Credit Cards

Capital One Aspire TRAVEL World Elite MC - Discontinued, but not dead yet!

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2022 8:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2003
8016 posts
736 upvotes
Edmonton
Rxman wrote: As former card holder, I am glad now on reflection they nerfed this card. It forced me to go and explore other avenues, and as such I have discovered an entirely new world of cards and other travel combos, far in excess of this one.
What did you replace with ?
Member
User avatar
Feb 17, 2014
242 posts
113 upvotes
Montr
Rxman wrote: As former card holder, I am glad now on reflection they nerfed this card. It forced me to go and explore other avenues, and as such I have discovered an entirely new world of cards and other travel combos, far in excess of this one.
Seems like you discovered hot water elsewhere. Please do share if you have better experience with other cards.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 1, 2005
17190 posts
11916 upvotes
Markham
Hellfire wrote: What did you replace with ?
everylittlecent wrote: yes i would like to know as well. Thinking of the HSBC world mastercard which seems comparable although it has a primary cardholder fee of 150 and secondary $50. if cap one continues i dont want to cancel hence my question above
Considering the Scotia card right now....it'll pay out the cashback in November.

$150 Amazon e-Gift Card

Welcome Offer:
Earn 10% cash back on all purchases for the first 3 months (up to $2,000 in total purchases)1. Plus, no annual fee in the first year, including on supplementary cards1

Scotia Cash Back Rewards:
4% cash back earned on recurring bills and grocery purchases
2% cash back earned on gas and daily transit
1% cash back earned on all other purchases

scotiabank-scotia-momentum-visa-infinit ... s-2527891/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 28, 2009
1482 posts
462 upvotes
Ottawa
thanks all. I wanted a mastercard as I have a Visa. applied for the HSBC world elite and got approved. once i get the card i will have to cancel the Cap One (after using up the rewards) . do they reimburse or pro rate the annual fee Smiling Face With Open Mouth

applied through Rakuten (formerly Ebates) and should get $120 as well.
Member
Oct 11, 2007
207 posts
171 upvotes
Got the HSBC world Elite and got over 225k points now, waiting to unleash on some trip, and it got no foreign exchange extra charge, that's my MC and got the AMEX aeroplan reserve last summer with the sign ups and got over 150k aeroplan out of it and another 150k referrals, bonus points shopping, and stays at some hotels they had. Now with over 300k aeroplan points, I can do some business class trips and got 25k elite as well, so free bags, lounge access, skip the line, etc etc. The CAP1 would never have given me that. I just kept that card yr to yr spending and spending, without really thinking what else is out there. Now I have a new game plan.....
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
11619 posts
3077 upvotes
Kingston
Will Capital One allow you to change from this card to their Aspire Travel™ Platinum Mastercard which has no fee, but has the same extended warranty benefit? I'd like to keep the extended warranty on past purchases but wouldn't pay the $120 annual fee to do so.

EDIT: Did an online chat and they will not allow a change/transfer.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
910 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
I have a similar question for those who have closed the Capital One World Elite:

1. Do they allow switching the account to a no fee Credit Card? Any credit card with no fee that they offer. I'd like to keep this card as a backup

2. I still have $800 worth of points, but I don't have any travel expenses to redeem them before I close the card. If I switch to a no fee card, can I still exchange those points in the future at the same 100 points for 1$ ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
11619 posts
3077 upvotes
Kingston
CCorbu wrote: I have a similar question for those who have closed the Capital One World Elite:

1. Do they allow switching the account to a no fee Credit Card? Any credit card with no fee that they offer. I'd like to keep this card as a backup

2. I still have $800 worth of points, but I don't have any travel expenses to redeem them before I close the card. If I switch to a no fee card, can I still exchange those points in the future at the same 100 points for 1$ ?
1. As per the post immediately above yours, CapOne does not allow switching
2. You can't switch. But you can use your points by booking a hotel with free cancellation. Wait until it posts to your account and apply your points. Then cancel the hotel.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
910 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
Got it, thank you for the idea with the hotel cancellation, I can use the points this way before I cancel.

