Sports & Recreation

*Canucks Talk on RFD*

Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7968 upvotes
joker012 wrote: :eek: What's going on. 8-2 with 4 minutes left.
Ouch it's a blowout. Luongo and Sanford having off days.
Dec 21, 2006
247 posts
Vancouver Island
wow we got destroyed by philly, hopefully the boys wake up for friday
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
28 upvotes
What an ugly game. Hopefully they regroup before they play the home and home with the Oil.

To add insult to injury the Flyers tough guy Boulerice takes out Kesler with unprovoked cross check to the face. That was totally uncalled for and the game was out of reach :mad: Anyone know how long Kes will be out for?

If anyone missed it: http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=271010022
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
MVP1 wrote: What an ugly game. Hopefully they regroup before they play the home and home with the Oil.

To add insult to injury the Flyers tough guy Boulerice takes out Kesler with unprovoked cross check to the face. That was totally uncalled for and the game was out of reach :mad: Anyone know how long Kes will be out for?

If anyone missed it: http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=271010022
I guess technically it was adding injury to insult. But anyway, what a stupid reaction by Boulerice. You could tell even he didn't really know what he was in the process of doing since right after he did it he started to shake off his gloves - like a player would be in any position to fight after receiving a cross-check to the facet?

He said he was reacting to Kesler taking a run at (and missing) one of his teammates behind the net. Fine, then drop the gloves and send the message that way. To cross-check a guy like that shows a major lack of control on the ice and needs to be penalized severely. 10 games minimum.

I'm glad I haven't heard anybody (outside the media) blaming Ben Eager for hitting Sanford. Sanford was heading back to the net but he misplayed the puck and turned back behind the net into the path of Eager. There's not a lot of room back there to avoid him and Eager did try to squeeze by. But leave it to the media to use inflammatory phrases like "ran him over". :rolleyes:

Also, Matt Cooke should be more careful who he grabs on to in a scrum.
Banned
Feb 11, 2005
1828 posts
35 upvotes
VanCity
The Canucks need an enforcer now! Cowan and Isbister will not cut it...get rid of three of Burrows/Cooke/Linden/Isbister/Cowan now! Get a guy that will give more room and courage to the likes of Naslund and Sedins.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
28 upvotes
I agree that they need a tough guy. Teams are also always running Luongo. Nonis needs to make a trade or sign someone. The Canucks need to get back on track and forget about the Flyers game. The home and home with the Oil will show a lot about this team's character.
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7968 upvotes
Shannon got sent to Manitoba... guess parking himself in front of the net on the PP isn't cutting it.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Well you definitely can't say the NHL isn't getting tougher with their punishments. Tied for the longest suspension in NHL history. And this incident is far from the worst act in the history of the NHL. Everything below it on that list at the bottom was more serious - probably the next 20 as well.

Not that I'm complaining though. I'm glad to see the NHL get serious with these suspensions.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=220462

[QUOTE]National Hockey League disciplinarian Colin Campbell has handed Flyers forward Jesse Boulerice a 25-game suspension for cross-checking Vancouver Canucks centre Ryan Kesler in the head Wednesday night.

It's the longest suspension handed out in NHL history for an on-ice incident. New York Islanders forward Chris Simon also got 25 games for his two-handed slash to the face of Ryan Hollweg of the New York Rangers last season.

The punishment comes exactly two weeks after the league handed Flyers forward Steve Downie a 20-game suspension for his hit on Ottawa Senators forward Dean McAmmond in the pre-season.

The incident happened in the third period of Philadelphia's 8-2 win at GM Place.

With the Flyers up 7-2 at the time, Boulerice cross-checked Kesler in the face after the Canuck tried to hit Flyers defenceman Randy Jones behind the net.

Kesler lay on the ice for a few minutes before being helped to the Vancouver bench. He didn't return to the game. Boulerice received a match penalty and game misconduct.

"I reacted in a bad way - the wrong way," Boulerice said following the game. "I wanted to give him a hit back."

Kesler practised Thursday and expects to play tonight when the Canucks face the Oilers.

"We're by no means condoning what happened," Flyers coach John Stevens said after the team announced the suspension. "He's going to have to stand up and pay the price."

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren echoed the same sentiment.

''I think we're in agreement that there's no place in the game for this anymore. I do think it was an isolated incident. Jesse lost his composure, lost his cool. It's something that's not the right thing to do, at any time,'' Holmgren said.

''I expected the worst,'' said Holmgren. ''Is 25 the worst? It's pretty close to what I expected.''

Boulerice, 29, signed with the Flyers after completing a tryout in the exhibition season.

This is not the first time Boulerice has been suspended for a stick foul. When he played junior hockey, he was suspended for one year by the Ontario Hockey League for hitting Andrew Long in the face with a baseball-style swing of his stick. Boulerice also faced assault charges in that case.

LONGEST NHL SUSPENSIONS FOR ON-ICE VIOLENCE

25 games - Jesse Boulerice, Philadelphia, Oct. 12, 2007, for cross-checking Vancouver centre Ryan Kesler across the face in a game on Oct. 10.

25 games - Chris Simon, New York Islanders, March 11, 2007, for the rest of the regular season (15 games) and playoffs for his two-handed stick attack to the face of New York Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg. Since Islanders played only five playoff games, suspension extended to first five games of 2007-08.

23 games - Marty McSorley, Boston, Feb. 2000, for knocking out Vancouver's Donald Brashear with a stick-swinging hit. On Nov. 7, 2000, the suspension was extended by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to Feb. 20, 2001.

23 games - Gordie Dwyer, Tampa Bay, Sept. 19, 2000, for abusing officials and coming out of the penalty box to fight in an exhibition game against Washington.

21 games - Dale Hunter, Washington, May 1993, for a blindside check of Pierre Turgeon of the N.Y. Islanders after a goal in a playoff game.

20 games - Steve Downie, Philadelphia, Sept. 28, 2007, for leaving his feet to deliver a deliberate hit to the head Ottawa forward Dean McAmmond in a pre-season game Sept. 25.

20 games - Todd Bertuzzi, Vancouver, March 11, 2004, for his sucker-punch of Colorado forward Steve Moore on March 8. Bertuzzi's suspension was for 13 regular season games, plus playoffs. Bertuzzi was reinstated 17 months later, after the year-long lockout.

20 games - Tom Lysiak, Chicago, Oct. 1983, for intentionally tripping a linesman.

20 games - Brad May, Phoenix, Nov. 15, 2000, for hitting Columbus' Steve Heinze on the nose with his stick in a game on Nov. 11. [/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7968 upvotes
1226 wrote: Well you definitely can't say the NHL isn't getting tougher with their punishments. Tied for the longest suspension in NHL history. And this incident is far from the worst act in the history of the NHL. Everything below it on that list at the bottom was more serious - probably the next 20 as well.

Not that I'm complaining though. I'm glad to see the NHL get serious with these suspensions.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=220462
I agree it wasn't that bad, since Kesler wasn't even injured, but I think it's good that the NHL is setting a new precedent with this stiff suspension. This should send a strong message that even not injuring a player is grounds for a long suspension.

Hopefully this decreases the number of goal-crashers that try to run over goalies, but I doubt it.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Lone_Prodigy wrote: Hopefully this decreases the number of goal-crashers that try to run over goalies, but I doubt it.
Only way to do that is to put the steel pegs back in the nets so it doesn't pop off so easy. D-men can't lay a hand on a guy cutting to the net (automatic holding penalty) so as long as you're decently strong on their skates, you can go to the net with relative impunity. And even if you crash into it, it'll pop off the moorings and you'll get up unscathed. Anchor those posts like a parking meter and watch goalie crashings become non-existant. In exchange you'll have to endure a handful of pretty serious injuries, when somebody catches an edge and goes sliding into a post. Which is of course why they introduced the new easy-off moorings they use now.
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7968 upvotes
1226 wrote: Only way to do that is to put the steel pegs back in the nets so it doesn't pop off so easy. D-men can't lay a hand on a guy cutting to the net (automatic holding penalty) so as long as you're decently strong on their skates, you can go to the net with relative impunity. And even if you crash into it, it'll pop off the moorings and you'll get up unscathed. Anchor those posts like a parking meter and watch goalie crashings become non-existant. In exchange you'll have to endure a handful of pretty serious injuries, when somebody catches an edge and goes sliding into a post. Which is of course why they introduced the new easy-off moorings they use now.
I can only imagine what happens if you push a goalie into it: he'll take the brunt of the damage, not you. :-0

Great game by the Canucks: Nazzy scored another soft goal, Burrows scores SH, Luongo was solid. Back to .500. :)
Dec 21, 2006
247 posts
Vancouver Island
the canucks looked allright, need to still improve in some areas, but hey we won thats all that matters
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
Lone_Prodigy wrote: I can only imagine what happens if you push a goalie into it: he'll take the brunt of the damage, not you. :-0
Goalies rarely get pushed into the posts or crossbar, they're in the butterfly or sprawling by the time an attacker gets close enough to touch them. It's usually the attacker (or d-man screaming back) who pushes the net off.

Doesn't matter though, it would never happen. Skaters would treat the posts like fire hydrants, they'd never go near them at high speeds.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
28 upvotes
Great win tonight vs the Oilers. First the Lions beat up on Edmonton and then the Canucks :lol: Bad day to be an Edmonton fan lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
3914 posts
6 upvotes
Pretty good back-to-back games for the Canucks against the Oilers. A few soft goals, but they earned a few nice ones off some dumb turnovers. That 2 minute penalty where the Canucks hemmed the Oilers in their own own for the entire PP was insane. The Oilers looked like they were skating in mud. I haven't seen something like that in ages.

The Sharks should be a good test.
My DVDs for sale

"I want you to step back from the guacamole dip! I want you to put the chicken fingers down!"

U2 360 Tour in Vancouver, 2 Tickets for sale http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/pair ... -a-805801/
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7968 upvotes
The Sharks are definitely contenders this year. They've had some rough playoff years, but with such a skilled team they can definitely go far.

I was watching the news the other day and it really looks like the NW will be tough again: Colorado's picked up where they left off last year, Minny's strong as always, especially with a healthy Gaborik, though Iron Mike is a big coin-flip for Calgary. Look for Edmonton to finish in the basement.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
28 upvotes
Matt Cooke was a healthy scratched against the Oil. Is he on his way out maybe? Burrows has become the new pest on the team. I love the Cooker just as much as the next guy but if he doesn't start producing then he won't be missed.

It'll be interesting to see how he reacts on the ice after the healthy scratch.
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7968 upvotes
MVP1 wrote: Matt Cooke was a healthy scratched against the Oil. Is he on his way out maybe? Burrows has become the new pest on the team. I love the Cooker just as much as the next guy but if he doesn't start producing then he won't be missed.

It'll be interesting to see how he reacts on the ice after the healthy scratch.
Has Raymond played beyond the first game?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4857 posts
880 upvotes
Vancity
Lone_Prodigy wrote: Has Raymond played beyond the first game?
He played the philly game, and the last game vs the Oil (when Cooke and Isbister sat out)
Deal Expert
Oct 30, 2006
16321 posts
7968 upvotes
Well 40 minutes a game does not make... 4-1. :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)