Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
203 upvotes
Haz wrote: So, anyone here think dumping the under-performing Kevin Connauton might come and bite us in the ***** like Grabner (only harder since Connauton is in the West)?

http://www.defendingbigd.com/dallas-sta ... aily-links

How's that for a kick in the junk posted the day after the Canucks got eliminated?

I didn't watch any Wolves games with Connauton so I can say if his poor play was because of the situations he was put in or coaching or what. Something in the way prospects are developed is broken and I hope buying the Rivermen will help fix that.

On the Peoria Rivermen front, there's word that the Canucks may keep the franchise dormant for a season while Rivermen management may help put in an SPHL team in Peoria with the same Rivermen name.
meh, he could always score points; still can't defend worth **** in the AHL (don't see how that would change in the NHL). He's like a *dumber* version of "Special Ed".
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
28 upvotes
Where'd all the Leafs fans go? I should be quiet since I don't wanna get warned again.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
158 upvotes
MVP1 wrote: Where'd all the Leafs fans go? I should be quiet since I don't wanna get warned again.
Everytime I try to post in this thread, it gets deleted, so maybe that is what happened to the rest of them.
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
BornRuff wrote: Everytime I try to post in this thread, it gets deleted, so maybe that is what happened to the rest of them.
I think the message being sent here is perfectly clear:

"Be Careful what you wish for."

Please refer to a post you made yesterday:

leafs-talk-painful-but-proud-team-young ... st16803602
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
VCR wrote: My guess is that it probably doesn't make business sense to keep them in Peoria and the alternative locations aren't much better. There was talk about Rogers Arena but there will be overlap with the target audience with the WHL team in the same city.
Heard this morning on team radio that 'territorial rights' is an issue with the Abbotsford Franchise ... i'm not sure if there would also be a tacit understanding between the WHL and AHL that they don't infringe on each others territory as well. the ulitmate goal for the canucks is to move the team to abby ...

to expedite the process, would probably mean even lower attendance to the abby heat games which would force the city's hand to be more proactive in replacing the flames owned ahl franchise with a canucks one.
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
MS MSP wrote: Vokoun is arguably a better goalie than LOLuongo straight up....not even taking into account contracts.

Vokoun i believe is in year one of a 2 year deal.
The only thing one could "argue" that is "better" about TV over Bobby Lu is that there isn't a long term commitment with respect to their contract situation.

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2549 posts
1196 upvotes
Surrey
Just heard that canucks won't be signing Derek Roy. In reality gillis failed again this trade and we gave up lot for center. First we traded hodgson for kassian and now to get center we gave Kevin Connauton and second round pick.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14720 posts
4132 upvotes
paaji wrote: Just heard that canucks won't be signing Derek Roy. In reality gillis failed again this trade and we gave up lot for center. First we traded hodgson for kassian and now to get center we gave Kevin Connauton and second round pick.
I didn't see the Canucks re-signing Roy at all. He was asking for second-line centre money when the Canucks still have Henrik and Kesler.

Something interesting I read the other day: Gillis is an excellent agent but a sub-par GM. You can see in the sleep doctors, conditioning, dressing room upgrades, etc. that players want to play here and will sign for less to do so. But when it comes to the team structure, playstyle, and building a winner, he has had less success.

This is where I think a new coach would help. I think AV stuck around because he convinced Gillis he could change the team, but I don't think AV ever accomplished that outside of the regular season.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Lone_Prodigy wrote: I didn't see the Canucks re-signing Roy at all. He was asking for second-line centre money when the Canucks still have Henrik and Kesler.

Something interesting I read the other day: Gillis is an excellent agent but a sub-par GM. You can see in the sleep doctors, conditioning, dressing room upgrades, etc. that players want to play here and will sign for less to do so. But when it comes to the team structure, playstyle, and building a winner, he has had less success.

This is where I think a new coach would help. I think AV stuck around because he convinced Gillis he could change the team, but I don't think AV ever accomplished that outside of the regular season.
Who wrote that? I think it's pretty clear that his pro scouting hasn't been successful in two of his major trades, Ballard and Booth ... although I still hold out hope that Booth will become an effective player. He better be, because I don't like the Canucks chances of landing Clarkson or Iggy via UFA given their cap situation. Booth may be a cap casualty as well but I think the Canucks are going to use a lot of their prospects on their roster. Corrado is a likely candidate with Jensen and Gaunce getting playing time. We could see three rookies regularly in the line-up next season due to their cap issues but that's not necessarily a bad thing as they would be replacing the likes of Ballard (who was never a proper fit here under Coach AV), Ebbetts, Ses or Pin etc..

Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2007
1841 posts
28 upvotes
paaji wrote: Just heard that canucks won't be signing Derek Roy. In reality gillis failed again this trade and we gave up lot for center. First we traded hodgson for kassian and now to get center we gave Kevin Connauton and second round pick.
I really gotta question some of Gillis' moves after the Cup run, I know Hodgson wanted out but that so far looks like an awful awful trade, mind you Kassian is still young, then the whole handling of Lu/Schneider, say what you wanna say it was a distraction and the talk of the town, Gillis should of got rid of Lu, i'm not even gonna bring up letting Raffi Torres walk for what a mill? Gillis needs to get his sh*t together
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18791 posts
2067 upvotes
I don't think anyone though Roy was anything but a rental. He was looking $5+ million per year and he's not worth that.
MVP1 wrote: I really gotta question some of Gillis' moves after the Cup run, I know Hodgson wanted out but that so far looks like an awful awful trade, mind you Kassian is still young, then the whole handling of Lu/Schneider, say what you wanna say it was a distraction and the talk of the town, Gillis should of got rid of Lu, i'm not even gonna bring up letting Raffi Torres walk for what a mill? Gillis needs to get his sh*t together
Torres wanted 2 years but Gillis only wanted 1. At the time, I assume Gillis thought there was too much risk given how undisciplined he was when it came to big hits.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Haz wrote: I don't think anyone though Roy was anything but a rental. He was looking $5+ million per year and he's not worth that.
You know, the the funny thing is ... a team with a lack of depth and talent like the Flames will probably offer him something close to that. It would be hard for a team that is almost CAP MAXED out like the Canucks to make a long-term commitment for him since he'd be at best third on the depth chart. He also doesn't fit the profile the Canucks are alleged to be looking for in a player. To be honest, I'd be much more interesting if the direction they take is to provide an opportunity for a prospect like Gaunce becomes a third/fourth line centre next season over getting a market inflated UFA centre.
Torres wanted 2 years but Gillis only wanted 1. At the time, I assume Gillis thought there was too much risk given how undisciplined he was when it came to big hits.
Apparently, as reported by Botchford ... part of the reason why the Canucks were "eager" to move Bobby Lu at the deadline was that they were going to use one of their seconds they wanted back for him flipped in a subsequent trade for Torres. When the Bobby Lu deal didn't pan out,the chance to acquire Torres was effectively gone.

Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
Sooooooo, Canucks Fans: If you were ownership and GM and had an opportunity to effectively "buy" a decent prospect like nino niederreiter, like they do in soccer ... how much in terms of dollar amount paid in installments over a period of 16 years?

Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18791 posts
2067 upvotes
Kevin Woodley (big goalie guy) puts Luongo as a "for sure" for Sochi. His second pick was Mike Smith because and 3rd is probably Price. However, if Price starts next season like he ended this season, he's not likely gonna make the cut.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18791 posts
2067 upvotes
Utica is the front runner for the Canucks farm team?!

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news ... 1113df5c82

Doesn't really make sense. The facility is old, can only hold 4000 people and they have a population of 62,000 in the middle of nowhere, NY.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale: