what is right and wrong for everyone else.

Thanks
Last edited by theplayground on Nov 25th, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
$52.xx all in..
Dec 26, 2007
257 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
I extend my sympathies for your grandmother and am sorry to hear that you can not visit her during this time.

I don't know what to say about Walmart. Why the government favors Walmart makes no sense for the overall health of community and the local economy.

Maybe Walmarts have hvac systems with hepa filtration that is considered to be superior to other stores but I seriously doubt they do.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1534 posts
901 upvotes
NOYB
People are still arguing on which businesses should be open or closed in other subs.

However, being unable to visit loved ones in hospital is very frustrating no matter what.

Ya I hope she gets better too..
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Self banning from the PRC sub, after a member with civility was banned from it without reasonable cause since 11/09/2020
Banned
Nov 9, 2020
19 posts
10 upvotes
Walmart and Costco are grocery, so no, they have to open. But you are right, people still want to fly to USA to vacation, and in another thread people discuss about the loophole to fly USA and transport rv down to snow birding.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6336 posts
2077 upvotes
Vancouver
dasvedania wrote: Walmart and Costco are grocery, so no, they have to open. But you are right, people still want to fly to USA to vacation, and in another thread people discuss about the loophole to fly USA and transport rv down to snow birding.
Loophole...
Walmart is not really a grocery store. 3/4 if clothing, homeware,etc. Walmart should be required to only have the grocery portion open, instead people end up shopping for everything.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10815 posts
1955 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Can you give her a tablet (hospital can disinfect it?) and do facetime or something?

Hope she gets better. This whole year sucks.
No, she's 97 and doesn't even know where she is. Shes hallucinating crazy shit and the doctors are trying to figure out why, as this time it's not medication doing it.

Sorry for my rant earlier everyone, it just really pisses me off when I see people likey landlord having his parties, that bbq thing in Toronto, etc etc

The hospital said I could go tomorrow as she's not speaking any sense at all. So if I go and say I'm an interpreter that I could go.

Its just hard to deal with. Especially with all of this crap going on. I think the reason I was so pissed off in the first place is because when I called to ask about visiting they said it wasn't a problem and I could come right in.