Credit Cards

Capital One Aspire Travel no longer as good

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 11:26 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
25 posts
34 upvotes

Capital One Aspire Travel no longer as good

Hi all,
Now that Capital One Aspire Travel is reducing their benefits, I'm wondering what the next card should be. BMO World Elite seems to be a good one. We spend a considerable chunk on our Mastercard a year and Capital One was beneficial. We travel usually once per year and are a family of 5. Thougths?

Thanks
11 replies
Member
May 16, 2005
238 posts
14 upvotes
slycaper wrote: Hi all,
Now that Capital One Aspire Travel is reducing their benefits, I'm wondering what the next card should be. BMO World Elite seems to be a good one. We spend a considerable chunk on our Mastercard a year and Capital One was beneficial. We travel usually once per year and are a family of 5. Thougths?

Thanks
Same. Trying to decide if there is another card out there. I put appx 30k (600/m on gas, 1k /m groceries, etc ) a year on the C1. I'm going through the larger thread but there's ALOT to read. Also using the credit card calls like ratehub but they all have varying results and I'm not looking for an Amex. Just this weekend alone 5 different places did not accept it so had to use the C1. I also like how with C1 I can purchase trips anywhere (Expedia, from airline direct , etc) and simply redeem through their site.

Let us know if you come across anything.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2005
4465 posts
1204 upvotes
Markham
I think it comes down to a few options

1. Rogers WE - 1.5% earn on everything (same as new C1 Aspire Travel but no annual fee); and 3% -2.5% on forex —insurance features aren’t as good; also requires $15K annual spend

2. HSBC WE - 3% on travel, no forex fees, same 1.5% on everything; $150 fee but $100 travel credit + extra $50 off if you’re Premier; different insurance coverage (e.g. more medical emergency coverage days but no purchase price protection ) — redemption starts at minimum 25K points,

3. Brim WE - 2% on everything (max $25K) and no forex, 4% on amazon — $200 annual fee after 1st year and drops to earn 1% after 25K spend per year

4. No fee Mix and match - Simplii for 4% on bars/restaurants, Tangerine WE for 2% earn; PCF for 3% at Loblaws banner stores and SDM/T&T; Triange WE for 4% Canadian Store, SportChek, Marks and 3% groceries; 2.5% on amazon with Amazon MC etc..

5. Pick any of the current FYF cashback cards from BMO, Scotia, TD, etc,.. for 10% cash back and first year free and wait until something else better comes along.

Brim is interesting but if you spend too little you don’t recoup the higher $199 fee, but spend too much and you’re in 1% land. In fact it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you consider the free Rogers WE give 1.5%. If you spend 25K, Brim nets you $500-$200 = $300; On 1.5% earn, you’d get $375. And above 25K you are losing (1% vs 1.5%). So Brim doesn’t make sense at all unless your forex spend is very high. Considering HSBC is essentially a $50 fee card, you’re still ahead of Brim after $25K spend. Spend less and you don’t make up for the $200 fee. So Brim is good with the first year free, but is not a good long term card. You might as well churn one of those 10% promo cashback cards.

You can potentially earn more with mix and match but it requires managing multiple cards and spend categories.

I’m starting to look at option #2 as the most attractive if you have a lot of travel and forex spend. Or Rogers WE if you don’t do a lot of travel. Then top up with one or two of those category cards from #3 to accelerate some categories.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Member
May 16, 2005
238 posts
14 upvotes
Jonavin wrote: I think it comes down to a few options

1. Rogers WE - 1.5% earn on everything (same as new C1 Aspire Travel but no annual fee); and 3% -2.5% on forex —insurance features aren’t as good; also requires $15K annual spend

2. HSBC WE - 3% on travel, no forex fees, same 1.5% on everything; $150 fee but $100 travel credit + extra $50 off if you’re Premier; different insurance coverage (e.g. more medical emergency coverage days but no purchase price protection ) — redemption starts at minimum 25K points,

3. Brim WE - 2% on everything (max $25K) and no forex, 4% on amazon — $200 annual fee after 1st year and drops to earn 1% after 25K spend per year

4. No fee Mix and match - Simplii for 4% on bars/restaurants, Tangerine WE for 2% earn; PCF for 3% at Loblaws banner stores and SDM/T&T; Triange WE for 4% Canadian Store, SportChek, Marks and 3% groceries; 2.5% on amazon with Amazon MC etc..

5. Pick any of the current FYF cashback cards from BMO, Scotia, TD, etc,.. for 10% cash back and first year free and wait until something else better comes along.

Brim is interesting but if you spend too little you don’t recoup the higher $199 fee, but spend too much and you’re in 1% land. In fact it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you consider the free Rogers WE give 1.5%. If you spend 25K, Brim nets you $500-$200 = $300; On 1.5% earn, you’d get $375. And above 25K you are losing (1% vs 1.5%). So Brim doesn’t make sense at all unless your forex spend is very high. Considering HSBC is essentially a $50 fee card, you’re still ahead of Brim after $25K spend. Spend less and you don’t make up for the $200 fee. So Brim is good with the first year free, but is not a good long term card. You might as well churn one of those 10% promo cashback cards.