Also, do they refund the annual fee remaining for this year? My renewal date is in November, will they refund that or send a cheque at home?
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
11619 posts
3077 upvotes
Kingston
CCorbu wrote: Got it, thank you for the idea with the hotel cancellation, I can use the points this way before I cancel.

Also, do they refund the annual fee remaining for this year? My renewal date is in November, will they refund that or send a cheque at home?
Don't know if they'll do a partial refund. Call, find out and let us know.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
910 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
Quick question related to electronics purchases with the Capital One Card > if I cancel it, will I lose the extended warranty too? Or will it still count since I had the card at the time of purchase?
Member
User avatar
Oct 12, 2020
455 posts
687 upvotes
Ontario
CCorbu wrote: Quick question related to electronics purchases with the Capital One Card > if I cancel it, will I lose the extended warranty too? Or will it still count since I had the card at the time of purchase?
You will lose any insurances regarding it, and this is the case with all, if not, most CCs. This includes cases of PS as well, where it could still be the same credit line with same numbers but a different product ultimately.
List of BEST Credit Cards for the Frequent Flyer/Rewards/Loyalty Programs you want to pursue - includes Personal and Business cards + WYDRAZOR'S TOP PICKS
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
910 posts
276 upvotes
Calgary
Damn, that is very unfortunate, I was hoping I can close the card soon. Lesson to be learned I guess, chose my daily driver credit card carefully.
Newbie
Jun 29, 2020
11 posts
11 upvotes
I still have my card -- just couldn't be bothered to change it over. I had tons of points and appreciated the flexibility in travel redemption.

However, I see that they are launching a new credit card -- Venture X that has lots of benefits that the old Aspire of yesteryears used to have, except with a bit more : much more point gains on travel bookings (10x on hotels booked through Capital One Travel,and 5x on flights), anniversary points, and even lounge access, The fee is higher but it might be worth it.

Should I cancel my Aspire and/or move over to Venture X? Y'all are the experts so I thought I'd come here first!
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2004
1070 posts
607 upvotes
Brownlibra wrote: Should I cancel my Aspire and/or move over to Venture X? Y'all are the experts so I thought I'd come here first!
The Venture X is a US card, so unless you are already getting cards in that market, you're out of luck there.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1141 posts
832 upvotes
Edmonton
Been a good run since 2011 but cancelled my card just now. 1.5% cash back for $120 annual fee with no other benefits wasn't worth it. Other cards with similar annual fees give at least lounge access or something else.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2006
1141 posts
832 upvotes
Edmonton
Brownlibra wrote: I still have my card -- just couldn't be bothered to change it over. I had tons of points and appreciated the flexibility in travel redemption.

However, I see that they are launching a new credit card -- Venture X that has lots of benefits that the old Aspire of yesteryears used to have, except with a bit more : much more point gains on travel bookings (10x on hotels booked through Capital One Travel,and 5x on flights), anniversary points, and even lounge access, The fee is higher but it might be worth it.

Should I cancel my Aspire and/or move over to Venture X? Y'all are the experts so I thought I'd come here first!
Even if you could get the Venture X in Canada, a $400 USD fee would be $500 CAD. That's a lot fee to recoup in rewards.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
11619 posts
3077 upvotes
Kingston
After starting this thread in June 2010 for this card, it is my last month with this card before cancelling it. It was a great card for a long time. With the loss of the annual reward of $100 in points and reduction to 1.5%, I moved to the HSBC WE MC. I'm in the US for 4-5 months a year so it's no-FX fees feature is a big win for me.

Balance is zero. Rewards balance is -545 (oops!). Moved all my recurring bills to HSBC card. Waiting another month in case I have an extended warranty claim, but will cancel before the next annual fee.

Good bye old friend.

Top