Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
3163 posts
1060 upvotes
Damn Hughes is a great player. I thought Jack was supposed to be the star in the family.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19063 posts
2385 upvotes
FreshCo wrote: The only decent Canadian team.
A few years ago, Edmonton made the playoffs and the media was talking about them finally coming around but they haven't made the playoffs since.

The last few years, the talk has been how great the Calgary and Toronto rebuilds are and that they should be the blueprints yet both teams are spinning their tires now.

Just last week, TSN was talking about how Vancouver built this team the right way. I certainly hope we don't follow the Oilers, Flames and Leafs where we look like we were doing well with the rebuild and then poof, done. I hope for a good run this year and another good number of years to follow; hopefully a cup within the next decade. I don't want to be like the other rebuilding Canadian teams that peak by winning a round and then not making the playoffs for several years afterwards.

With a flat cap, Marky's gonna be looking for big money. Virtanen is an RFA currently at $1.25m (I'm thinking he may get a bridge deal with a bit of a raise if he continues to be decent in the Vegas series). The cap crunch is real.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Jun 28, 2019
437 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
sharpshooter88 wrote: Damn Hughes is a great player. I thought Jack was supposed to be the star in the family.
Reminds me of Niedermayer the way he glides around and his poise with the puck. We’re truly blessed to have a player of his caliber on our team. He’s only a rookie, hard to believe the way he plays

Vegas won’t be easy, Marky needs to start stealing games and we need Toffoli back
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5837 posts
4261 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Wow Quinn Hughes got robbed of the Calder Trophy.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3771 posts
578 upvotes
Leuven
bomber17 wrote: Wow Quinn Hughes got robbed of the Calder Trophy.
How do you figure he was robbed? They are both incredible, can't go wrong with Hughes or Makar for the Calder this year. Makar had the playoffs last year and really hot start this year which I think gave him the narrative for the year which is hard to overcome.

Either way, crazy the young talent the Canucks have right now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5342 posts
2286 upvotes
Vancouver
rumour has Pens offering Tanev 5year contract to match his brothers if he hits UFA. I bet it will be around $5 mil/yr
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7429 posts
5265 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote: canucks against the leafs today !
Looking forward to taking 6 points over the next week - away from you, that is!! Grinning Face
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7429 posts
5265 upvotes
Toronto
GP Legend wrote: Laffs fans truly are dumb.
The dummies sure will enjoy the 6 points procured from the Canucks over the next week. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
2192 posts
373 upvotes
Summerland
shikotee wrote: The dummies sure will enjoy the 6 points procured from the Canucks over the next week. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Is there a reason you are coming to our thread to try to trash talk like a loser? Stay in your own garbage thread.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
7429 posts
5265 upvotes
Toronto
GP Legend wrote: Is there a reason you are coming to our thread to try to trash talk like a loser? Stay in your own garbage thread.
Yikes. No northern rivalry spirit.
Bad karma.

Edit - the prophecy hath come true. Sorry for your pain. Best of luck with the Flames.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3351 posts
1995 upvotes
GVRD
Time for a management change.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19226 posts
3449 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
scv wrote: Time for a management change.
Yes. 7 years, two playoff appearances.

Mike Gillis - 6 years, 5 playoff appearances, 5 division titles,1 conference title, and 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance.
Dave Nonis, 3 years, 1 playoff appearance, 1 division title.
Brian Burke, 6 years, 4 playoff appearances, 1 division title.
Pat Quinn, 9+ years, 7 playoff appearances, 2 division titles, 1 conference title, 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance
Jack Gordon, 2 years, 1 playoff appearance.
Harry Neale, 3 years, 2 playoff appearances.
Jake Milford, 5 years, 4 playoff appearances, 1 conference title, 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance.
Phil Maloney, 3+ years, 2 playoff appearances, 1 division title.
Bud Poile, 3 years, no playoff appearances, but they were an expansion team.

Probably the worst GM in Canucks history.

Looks like only 3 GMs didn't make the playoffs in at least half their seasons. Polie was running an expansion team, and Nonis still had a far better record than Benning. 42, 49, and 39 win seasons under Nonis. Benning's Canucks have only had one season better than Nonis' worst year. And Nonis did a lot of the groundwork for the best Canucks team ever in 2011.

Zero chance he keeps his job after this year.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19226 posts
3449 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
And when I said "probably" the worst, what I actually meant was "definitely" the worst.

Most of free agent signings were bad, most of his trades were bad, his drafting only rescues him a bit. Petterson was a fantastic pick, Boeser was pretty good, Hughes fell to them so it was an obvious choice, and Virtanen and Juolevi were busts.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
2192 posts
373 upvotes
Summerland
i6s1 wrote: And when I said "probably" the worst, what I actually meant was "definitely" the worst.

Most of free agent signings were bad, most of his trades were bad, his drafting only rescues him a bit. Petterson was a fantastic pick, Boeser was pretty good, Hughes fell to them so it was an obvious choice, and Virtanen and Juolevi were busts.
Uh, no, he isn't the worst GM in history.

The real problem is the owner. Aqualini does nothing but meddle and refused a rebuild when it was clear we needed one back in 2013. Gillis basically admitted as much just before he was fired. If he fires Benning, expect another rookie GM that will just be another yes man. Speculation is that Aqualini doesn't want to spend the money for quality management and coaching. If that's the case, we are just going to end up like the Sabers, which we are on our way to being, anyways.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
21735 posts
1653 upvotes
Shanghai, China
i6s1 wrote: And when I said "probably" the worst, what I actually meant was "definitely" the worst.

Totally agree with you. Canucks' path back to relevance have stalled because those two top picks failed.

Virtanen's stock continues to drop. He's now accused of sexual assault.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ca ... legations/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)