You can potentially earn more with mix and match but it requires managing multiple cards and spend categories.

I’m starting to look at option #2 as the most attractive if you have a lot of travel and forex spend. Or Rogers WE if you don’t do a lot of travel. Then top up with one or two of those category cards from #3 to accelerate some categories.
How do you redeem for travel ? Is it like the C1 ? Book where you want and redeem online?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15515 posts
13991 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Jonavin wrote: I think it comes down to a few options

1. Rogers WE - 1.5% earn on everything (same as new C1 Aspire Travel but no annual fee); and 3% -2.5% on forex —insurance features aren’t as good; also requires $15K annual spend

2. HSBC WE - 3% on travel, no forex fees, same 1.5% on everything; $150 fee but $100 travel credit + extra $50 off if you’re Premier; different insurance coverage (e.g. more medical emergency coverage days but no purchase price protection ) — redemption starts at minimum 25K points,

3. Brim WE - 2% on everything (max $25K) and no forex, 4% on amazon — $200 annual fee after 1st year and drops to earn 1% after 25K spend per year

4. No fee Mix and match - Simplii for 4% on bars/restaurants, Tangerine WE for 2% earn; PCF for 3% at Loblaws banner stores and SDM/T&T; Triange WE for 4% Canadian Store, SportChek, Marks and 3% groceries; 2.5% on amazon with Amazon MC etc..

5. Pick any of the current FYF cashback cards from BMO, Scotia, TD, etc,.. for 10% cash back and first year free and wait until something else better comes along.

Brim is interesting but if you spend too little you don’t recoup the higher $199 fee, but spend too much and you’re in 1% land. In fact it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you consider the free Rogers WE give 1.5%. If you spend 25K, Brim nets you $500-$200 = $300; On 1.5% earn, you’d get $375. And above 25K you are losing (1% vs 1.5%). So Brim doesn’t make sense at all unless your forex spend is very high. Considering HSBC is essentially a $50 fee card, you’re still ahead of Brim after $25K spend. Spend less and you don’t make up for the $200 fee. So Brim is good with the first year free, but is not a good long term card. You might as well churn one of those 10% promo cashback cards.

You can potentially earn more with mix and match but it requires managing multiple cards and spend categories.

I’m starting to look at option #2 as the most attractive if you have a lot of travel and forex spend. Or Rogers WE if you don’t do a lot of travel. Then top up with one or two of those category cards from #3 to accelerate some categories.
I highly recommend a 2-4 card combo on rotation. For those who want strictly no-AF, you're looking at a 4-7 card combo to maximize every category (yuck). If okay with at least one AF card, you can do a lot of damage with at least 2-3 cards in regular use.

The Cap1 exodus has been discussed in its product thread. There's also a combos thread. Rogers MC and many other cards mentioned here have at least one thread discussing that card. Which card(s) is best will be a personal choice...but I think most people can maximize rewards by combining an AmEx (Cobalt, BNS Gold, AmEx Plat, etc.), an MC (CTFS remains my first pick, Brim also good), a VISA (TD Cash from the States or Simplii), and decide what features matter (roadside assistance, travel insurances, mobile device protection, domestic/US extended warranty, no-FTF, etc.).
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Member
May 16, 2005
238 posts
14 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: I highly recommend a 2-4 card combo on rotation. For those who want strictly no-AF, you're looking at a 4-7 card combo to maximize every category (yuck). If okay with at least one AF card, you can do a lot of damage with at least 2-3 cards in regular use.

The Cap1 exodus has been discussed in its product thread. There's also a combos thread. Rogers MC and many other cards mentioned here have at least one thread discussing that card. Which card(s) is best will be a personal choice...but I think most people can maximize rewards by combining an AmEx (Cobalt, BNS Gold, AmEx Plat, etc.), an MC (CTFS remains my first pick, Brim also good), a VISA (TD Cash from the States or Simplii), and decide what features matter (roadside assistance, travel insurances, mobile device protection, domestic/US extended warranty, no-FTF, etc.).
What 2 to 4 cards do you recommend ? Reading trying to figure out how to make the most of the points. I have a bus Amex Bonvoy, the C1 and just applied for the HSBC WE ( which is a pain as they're asking me to go in for ID check). Spend no less than 30k a year.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15515 posts
13991 upvotes
Going to the Moon
savvacon wrote: What 2 to 4 cards do you recommend ? Reading trying to figure out how to make the most of the points. I have a bus Amex Bonvoy, the C1 and just applied for the HSBC WE ( which is a pain as they're asking me to go in for ID check). Spend no less than 30k a year.
Not a terrible combo. The Bonvoy card will depend much more on whether it fits your lifestyle. My proposed combo (which I've mentioned many times)
  1. slot one AmEx. For most of us, Cobalt. Else, BNS Gold, or AmEx Plat. Dunno whether Bonvoy could hit this slot, but if it works for you, and you're doing well with the accelerators, then great
  2. Slot two will be your lead backup to AmEx. I propose a solid MC. My first pick is CTFS Down-pointing Red Triangle WE. If HSBC, Rogers or Brim works better for you, then pick that
  3. Slot three. Hopefully a card you're using a lot less or at least don't actively rely on carrying it around. I propose a VISA. TD Cash VISA from the US, or if you're heavy on telecommunications and insurance, then BNS Momentum Inf, Else Simplii for non-AmEx AmEx resto. Though an MC, Brim can fit this slot if you have no other card for forex spend
  4. Slot four: here's where you can throw in a card that runs you other cool feats. AmEx Bonvoy or BBP . But there could be other options

Basically you want a strong 3-4 card combo, then churn or drawer the rest. You want a balance on maximizing earns ones, plus your top features (travel insurance, roadside assistance, forex spend, mobile device protection, extended warranty in Canada and US). I'd say pick the features that matter to you and skip the rest.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1264 posts
46 upvotes
My combo over the last couple of years has been:

TD Visa Infinite Cashback - 3% gas/groceries/pre-auth, roadside assistance
Aspire Travel World - 2% everything else
Travel card churning whenever a promo comes up

My contingency is to move to the Aspire Cash World for 1.5% cashback and keep my existing setup.

I have been thinking about possibly adding more but it seems it will be too complicated to setup to maximize rewards:
1. Simply Visa for 4% food (cannot use amex as not widely accepted at most establishments I order food/drink). I don't spend a ton on food and usually pay cash but this will probably net me about $50-$100 per year over a 1.5% cashback card
2. CT Triangle World Elite - better roadside and bill payment rewards

So it will move me from my 2-3 cards to 4-5 cards which seems like a bit too much to manage.

I don't spend too much on travel and given covid, I probably won't be doing any until next year and the earliest. I think continuing to churn travel card signup bonuses is still the way to go for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15515 posts
13991 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Macross_Freek wrote: My combo over the last couple of years has been:

TD Visa Infinite Cashback - 3% gas/groceries/pre-auth, roadside assistance
Aspire Travel World - 2% everything else
Travel card churning whenever a promo comes up

My contingency is to move to the Aspire Cash World for 1.5% cashback and keep my existing setup.

I have been thinking about possibly adding more but it seems it will be too complicated to setup to maximize rewards:
1. Simply Visa for 4% food (cannot use amex as not widely accepted at most establishments I order food/drink). I don't spend a ton on food and usually pay cash but this will probably net me about $50-$100 per year over a 1.5% cashback card
2. CT Triangle World Elite - better roadside and bill payment rewards

So it will move me from my 2-3 cards to 4-5 cards which seems like a bit too much to manage.

I don't spend too much on travel and given covid, I probably won't be doing any until next year and the earliest. I think continuing to churn travel card signup bonuses is still the way to go for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Cobalt wouldn't work for you?
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2005
4465 posts
1204 upvotes
Markham
Macross_Freek wrote: My combo over the last couple of years has been:

TD Visa Infinite Cashback - 3% gas/groceries/pre-auth, roadside assistance
Aspire Travel World - 2% everything else
Travel card churning whenever a promo comes up

My contingency is to move to the Aspire Cash World for 1.5% cashback and keep my existing setup.

I have been thinking about possibly adding more but it seems it will be too complicated to setup to maximize rewards:
1. Simply Visa for 4% food (cannot use amex as not widely accepted at most establishments I order food/drink). I don't spend a ton on food and usually pay cash but this will probably net me about $50-$100 per year over a 1.5% cashback card
2. CT Triangle World Elite - better roadside and bill payment rewards

So it will move me from my 2-3 cards to 4-5 cards which seems like a bit too much to manage.

I don't spend too much on travel and given covid, I probably won't be doing any until next year and the earliest. I think continuing to churn travel card signup bonuses is still the way to go for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Seems reasonable. CTFS might be worth the trouble just for bill payments if you have a lot of those that wouldn't otherwise be earning nay points. I wished I had the Aspire Cash to fallback on, but that's what I would do if I were you. Churn and wait for better cards.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Newbie
Apr 10, 2017
11 posts
8 upvotes
Just got my Amex SimplyCash Preferred for 2% cash back.
C1 Costco MC as backup.
That's what I'm going with for now, anyway.
I don't want the hassle of dealing with different rewards levels for different types of purchases, and I'd prefer to deal with Amex over HSBC as far as customer service goes.

It's getting harder and harder to earn rewards. I still remember the days of the Citi Driver's Edge 3% rebate with a tear in my eye...

Top